Bitcoin Forum
September 15, 2024, 05:20:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hash-power supermajority vote? Explanation pls  (Read 630 times)
BlackJacky (OP)

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:59:27 AM

Hi all,

can someone explain me what a hash-power supermajority vote means?

Thx in advance Smiley
vm_mpn

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 09:41:32 AM

Hi all,

can someone explain me what a hash-power supermajority vote means?

Thx in advance Smiley

If context is Bitcoin network consensus I've read at least 90% of nodes need to agree on the new protocol adaption (like XT for example), but I'm not sure if this is what you are asking... If your question is about super-majority vote of miners the number would be lower I think but certainly higher than 51%. Basically pulling stuff out of my ass at this point so feel free to chime in  :-)
BlackJacky (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 09:49:16 AM

Yes, Im asking regarding the BitcoinXT stuff. That means that 75% of all full nodes need to download the XT version to reach the hash-power supermajority?
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 09:57:48 AM

Yes, Im asking regarding the BitcoinXT stuff. That means that 75% of all full nodes need to download the XT version to reach the hash-power supermajority?
Miners are mining blocks. They put a version number in there to show which clients they are using. So, if you look at the last 1000 blocks, you see which version miners are currently using.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
BlackJacky (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 10:05:30 AM

That means that only the miners are deciding if the XT version will be implemented in January?
desired_username

Activity: 886
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 10:06:27 AM

At least 75% of the mined blocks have to be on XT nodes after January.2016 for 2 weeks for the blocksize increase to take place. If super majority does not form around XT then everything stays the same.

You cannot use the number of nodes as metric, as it can be easily spoofed.

On the other hand, the existence of miners depend on the userbase, so they are restricted to follow the user's needs.

Anyone can make their own decision.

Personally, when I got into bitcoin I subscribed to independence, transparency and freedom. Not tyranny, censorship and serving a company (Blockstream).
vm_mpn

Activity: 605

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 10:10:14 AM

At least 75% of the mined blocks have to be on XT nodes after January.2016 for 2 weeks for the blocksize increase to take place. If super majority does not form around XT then everything stays the same.

You cannot use the number of nodes as metric, as it can be easily spoofed.

On the other hand, the existence of miners depend on the userbase, so they are restricted to follow the user's needs.

Anyone can make their own decision.

Personally, when I got into bitcoin I subscribed to independence, transparency and freedom. Not tyranny, censorship and serving a company (Blockstream).

Interesting... Thanks for the clarification
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: