Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:29:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinWallet says Bitcoin stress test in September will create 30-day backlog  (Read 1100 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 05:07:31 PM

CoinWallet says Bitcoin stress test in September will create 30-day backlog

UK-based mining service CoinWallet is gearing up to conduct a stress test of the Bitcoin network in early September, which it said will likely render most standard wallet software "worthless" and create "nearly a 30-day backlog".

"We feel that our tests might prove to be the catalyst that propels the core devs and miners to implement the required hard fork that is desperately needed," Coinwallet told BitBeat.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/coinwallet-plans-bitcoin-dust-attack-september-create-30-day-transaction-backlog-1515981

meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:10:40 PM

CoinWallet says Bitcoin stress test in September will create 30-day backlog

UK-based mining service CoinWallet is gearing up to conduct a stress test of the Bitcoin network in early September, which it said will likely render most standard wallet software "worthless" and create "nearly a 30-day backlog".

"We feel that our tests might prove to be the catalyst that propels the core devs and miners to implement the required hard fork that is desperately needed," Coinwallet told BitBeat.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/coinwallet-plans-bitcoin-dust-attack-september-create-30-day-transaction-backlog-1515981

I thought only Gavin would do such attack?

Gee so now we have another evil group?

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:13:18 PM

Again? Is this test going indeed to be on it's finest or are the servers crashing again? And why? We already got the message, thank you...
meono

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:18:07 PM

Again? Is this test going indeed to be on it's finest or are the servers crashing again? And why? We already got the message, thank you...

Are you sure about that? did you read posts from the anti-BitcoinXT campaign?

Here is a summary: their crystal balls tell them we have a long way to get to blocksize limit increase.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:20:56 PM

Woohoooo! Hoooray for a new backlog! What are they planning to do? To prove a point that we need to have bigger blocks because of an intended stress-test? How about the normal days wherein transactions don't fill up the 1mb limit?

A planned heavy transaction numbers is different from the natural-occurring transactions per day on the network, so I don't really see what's the point of this stress-testing aside from pushing XT fork to happen.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:28:00 PM

Here is a summary: their crystal balls tell them we have a long way to get to blocksize limit increase.

Yes, I am pretty much sure we already got the message. Otherwise, block size increase probably wouldn't be in the talks right now. The message is "you need to do something if you want many transactions to go through". That's what we already doing. Message has been clearly received and we are working on solving issues.

so I don't really see what's the point of this stress-testing aside from pushing XT fork to happen.

The point is probably creating chaos or disrupting their own service Roll Eyes
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 05:31:05 PM

Woohoooo! Hoooray for a new backlog! What are they planning to do? To prove a point that we need to have bigger blocks because of an intended stress-test? How about the normal days wherein transactions don't fill up the 1mb limit?

A planned heavy transaction numbers is different from the natural-occurring transactions per day on the network, so I don't really see what's the point of this stress-testing aside from pushing XT fork to happen.

It might be profitable for miners to force higher fees.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
21coin

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

Sarthak's a dumb girl

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:31:38 PM

Heck we got the message the first time, don't do it again.

meono

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:34:15 PM

Yes, I am pretty much sure we already got the message. Otherwise, block size increase probably wouldn't be in the talks right now. The message is "you need to do something if you want many transactions to go through". That's what we already doing. Message has been clearly received and we are working on solving issues.

so I don't really see what's the point of this stress-testing aside from pushing XT fork to happen.

really? did you read posts like this:

Minimum benefits, lots of potential damages. XT only worsen the situation of bitcoin. Investors are panicking now because of the "split" which is just unnecessary. Idk why they are pushing bigger block size when in fact 1mb is just right in this current times. What's the most plausible explanation why they are pushing higher block size?

1MB isn't right.  We're already at 50% capacity(and increasing).  I think the recent stress tests showed us that 1MB isn't sufficient.

LN looks great, but it's not ready yet and won't be for a while.  This will help hold us over until other scaling solutions are ready to be deployed.

I don't like the increase schedule in XT, my hope is that XT is the catalyst to get Core team to agree on some sort of increase and we can reassess later once we see how other scaling solutions are progressing.  Just because the network moves to 8MB blocks now doesn't mean that we're beholden to the every two years schedule built into XT now.
The stress tests proved that blocksize isn't an issue. I love how some people come to the completely opposite conclusion.

Even with magnitudes more transactions than usual the network ran smoothly. The doomsday backlog that the stress test people projected never materialized, transaction fees went up to balance the spam and legitimate transactions continued to go through in the next block.

The Bitcoin Core team said block size doesn't need to be increased, and many people here have that view. Propaganda in the media is tricking many into thinking this is an issue when it is not.

Or you're just simply focusing on BitcoinXT supporters post?
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 05:39:17 PM

if you cant handle this stresstests, what will you do when 3-5 millions people join bitcoin in the next year?

21coin

Activity: 493

Sarthak's a dumb girl

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:43:10 PM

if you cant handle this stresstests, what will you do when 3-5 millions people join bitcoin in the next year?

Well I personally can wait until then until the need arises but this fork is just making things worse for bitcoin right now.

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:43:33 PM

really? did you read posts like this:

Minimum benefits, lots of potential damages. XT only worsen the situation of bitcoin. Investors are panicking now because of the "split" which is just unnecessary. Idk why they are pushing bigger block size when in fact 1mb is just right in this current times. What's the most plausible explanation why they are pushing higher block size?

1MB isn't right.  We're already at 50% capacity(and increasing).  I think the recent stress tests showed us that 1MB isn't sufficient.

LN looks great, but it's not ready yet and won't be for a while.  This will help hold us over until other scaling solutions are ready to be deployed.

I don't like the increase schedule in XT, my hope is that XT is the catalyst to get Core team to agree on some sort of increase and we can reassess later once we see how other scaling solutions are progressing.  Just because the network moves to 8MB blocks now doesn't mean that we're beholden to the every two years schedule built into XT now.
The stress tests proved that blocksize isn't an issue. I love how some people come to the completely opposite conclusion.

Even with magnitudes more transactions than usual the network ran smoothly. The doomsday backlog that the stress test people projected never materialized, transaction fees went up to balance the spam and legitimate transactions continued to go through in the next block.

The Bitcoin Core team said block size doesn't need to be increased, and many people here have that view. Propaganda in the media is tricking many into thinking this is an issue when it is not.

Or you're just simply focusing on BitcoinXT supporters post?

I've read such posts and others in the forum. The backlog did not materialize, obviously, their tests failed consecutively and had offline times... They already proved that in full blocks you either pay up fees or you have delays. If you don't want delays you must pay higher. The network handled the situation as desired. But the situation we were in during stress tests wasn't as favorable as the one we have now.

This doesn't have anything to do with supporting XT or Core. This has to do with the blockchain being 100% capable of handling transactions on the next block with small or no fees.
Beefcake

Activity: 279
Merit: 132

Beefcake!!!

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:44:31 PM

Heck we got the message the first time, don't do it again.

Right?  What is the point?  Everyone knows.  We all know something needs to be done.  Why shoot bitcoin in the foot to get it done?  Maybe they want the btc price to plummet, and shut down other miners to decrease difficulty, then they can mine some blocks, and get ahead of the game?

I am in favor of larger block sizes, but this is not the way to make it happen.  In fact, if everyone disagrees with me then the end result will be higher fees imo resulting in BTC  becoming a storage of wealth and LTC becoming the major coin for transactions.  But No one should try to force the issue.  We need a community decision, consensus, not a rogue company trying to prove a point that has already been proven.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:54:12 PM

September seems like a really bad month to do this with back to school crowd wanting access. If this is bothering me as a semi user,sure it will just scare off more people.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:54:32 PM

But is against the concept of bitcoin: low transaction fees.
HCubed

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:02:54 PM

So now, thanks to some misguided crusaders, every Ponzi operator will be gifted with a golden excuse for delayed payments, and every legitimate micro-transaction operation will be slammed as well.

Talk about FUD-packers - these guys take the cake. All hail the stress testers.... not. Roll Eyes
Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:07:19 PM

But is against the concept of bitcoin: low transaction fees.

Its nice that Coinwallet wakes up and decides to cripple the network for a month. Also, how far until we start calling these things attacks and not "stress-tests"?
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:08:49 PM

I think it is still a good thing to show what happens when more transactions are being made..

People that are saying now that the blocks are currently not filled up need to rethink.. Isn't it better to solve a potential problem before it becomes a real problem?
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:11:25 PM

Didn't some pools ignore TXs coming from the "attackers" last time around?
What's stopping them from doing it again?
DiscoverCebu

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:12:51 PM

I think it is still a good thing to show what happens when more transactions are being made..

People that are saying now that the blocks are currently not filled up need to rethink.. Isn't it better to solve a potential problem before it becomes a real problem?
You mean I should start taking lessons about how to be safe from snipers or sharks just because there is a potential threat of one, until its close I dont think this XT discussion is even needed.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: