Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:42:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin bring the worst Schumpeterian crisis of the century?  (Read 6499 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:15:09 AM

Even for a huge fan of bitcoin like me, sometimes bitcoin seems so disruptive that it scares the shit out of me.

This is going to bring tears and sorrow, as many people's job will suddenly become pointless.  A whole economic sector, mainly related to banking industry, is about to collapse.  Educated people are going to need to start again from scratch.  They will have learnt tons of stupid regulations and intellectual structures for nothing.  Pure freaking waste.  They will definitely not be happy about that.

It is certainly going to be painful for a lot of people, and many people will claim that bitcoin is a bad thing because it brings chaos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_destruction

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:18:27 AM

Bitcoin brings chaos or the system was going to collapse anyway?

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:23:36 AM

I don't think that the system was about to collapse anyway.  It would have survived, after a big devaluation, a world wide depression, possibly a few wars.  But in the end banks would still profit from it all.

Cryptocurrencies are necessary to destroy the banking system for good.

unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:27:22 AM

things will be fine. society is not fragile. there won't be massive upheaval.
pickaxe

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:32:37 AM

The fiat currencies have caused huge environmental destruction, consolidation of power, and now this recession has made cash very difficult to work with. It's only natural for other systems for trade to emerge during the failure of the existing ones. Not that bitcoin would solve those problems, but more options for trade would help.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:34:42 AM

Banks won't go away.  Bankers will start using bitcoins...

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:35:55 AM

People will finally stop using banks as soon as they stop using AOL as an ISP "to access their email."  Cheesy
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:24:07 AM

"If you cannot win them, join them" - this often was applied by many people to banksters. Now it seems banksters will have to apply this to bitcoin. Ohhh irony...

-
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:58:06 AM

I don't think it's going to be any more dramatic than the financial crisis of 2008 in terms of sudden job losses. It's a gradual process that will take a decade or two. People are not going to give up on traditional banking overnight.  The banking industry will adapt and continue to provide jobs.  People are still going to need loans.  Bitcoins need to be secured just like fial money.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:25:42 AM

I would say that certain types of current banking and financial institutions will do very very well and certain kinds very very poorly under a bitcoin based business model.

How to differentiate?  The difference is between businesses that create or destroy wealth.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:43:26 AM

Bitcoin isn't the cause of the coming Schumpeterian crisis.  Something else is.  But it will be well-positioned to pick up the pieces.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
nickwit

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:48:10 AM

H'ok

This is the shit coming down the hall:

1) climate change

2) mass-extinction / ecosystemic destabilisation

3) peak-oil

This stuff is definitely going to happen - in fact it's already happening now. We will be lucky to societally survive any of these - and they're all happening at the same time.

4) In addition to that, we also have encroaching fascism/freedomism world-wide, which is happening as the web threatens every hierarchy. This is no small thing. We've been through this before, and it was incredibly messy.

5) In addition to that, we have uber-weirdness in the shape of a gen-tech revolution, which is also going to happen at the same time. It's hard to understate the potential impact of this. It'll change what it means to be human.

The creeping fascism/corporatism we're seeing today is going to crash the global economy. It's already in the process of this... NO lessons were learned from the last crash. The banks are bigger and more conglomerated, still gambling, still with the same toxic debt on the books, and still addicted to the ferocious, blind short-termism driven by fucking astronomical bonuses... which have gone up.

Now into this is thrown bitcoins - and I'm guessing the main impact of bitcoins is that it teaches people that they CAN use alternative currencies... and the main purpose of alternative currencies is for people to do business when there isn't a viable alternative (see:  http://bit.ly/13dJy )

So my guess is that bitcoins will not bring a crisis - because the crisis that are already starting will totally eclipse them (in fact bitcoins is contained in 4). What bitcoins might do though is teach us how to temper some of these crisis.

Anonymous

June 03, 2011, 12:21:44 PM

If the oil runs out why do we need to worry about the climate changing?
AllYourBase

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:35:41 PM

Even for a huge fan of bitcoin like me, sometimes bitcoin seems so disruptive that it scares the shit out of me.

This is going to bring tears and sorrow, as many people's job will suddenly become pointless.  A whole economic sector, mainly related to banking industry, is about to collapse.  Educated people are going to need to start again from scratch.  They will have learnt tons of stupid regulations and intellectual structures for nothing.  Pure freaking waste.  They will definitely not be happy about that.

It is certainly going to be painful for a lot of people, and many people will claim that bitcoin is a bad thing because it brings chaos.

Sure that's a fair point.  Also think about government employees, and companies with fat government contracts.  With good money, we'll see businesses become more lean and competitive, which is good.  I highly doubt this will happen overnight though; I anticipate it will take years.  I'm not too concerned. 
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:40:20 PM

First, Bitcoin eliminates the need for banks to provide safekeeping of money or to act as a transaction clearinghouse, but it doesn't eliminate the need for loans. So banks will become less important but not completely irrelevant.

Second, when people switch out of unnecessary jobs, they are hopefully finding more useful jobs, which is in general a good thing for all of society.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:43:01 PM

I think you have a good point there, but personally I am not worried about educated and willing to learn - they will adapt. The people I am worried are the masses of unskilled workers who were bred by this system to keep the growth increasing.

It's going to be bloody
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:44:37 PM

First, Bitcoin eliminates the need for banks to provide safekeeping of money or to act as a transaction clearinghouse, but it doesn't eliminate the need for loans. So banks will become less important but not completely irrelevant.

You don't need banks to borrow money.  Just search "auction bond" in the marketplace forum.

Second, when people switch out of unnecessary jobs, they are hopefully finding more useful jobs, which is in general a good thing for all of society.

True.  But I suspect some people will have difficulties to understand that once they get sacked.

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:54:38 PM

You don't need banks to borrow money.  Just search "auction bond" in the marketplace forum.

Banks aren't required to borrow with current money systems and they won't be required in a Bitcoin-dominated world. But they will exist because they will be useful for people who want to lend money at interest without having to be directly involved with:

a)deciding who is worthy of a loan
b)collecting on bad loans

A lot of people would rather pay someone else to handle these aspects of loan-making. And the banks perform that job for a fee.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 12:59:03 PM

I think this is a very plausible scenario indeed.  Gold has really always been at the foundation of the international banking system even though currencies were allowed to float against gold long ago.  It's not hard to imagine bitcoin taking at least part of that role in the future.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:02:05 PM

Banks will not be needed anymore.  They will disappear.   Everything will be software-oriented.

There is no alternative in a world where money is digital.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: