Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:27:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin bring the worst Schumpeterian crisis of the century?  (Read 6499 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:04:06 PM

banksters are gonna have to learn C++ and scrape for a living like the rest of us ... well except the "early adopters"  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitCheddar

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:22:34 PM

You people are fools if you think the banks and the power behind the money are just going to let something like that happen.   That of course meaning bitcoin making them obsolete.   You think they got where they are today because they are stupid?  You think the great crash and bailouts was an *accident?*

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:23:59 PM

You people are fools if you think the banks and the power behind the money are just going to let something like that happen.   That of course meaning bitcoin making them obsolete.   You think they got where they are today because they are stupid?  You think the great crash and bailouts was an *accident?*

Describe their options.

airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:38:01 PM

How/why would banks go away?

Banks are simply too big to fail.  They own countries and unless world war breaks out ( not all that unlikely in these times ) they'll be fine.

I'm talking about the big banks of course.  They get such huge amounts of interest money that it's hard to imagine that they could go broke unless people stopped paying them.  I'm not going to go empty my bank account and buy bitcoins (not all of it! ) I have a mortgage and I'm pretty sure wells fargo doesn't take BTC

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:10:22 PM

Banks will not be needed anymore.  They will disappear.

Wrong.  People still need a secure place to store their money.

80-year-old Aunt Tillie is probably not going to know how to properly use TrueCrypt, nor will she want to type in long passwords each time she spends her money.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 04:59:51 PM

It is certainly going to be painful for a lot of people, and many people will claim that bitcoin is a bad thing because it brings chaos.

Finally they can start doing something useful.

Hopefully satoshi will have more brilliant ideas and we won't need tax accountants any more. And less politicians. Some more mostly reactive jobs jump to my mind...

Arrgh, everybody will become a nerd. =)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 05:38:04 PM

Banks will not go away as an institution, they will simply change and adapt (though this change may be pretty extreme).

Let's remember that banking today uses digital money systems already. Physical cash deposits are a small minority of business. There will always be a need for warehousing of wealth in a protected "vault" type system. We store digital dollars in bank vaults today. We'll hopefully store digital BTC in bank vaults tomorrow. The bigger change will be on the government side, for the inability to print and manage the money supply will be the true disruption.

Banking and finance industries will adapt as all business must. Governments may be in serious trouble, however.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:02:34 PM

Bitcoin is nowhere big enough or tested enough for me to even begin to think about worrying about these kinds of consequences.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
tsakf

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:29:52 PM

We are enthusiasts of Bitcoin. I'm involved in the Free/Open Source Movement, till 1998. Thirteen years later and still we are vey far from changing all the software to Free/Open Source. The changes need time to happen. The same I believe is bitcoin. It will take decades, to be of some real importance to bankers. Their only fear is,l that they will loose total control as it is today, and they don't want to accept 99% of control. It's not about getting out of business for them.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:39:57 PM

It is certainly going to be painful for a lot of people, and many people will claim that bitcoin is a bad thing because it brings chaos.

Finally they can start doing something useful.

Hopefully satoshi will have more brilliant ideas and we won't need tax accountants any more. And less politicians. Some more mostly reactive jobs jump to my mind...

Arrgh, everybody will become a nerd. =)

more like everyone will need a nerd.
unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:31:26 PM

people on this forum complain routinely that they can't read six-line paragraphs because they're 'walls of text'. you haven't learned to code since using bitcoin. as someone who enjoys reading both code and long paragraphs, i don't hold out much hope that bitcoin will yield much intellectual advancement in broader sections of humanity.
Bazil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:56:54 PM

H'ok

This is the shit coming down the hall:

1) climate change

2) mass-extinction / ecosystemic destabilisation

3) peak-oil

This stuff is definitely going to happen - in fact it's already happening now. We will be lucky to societally survive any of these - and they're all happening at the same time.

4) In addition to that, we also have encroaching fascism/freedomism world-wide, which is happening as the web threatens every hierarchy. This is no small thing. We've been through this before, and it was incredibly messy.

5) In addition to that, we have uber-weirdness in the shape of a gen-tech revolution, which is also going to happen at the same time. It's hard to understate the potential impact of this. It'll change what it means to be human.

The creeping fascism/corporatism we're seeing today is going to crash the global economy. It's already in the process of this... NO lessons were learned from the last crash. The banks are bigger and more conglomerated, still gambling, still with the same toxic debt on the books, and still addicted to the ferocious, blind short-termism driven by fucking astronomical bonuses... which have gone up.

Now into this is thrown bitcoins - and I'm guessing the main impact of bitcoins is that it teaches people that they CAN use alternative currencies... and the main purpose of alternative currencies is for people to do business when there isn't a viable alternative (see:  http://bit.ly/13dJy )

So my guess is that bitcoins will not bring a crisis - because the crisis that are already starting will totally eclipse them (in fact bitcoins is contained in 4). What bitcoins might do though is teach us how to temper some of these crisis.

If you believe all that stuff I'd think you'd be against bitcoin.  Since bitcoin is a "freedomism" (libertarian) sort of thing.  Although I agree the current system will collapse, but only after the world population maxes out and the current growth rate becomes impossible.  Bitcoin could bring an end to the system sooner than that.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:12:14 PM

Pandora's box is now open.

Whether it's good or bad, cryptocurrency is an idea that cannot be killed. I, for one, have plenty of popcorn to see what happens.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: