Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:50:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen to blacklisted coins?  (Read 3585 times)
Greendragon (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:06:49 PM

Are those guys aware that every coin in the world most likely has gone true silkroad just like every 50 dolla bill is used to sniff cocaine or to trow at a hooker? How is it even possible that bitcoin XT is launched?
I am really losing faith in bitcoin. If it becomes centralized it isnt worth more then citybankcoin.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:08:49 PM

blacklist ?
not in the Bitcoin Network ...
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:09:29 PM

Are those guys aware that every coin in the world most likely has gone true silkroad just like every 50 dolla bill is used to sniff cocaine or to trow at a hooker? How is it even possible that bitcoin XT is launched?
I am really losing faith in bitcoin. If it becomes centralized it isnt worth more then citybankcoin.

Another idiot believe in FUD. Wow..... Bitcointalk......can you do any worse?
Greendragon (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:10:44 PM

blacklist ?

So there will be no coins in the future. Must be an epic pump n dump get rich quick ponzi scheme lol
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:53:21 AM

Even if someone was really trying to create a blacklisting mechanism to be used in bitcoin, I don't think it would be possible due to the nature of the system, in a centralized system like Ripple it can be made, not in bitcoin.

Can you elucidate us on how this could be achieved?

harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 09:31:29 AM

Even if someone was really trying to create a blacklisting mechanism to be used in bitcoin, I don't think it would be possible due to the nature of the system, in a centralized system like Ripple it can be made, not in bitcoin.

Isn't it obvious?
We can see every address that coins go to, or come from. Even passing thru a tumbler taints the outputs to some extent.

pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 09:35:55 AM

Isn't it obvious?
We can see every address that coins go to, or come from. Even passing thru a tumbler taints the outputs to some extent.

It is not obvious, can you explain how it would work?

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:06:14 AM

Isn't it obvious?

I suggest you read up on CoinJoin and the various implementations it already has as well as the potential it offers for anonymizing coins.
harrymmmm

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:07:44 AM

Isn't it obvious?

I suggest you read up on CoinJoin and the various implementations it already has as well as the potential it offers for anonymizing coins.

Are you suggesting they don't taint the coins to some extent?
Well, I'll be fkd. we have anonymity easily after all. Lol.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:15:55 AM

Stop spreading FUD please.

I send 'tainted' coins from address A to address X (which happens to be a mixer, but besides the mixer admin and myself, nobody can know this).

I receive different, untainted coins (completely unrelated to the ones I earlier sent to X) from a different address Y to address B.

There exists NO chain of transaction between X and Y. Also not indirect, or coinjoined, or whatever. Nothing.

How are my coins in address B still blacklisted?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:20:54 AM

I don't understand the term "blacklisted coin".  How can be blacklisted a coin produced in the legal way? While about the bitcoin xt I have heard the opposite. The bitcoin XT is not centralized but liberalized. I'm not an expert so my word can be taken with caution but from what I have heard from a person that seems very informed is that what was happen. 
harrymmmm

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 12:54:02 PM

I send 'tainted' coins from address A to address X (which happens to be a mixer, but besides the mixer admin and myself, nobody can know this).

I receive different, untainted coins (completely unrelated to the ones I earlier sent to X) from a different address Y to address B.

There exists NO chain of transaction between X and Y. Also not indirect, or coinjoined, or whatever. Nothing.

I did say 'taints ... to some extent'.
The anonymity set size of a single transaction is limited by the number of parties in it, obviously.
Unless chaumian blinding, zero knowledge proofs, or something dazzling has occurred, my statement is correct.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 12:59:15 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2015, 01:12:57 PM by pedrog

The anonymity set size of a single transaction is limited by the number of parties in it, obviously.
Unless chaumian blinding, zero knowledge proofs, or something dazzling has occurred, my statement is correct.

Dude, 'taints' by whom?

That's not a feature of the protocol, you can 'taint' how many coins you want, I don't care about your 'taint', and after a few transactions you'll be unable to know who has the coins...

That's why after so many thefts no one was able to come up with a system to blacklist coins, it requires centralization and absolute control over the system.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:10:03 PM

blacklist ?
As above, there is no blacklist in bitcoin network.
You probably read something about other project separate from bitcoin completly "colored coins", "lighting network" and other trash inventions Smiley
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:23:26 PM

Isn't it obvious?

It is not obvious, can you explain how it would work?

Yes it's pretty obvious. The Feds have lots and lots of information on all the seized darknet markets, so all they would need is a software that automatically traces the inputs and outputs and searches for coins that were used for drugs and whatnot. This will surely kill fungibility and therefore Bitcoin.
harrymmmm

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:26:34 PM

Dude, 'taints' by whom?
by whomever wants to. We already have companies selling this service.
That's not a feature of the protocol,
never said it was. it's a blockchain analysis. but you already knew that.
you can 'taint' how many coins you want, I don't care about your 'taint',
'course  you would suddenly care if that taint measurement caused your coins to be blacklisted
and after a few transactions you'll be unable to know who has the coins...
first correct statement you've made.
That's why I said 'to some extent'. The amount a satoshi is tainted drops off rapidly after passing thru tumblers, exchanges, etc
That's why after so many thefts no one was able to come up with a system to blacklist coins, it requires centralization and absolute control over the system.
I'd say it is because people don't actually want it because it kills fungibility. But don't think it's not out there already. one guess which 3 letter agency is leading the charge. Oh, maybe 3 guesses. Lol.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 01:27:15 PM

Someone could add a URL to a website in the Bitcoin client to check for IPs that should be treated differently.

Like...oh say....torproject.org

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:35:41 PM

Someone could add a URL to a website in the Bitcoin client to check for IPs that should be treated differently.

I really expect better from you Elwar.
I think, you know, that even if there would be a blacklist of IPs, that has nothing to do, with blocking coins. You just can't block transactions by blocking IPs. That doesn't make any sense at all.

People are mixing up so many things on here already.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:38:27 PM

That doesn't guarantee the identity of the sender, it creates more problems than what's trying to solve, IP /= person.

Yes it's pretty obvious. The Feds have lots and lots of information on all the seized darknet markets, so all they would need is a software that automatically traces the inputs and outputs and searches for coins that were used for drugs and whatnot. This will surely kill fungibility and therefore Bitcoin.

That software already exists, it's called a block explorer, you can check freely, it doesn't change anything, if the coin I'm sending to you has 0.1% from the bitcoinica hack what will happen? It's not my fault I received a few imputs that had 0.02% of hacked coins, so what will be the benefit of blacklisting coins, plus who will blacklist the coins and why should we accept it?

Also the Feds do not own bitcoin, there are a lot of countries in the world and the vast majority of us don't live in USA.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 01:39:24 PM

I really expect better from you Elwar.
I think, you know, that even if there would be a blacklist of IPs, that has nothing to do, with blocking coins. You just can't block transactions by blocking IPs. That doesn't make any sense at all.

People are mixing up so many things on here already.

I did not say blocking. I said treating them differently.

A central server used to treat some IPs differently than others.

Does not sound very decentralized.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: