Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:51:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My opinion concerning bitcoin forking  (Read 1217 times)
b1007 (OP)

Activity: 404
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:41:36 AM

I think Bitcoin should be used for transactions and forks should be used for eating dinner.

Can we please stop this childish split, get together and come up with a synthesis?

Also, if XT is going to be endorsed, what does that mean for the bitcoins currently in my wallet? Will they become worthless or can I somehow exchange them for XT?  Huh

I like to speculate

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ilove-Obama

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:53:56 AM

I think Bitcoin should be used for transactions and forks should be used for eating dinner.

Can we please stop this childish split, get together and come up with a synthesis?

Also, if XT is going to be endorsed, what does that mean for the bitcoins currently in my wallet? Will they become worthless or can I somehow exchange them for XT?  Huh

I'm against XT. they want to make money on Bitcoin name

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
«««« ⪓  FAST CONFIRMATION   ► EDON ICO STARTED SOON  ◄  ⪓  NODE.js tehnology ⪓    »»»»
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Ilove-Obama

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:09:04 PM

How does that work? In theory can't we have like 1 bitcoin with a thousand forks so bitcoin becomes multifunctional but all forks remain a form of bitcoin that has the same price and can be interchanged?  Huh Huh Huh Huh

No, if the exchange updates on XT , You will not be able to sell their Bitcoins from the old network

«««« ⪓  FAST CONFIRMATION   ► EDON ICO STARTED SOON  ◄  ⪓  NODE.js tehnology ⪓    »»»»
croTek4

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

the Cat-a-clysm.

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:14:01 PM

How does that work? In theory can't we have like 1 bitcoin with a thousand forks so bitcoin becomes multifunctional but all forks remain a form of bitcoin that has the same price and can be interchanged?  Huh Huh Huh Huh

No, if the exchange updates on XT , You will not be able to sell their Bitcoins from the old network

sorry but this is just false

Catether is an open source mineable ERC20 Token, powered by Cates.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:17:19 PM

This.

Core devs, for fuck's sake, try and find a reasonable consensus and stick with ONE Bitcoin.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Dissonance

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:18:30 PM

No XT forks when 75% of the blocks are mined with xt.  When that happens the remaining 25% will quickly drop core and adopt xt so they dont remian on the weaker chain and the dispute will resolve.  This will likely happen within hours.
Ilove-Obama

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:18:54 PM

Also, if XT is going to be endorsed, what does that mean for the bitcoins currently in my wallet? Will they become worthless or can I somehow exchange them for XT?  Huh

How does that work? In theory can't we have like 1 bitcoin with a thousand forks so bitcoin becomes multifunctional but all forks remain a form of bitcoin that has the same price and can be interchanged?  Huh Huh Huh Huh

sorry but this is just false

Why do You think?, if the developers sent MiningPool requirement for the update on XT

tadakaluri

Activity: 616

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 12:19:45 PM

Also, if XT is going to be endorsed, what does that mean for the bitcoins currently in my wallet? Will they become worthless or can I somehow exchange them for XT?  Huh

How does that work? In theory can't we have like 1 bitcoin with a thousand forks so bitcoin becomes multifunctional but all forks remain a form of bitcoin that has the same price and can be interchanged?  Huh Huh Huh Huh

So how do I convert my old bitcoins to XT and prevent them from becoming worthless? Huh

Yes, that is the main reason for Panic selling in Bitcoin Exchanges. Investors are not even wait to see what happened in January (the fork of XT is on January 11, 2016).
Dissonance

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:20:15 PM

This.

Core devs, for fuck's sake, try and find a reasonable consensus and stick with ONE Bitcoin.

Bitcoin IS not going to split in 2.  Miners have an incentive to agree so if XT hits the 75% threshold and forks the remaining miners will have to go along with it.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:24:14 PM

If you meant Blockstream then you're right.
desired_username

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:25:17 PM

So how do I convert my old bitcoins to XT and prevent them from becoming worthless? Huh

Yes, that is the main reason for Panic selling in Bitcoin Exchanges. Investors are not even wait to see what happened in January (the fork of XT is on January 11, 2016).

The fork happens only if super majority of the network votes for XT or any other implementation which introduces the blocksize increase (including Core).

Bitcoin cannot evolve without forks.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:32:29 PM

Bitcoin IS not going to split in 2.  Miners have an incentive to agree so if XT hits the 75% threshold and forks the remaining miners will have to go along with it.
That's not the point. It's causing a lot of confusion, ambiguity, stress, panic, chaos, it's BAD for Bitcoin in general.

And you say it's not going to split. If the majority of miners switches to XT (not gonna happen, but suppose they do) and exchanges don't (or even just one large exchange doesn't), or vice versa, you still so sure there's no split?

Bitcoin by itself is already hard enough to explain to the general public. This XT bullshit is setting back growth and mainstream adoption even further.

And don't get me wrong - the problem are not the changes that XT brings, per se (8MB is absolutely unnecessary for the forseeable future, but it's not disastrous) but rather the fact that it comes as a separate version, with different rules.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Ilove-Obama

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:33:24 PM

The fork happens only if super majority of the network votes for XT or any other implementation which introduces the blocksize increase (including Core).

Bitcoin cannot evolve without forks.

But this does not update Bitcoin, it's a new fork

desired_username

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:35:01 PM

That's not the point. It's causing a lot of confusion, ambiguity, stress, panic, chaos, it's BAD for Bitcoin in general.

And you say it's not going to split. If the majority of miners switches to XT (not gonna happen, but suppose they do) and exchanges don't (or even just one large exchange doesn't), or vice versa, you still so sure there's no split?

Bitcoin by itself is already hard enough to explain to the general public. This XT bullshit is setting back growth and mainstream adoption even further.

And don't get me wrong - the problem are not the changes that XT brings, per se (8MB is absolutely unnecessary for the forseeable future, but it's not disastrous) but rather the fact that it comes as a separate version, with different rules.

Having a single group clinging to power, trying to sabotage freedom of choice with lies, censorship and propaganda will have a more severe outcome than the departure of some weak hands.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:36:08 PM

This.

This +1.
I support this totally. Stick together, stop arguing and find consensus. The actual situation is pure poison for all of us.
Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:37:00 PM

For the love of all that is holy, can we please stop with the fud?  The Bitcoin protocol has changed several times so far, and all your old coins still work.  Alternate versions of the chain occur - they're built into the spec.  The popular chain continues and the unpopular chain withers.  Coins created before the branch are unaffected.
Ilove-Obama

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:43:07 PM

Totally agree with you, hands off this Bitcoin

desired_username

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:54:57 PM

Bitcoin is not XT or Core.

Bitcoin is the set of rules what the participants of the network follow and abide.

The set of rules can be implemented by anyone and can be called anything. XT, Core, d, etc.

It's the same network, the same peers and same hashpower united under the same blockchain.

XT only offers a choice. It depends on the ecosystem to accept or not.

Personally, when I got into bitcoin I subscribed to independence, transparency and freedom. Not tyranny, censorship and serving a company (Blockstream).
Ilove-Obama

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 01:00:52 PM

Bitcoin is not XT or Core.

Bitcoin is the set of rules what the participants of the network follow and abide.

The set of rules can be implemented by anyone and can be called anything. XT, Core, d, etc.

It's the same network, the same peers and same hashpower united under the same blockchain.

XT only offers a choice. It depends on the ecosystem to accept or not.

the last word should be for the community

desired_username

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 01:03:25 PM

the last word should be for the community

Ecosystem basically equals the community. (or at least I interpret it as the same or encompassing it)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: