Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:37:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that we know many XT nodes are fake, what are the implications?  (Read 2587 times)
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:55:22 PM

Title says it.
What are the consequences? Will they still cling to their plans for the Gavincoin-attack even after it is public knowledge that their data is extremely messy and unreliable? If yes, what are the consequences of that?

Underpin your statement!Evidence!If you can't this is pure childish behaviour and not worth to follow any more.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:55:48 PM

all xt nodes seems to run on AWS ip for a start..

+ about 240 nodes simultaneously popped up on aug 17th... Roll Eyes

ps: i sense despair. good.

AWS is awesome for this sort of thing.  I had to max out a 100mb link once to test a service my company developed.  I made and image which would start, run load, collect results, send them to a collector, then automatically shut down.  One simple script and a few dollars later and I had results which a more formal load generation service would have charged me many thousands for.  And it took all of a Saturday morning to do the whole system.  I was with a start-up and we needed to have the tests done by Monday when we had already sold the service.  IIRC I only got the circuit in the datacenter commissioned and the load balancer configured by close-of-business Friday.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6648

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 08:33:07 PM

The implications that I can think of are the consequences of a premature fork. If a large portion of the economic majority use BitcoinXT, while another portion uses NotBitcoinXT, it could make it seem like there is consensus for the fork, when there actually isn't. Then it would cause the fork to occur, split Bitcoin into two chains and now we have a big problem on our hands. As has been long established, hard forks without consensus is a terrible idea.

Another things is that people who aren't using XT see that it looks like XT is gaining support and nearing the fork point (due to NotBitcoinXT) then they might jump to using XT because it seems like XT will cause a fork. This could unintentionally gain support for XT.

Lastly, it could also completely prevent the fork outright if Gavin and Hearn realize that NotBitcoinXT could cause forking issues because of forking without consensus. Then they might cancel or postpone the fork in order to actually prevent Bitcoin from dying because of a fork.

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 08:38:19 PM

Title says it.
What are the consequences? Will they still cling to their plans for the Gavincoin-attack even after it is public knowledge that their data is extremely messy and unreliable? If yes, what are the consequences of that?

You're making a huge and likely inaccurate assumption. What fact do you have that "most XT nodes are fake"? I don't think you have any facts...you have rhetoric that one person put out a way to generate a fake node and you're assuming that loads of people are doing it.

Assumptions are dangerous.

Get some facts and then come back to us!

tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:05:30 PM

all xt nodes seems to run on AWS ip for a start..
Not so.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 10:12:01 PM

I do know about not only a few people hosting fake nodes. Also the spike in nodes coincides with the release of noXT software. Then we have this topic which i think is credible: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1155836.0

If you believe 100% of the nodes are legit this topic is not for you. Anyone with half a brain knows the node count is rigged - to what degree is up for discussion of course.

You're the one that used the word "most".  We asked for evidence that the majority are fake.  You don't seem to have that.

Your evidence shows that at least one(likely more) is fake.  Far cry from most.

You don't have evidence the majority are real.  As OP noted, "the spike in nodes coincides with the release of noXT software."

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 10:17:31 PM

My point is: we don't know, the data is unreliable and this topic was ment to be about discussing the consequences that arise from this unreliable data. If it's 10%, 50%, 90% of the nodes that are fake is not the main question here. The question is: what are the consequences from us not knowing how reliable the data is?

One consequence additional risk for anyone "brave" enough to be the first to defect from Bitcoin's economic consensus.

If you stick your neck out for XT, you might get your head chopped off by NotXT.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

You don't have evidence the majority are real.  As OP noted, "the spike in nodes coincides with the release of noXT software."

btw here is another cite from your own signature (i just read your link):

Given the choice between short-term sticking with 1MB or going all the way to 8MB, I am in favor of going to 8MB.
Given the choice between sticking with Bitcoin Core or switching to Bitcoin-XT, I am in slight favor of sticking with Bitcoin Core, but that could change any time.

i think he is right - on both points...

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 10:26:09 PM

The question is: what are the consequences from us not knowing how reliable the data is?

deceitful individuals playing this little dirty tricks campaign  Cry
further their agenda   Angry
they're welcome to continue throwing what little integrity they have left under the bus.
  Cry

XT is being led into NotXT's deadly trap, and there's nothing you can do to change that.

Try not to be such a poor sport about it, old chap.  The already unseemly self-pity is becoming nauseating.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 10:53:23 PM

Given the choice between short-term sticking with 1MB or going all the way to 8MB, I am in favor of going to 8MB.
Given the choice between sticking with Bitcoin Core or switching to Bitcoin-XT, I am in slight favor of sticking with Bitcoin Core, but that could change any time.

i think he is right - on both points...

while you're at it you might just get one more xmr..
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:01:06 PM

don't see a reason to defend, even the pro xt side should be looking down on this kinda thing, if the battles won with plays like this.......every side loses.

think about it
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:05:08 PM

I do know about not only a few people hosting fake nodes. Also the spike in nodes coincides with the release of noXT software. Then we have this topic which i think is credible: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1155836.0

If you believe 100% of the nodes are legit this topic is not for you. Anyone with half a brain knows the node count is rigged - to what degree is up for discussion of course.

You're the one that used the word "most".  We asked for evidence that the majority are fake.  You don't seem to have that.

Your evidence shows that at least one(likely more) is fake.  Far cry from most.

You don't have evidence the majority are real.  As OP noted, "the spike in nodes coincides with the release of noXT software."

Correlation <> causation

I'm not arguing that most are real, I'm arguing that you can't prove that most are fake.  Making the title of the thread misguided at best, and intentionally inflammatory and misleading at worst.  Stop trying to prove me wrong and worry more about proving yourself right... 

Speaking for myself, I switched my node to XT on Sunday, right around the time that noXT was released.  Had nothing to do with noXT, it just took a couple days before I had time to mess with it.  This is also when the massive revolt on \r\bitcoin started(also one of the catalysts for me to switch, actually...perhaps I'm not alone).  This is my way of voting support for larger blocks.
balu2 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:09:42 PM

Making the title of the thread misguided at best, and intentionally inflammatory and misleading at worst. 

Fixed it for your little feelz so you don't need to cry so much.
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:11:55 PM

Making the title of the thread misguided at best, and intentionally inflammatory and misleading at worst. 

Why so hostile?
balu2 (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:14:18 PM

Why so hostile?

Because the environment is toxic. You should be able to get over it Wink

What does the detail matter much? Nothing for the discussion. Complaining about title just eats up space and time.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:15:46 PM

Correlation <> causation

you might wanna remind this to gavin's derpery linking adoption to blocksize.

or even mass adoption >> bitcoin price surge Roll Eyes

quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:17:05 PM

Why so hostile?

Because the environment is toxic.

So being an ass is making that better somehow?

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:19:13 PM

Implications? None. The rollout logic depends on blocks mined, not nodes running. 
quakefiend420
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:21:53 PM

Correlation <> causation

you might wanna remind this to gavin's derpery linking adoption to blocksize.

or even mass adoption >> bitcoin price surge Roll Eyes

I don't think that anyone on the Dev team has made that claim, have they?

No one is saying that increased block size automatically means increased adoption.  I don't think anyone is talking about price at all here...

On the other hand, consistently full blocks, delayed transaction times, and high fees will certainly stall adoption later.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:37:07 PM

Who cares?
Bitcoin price.

Because of this stupid war between XT and Core, Gavin way vs. classic Satoshi way, progress vs. keepin what is fine atm, fake nodes vs. real xt nodes. All this nonsense is bad.
We all are losing. Bitcoin is losing, media have another idiotic topic just to talk about how bitcoin is torn by war and future is grim.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: