Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:16:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on buying websites  (Read 791 times)
madjules007 (OP)

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:42:54 PM

Hi, not sure where to post this, figured this may be the best place.

I'm looking to roll some of my bitcoin earnings into some passive income. I've seen some offers in the digital goods section from time to time for websites for sale in bitcoin.

Can anyone offer any information/advice on what goes into running/maintaining a website that is already established and well-trafficked? I don't have experience with web design, etc. or SEO.

I assume I would be looking at informational/blog websites that have established traffic. I imagine I might have to hire a freelance developer to make updates to the site, maintain the back end, etc. Any idea what this might cost at various traffic scales? I figure then, I would have to hire freelance writers to generate new content for the sites, keep fresh traffic coming. Not sure what that might cost either. Then I may have to talk to an SEO/marketing consultant to stay on top of that.

Am I missing anything?

Is 12x monthly ad revenue generally a fair asking price for a web site?

Any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 09:01:19 PM

Good questions, I know some of this and can direct you to someone (not on this forum) who knows a lot more.

Running/Maintaining: Content and ads. Content keeps people coming to your page. Ads gets you paid. You need to spend good time on both, it doesn't ahve to be full time but like anything it will need some regular attention (e.g., like taking care of a rental home). If you can't provide refreshed content all the time, consider hiring someone in a freelance role.

Traffic: Google website analyzer will help you understand the traffic that exists, and how you can improve it. To really get a good deal on price you'd want to find ways for the current performance to be easily improved with just a few simple moves.

Offer Price: 12 months sounds OK, but evaluate if what they're giving you for monthly revenue estimate is sustainable. They could be off a hot bit of press or promotion that's boosted revenue in recent months but likely won't continue without significant effort. Also, don't be afraid to negotiate, come in low and let him/her talk you up.

I hope this helps. I can also connect you with a front end web designer - someone who can improve or revamp the visuals on the site.

techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:43:18 PM

Prices can vary.

But, if you do your own homework on if a website ranks in lots of keywords, then that should be added as a huge value.

Also if there is a established userbase, take into account on how many are still existing.. but most are unfamilar with seo alone so I wouldnt be too hyped about buying websites unless you can do seo yourself organically.

wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:02:42 AM

Is 12x monthly ad revenue generally a fair asking price for a web site?

yes exactully this is the minimum price because i sold my baby care blog according to this it was making about 100$ a month sometime more sometime less and i sold that for 1400$ because this is the minimum the saler can expect your ROI will be in a year or if you work on it and make more traffic it will be faster.

gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:35:09 AM

If I was you, I'd "practice" on a free platform such as blogger.
They have guides on how to create a site that will get you approved for Adsense by teaching you how to generate effective content and build traffic.

If you can't do it from scratch there's no use trying to float an already well trafficked one. It's easy to lose traffic.
Besides, if you find you are good at it, you won't need to buy a domain.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:59:42 AM

problem with technology/crypto currency site is, that visitors are usually "technically gifted" - so majority of them using adbock and if not, they are already "blind" to any kind of advertisement.

I can't recommend you to buy anything without your own idea. is always better to improve your own ideas instead of improving ideas of others. or..you are considering other way of monetization except adverts?
maniator

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 05:22:12 PM

Have you already bought some website? Do you have more experience with this?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: