Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:39:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best altcoin to be able to handle lots of transactions?  (Read 4335 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:18:24 PM

These are not addressing the block size scaling constraint. They are just referring to how fast nodes can verify transaction signatures. The former is the bandwidth elephant in the room and can't be scaled with existing consensus technology unless the mining is centralized on fiber connected servers.

In fairness there are many fiber connected homes now. Not everyone and not everywhere but it's become fairly common.

I can't even get reliable 3 Mbps download with 512 Kbps upload where I am. Many users will be on wireless devices.

Yes I as I said it isn't everywhere, but you don't need everywhere either, just "enough" places. I'd add that I've had 100-ish megabit wireless for quite a while too (and I sometimes use a location in a G7 country that just got upgraded to the ultra-speedy 3mb/384mb after many years stuck at 1.5/128!).

No if you want to maximize resiliency against a bezerk totalitarianism, you need to be able to mine from any where and any connection. We don't even know if they will shut down the internet. We have to be prepared for everything.

You love to argue just to argue don't you? How about cutting to the chase? Or do you really don't want to win.

I happen to believe you have to be realistic about improvements in technology and can't realistically assert that nothing is "decentralized" unless it works over, say, dialup (or ham radio).

It is a fact that five years ago there were very few >10 mbit connections outside data centers. Now they are commonplace and inexpensive in many (not all) locations, and 100 megabit connections are becoming common too.

I don't disagree that massive blocks or fast blocks are problematic with a Bitcoin-style chain (nor that being functional over ham radio, mesh networks, etc. would be preferable) but I'm not sure that "increasing" centralization is inevitable with simple scaling either. It is a race between capacity and available connectivity. Six years ago when Bitcoin started the availability of even 10 megabit connections was far narrower. Gavin may be wrong overall but there is some merit in his approach too.

It depends on the threat environment. I'd prefer ultimate resiliency given there are no tradeoffs and it is simply better in every way.

Well who wouldn't?

On the matter of "no tradeoffs", does it exist? Is the implementation mature? Does it have a user base, network effect? I see tradeoffs.

But I certainly favor competing on the basis of superior technology that is not vaporware.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:19:36 PM

I just wonder if we are going to cut to the chase or continue bloviating.

Yeah there is even 4G in Philippines in about 0.01% coverage by land area. And you won't be signing up with an unregistered account.

Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 08:35:30 PM

I happen to believe you have to be realistic about improvements in technology and can't realistically assert that nothing is "decentralized" unless it works over, say, dialup (or ham radio).

It is a fact that five years ago there were very few >10 mbit connections outside data centers. Now they are commonplace and inexpensive in many (not all) locations, and 100 megabit connections are becoming common too.

^ this is exactly the reason for all the work on our ledger, which I hope to release some information on this coming week following from consensus.

Its pointless to have a decentralized network where to be of any use, everyone needs to have access to the best of the best....it should really be able to operate in the worst of the worst if possible and the most basic tasks should be possible with no perceivable deterioration.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 10:17:55 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2015, 10:31:21 PM by ArticMine

The key issue in my mind is that the coin must not be hard coded to todays tecnhnology. This is the problem with Bitcoin and its 1 MB blocksize limit and even Gavin's proposal is ultimately flawed since he is proposing a hard 8GB blocksize limit. My take is that age has a lot to do with this issue. Young people have a phonomenal grasp of the current technology; however when it comes to the rate of change, or first derivative, of technology the prespective of a 50 year old or a 60 year old actually wins hands down.  

How many people on this forum have actually progammed with punch cards, used a teletype to communicate with a computer that had 2 KB of RAM, or got an error message from the mainframe of a major Canadian University because the program they wrote required over 2 MB (the total memory capacity of the mainframe)? I have. To put things into prespective a punchcard holds 80 bytes, and an 8in floppy holds 80 Kilobytes. Now today does it make any significant diffrence in the cost of sending an email that has an 80 byte or 80 kilobyte message? 50 years ago sending an 80 byte message over the telegraph network would cost around 10 USD (in todays dollars), while the other hand sending an 80 kilobyte telegram would have cost around 10,000 USD in todays dollars.  

The critical advantage that Monero has is that it does not have a hard coded (requiring a hard fork) limit that throttles the coin to today's technology. This is the critical factor in my opinion.

Now while I am writing this post my sell Bitcoin buy Monero order is being filled. In the meantime let us see if Gavin gets his way and Bitcoin is allowed to scale from the punchcard to the CD 5.25in floppy disk.

Edit: Corrected CD (640 MB) to 5.25in floppy disk (640 KB)

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Fuserleer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 01:53:36 AM

The key issue in my mind is that the coin must not be hard coded to todays tecnhnology. This is the problem with Bitcoin and its 1 MB blocksize limit and even Gavin's proposal is ultimately flawed since he is proposing a hard 8GB blocksize limit. My take is that age has a lot to do with this issue. Young people have a phonomenal grasp of the current technology; however when it comes to the rate of change, or first derivative, of technology the prespective of a 50 year old or a 60 year old actually wins hands down.  

How many people on this forum have actually progammed with punch cards, used a teletype to communicate with a computer that had 2 KB of RAM, or got an error message from the mainframe of a major Canadian University because the program they wrote required over 2 MB (the total memory capacity of the mainframe)? I have. To put things into prespective a punchcard holds 80 bytes, and an 8in floppy holds 80 Kilobytes. Now today does it make any significant diffrence in the cost of sending an email that has an 80 byte or 80 kilobyte message? 50 years ago sending an 80 byte message over the telegraph network would cost around 10 USD (in todays dollars), while the other hand sending an 80 kilobyte telegram would have cost around 10,000 USD in todays dollars.  

The critical advantage that Monero has is that it does not have a hard coded (requiring a hard fork) limit that throttles the coin to today's technology. This is the critical factor in my opinion.

Now while I am writing this post my sell Bitcoin buy Monero order is being filled. In the meantime let us see if Gavin gets his way and Bitcoin is allowed to scale from the punchcard to the CD 5.25in floppy disk.

Edit: Corrected CD (640 MB) to 5.25in floppy disk (640 KB)

We've got a founder on the project that was from the same background, keeps us very grounded in terms of exactly what you are saying.  Frequently he tells stories of punch cards, tape drives and hard discs the size of a refrigerator Smiley

Even if he doesn't intend it, it makes me sit back after and think about things I could improve, change, remove to work on lower hardware.  Its not a bad practice either, as low end hardware these days is crazy efficient, and so is our project as a product of that thinking Smiley

Im working on some JavaCard stuff atm, and thats the same as what you are describing in a way.  A few kb of EEPROM, 2k of RAM, slow processor.  You have to think about every byte and clock cycle you use.  Currently writing an ECDSA signer in that environment (JavaCard 2.2 doesnt support ECDSA with SHA2 hashes natively, only SHA1) and its taxing!

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:59:52 AM

The key issue in my mind is that the coin must not be hard coded to todays tecnhnology.

The solution is a design that does not significant increase the block chain size as the transaction rate increases.

I know of no other design that solves the bandwidth scaling other than my design.

Fuserleer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 02:26:37 AM

The key issue in my mind is that the coin must not be hard coded to todays tecnhnology.

The solution is a design that does not significant increase the block chain size as the transaction rate increases.

I know of no other design that solves the bandwidth scaling other than my design.

eMunie does too, but I didn't announce it yet, one document at a time is enough for me thanks Smiley

How does yours achieve it?

patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 11:06:21 AM

what IS your design ? Is there anything I can read or look at ? Is it already implemented ?

24hralttrade

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

Community Liaison,How can i help you?

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 11:18:27 AM

The recent fork in BTC has made me wonder what is the best altcoin that is set up to handle lots of transactions should it become popular?

Digibyte Smiley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6SxmDmUvIk

Want to see the Future of Retail omnichannel demo store powered by Digibyte & Tofugear teams?
Please feel free to contact me if you have anything to report or you have any questions.
HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:12:55 PM

Dogecoin - simple and popular crypto coin  Wink Transactions are simple and fast, you can also change Doge to/from BTC easy  Smiley
thimo

Activity: 490

thimo the dev

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 02:49:55 AM

Check MAPC from my sig

i can rent this1
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 05:12:11 AM

Actual wisdom on the nature of change and humanity doesn't go out of style!  Smiley  It also takes decades to earn.  Who knew?  

I think that the "old men" of today who have witnessed the entire rise of computers from the single-byte age to modern times are some of the most valuable resources on the planet.  Having grown up in the 80's right as computers really hit the fun part of their exponential curve I feel about half as wise as you, and I can appreciate your perspective on how things might play out in the future.  You have seen the top minds of each decade repeatedly spout off nonsense about "how things really are" only to soon be silence by the march of technology and connectivity.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 06:32:40 AM

Actual wisdom on the nature of change and humanity doesn't go out of style!  Smiley  It also takes decades to earn.  Who knew?  

I think that the "old men" of today who have witnessed the entire rise of computers from the single-byte age to modern times are some of the most valuable resources on the planet.  Having grown up in the 80's right as computers really hit the fun part of their exponential curve I feel about half as wise as you, and I can appreciate your perspective on how things might play out in the future.  You have seen the top minds of each decade repeatedly spout off nonsense about "how things really are" only to soon be silence by the march of technology and connectivity.

lol this reminds me of my old college professor telling us about the IBM XXXX units he'd have to replace with like a ton of ESD protection.

He went "now in my day, hard drives literally 'crashed' " referring to the read head actually colliding with the surface of the drive every so often.

Now, there's solid state ftw.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 09:20:01 AM

The number of people around here who consider months of experience to be an expert is astonishing. Even more impressive is how no-one seems to learn. I see people talking about coin devs with 10-20 years experience as if that's meant to be incredible; no, it's about right, and describes (for example) the devs for Bit, Lite & Doge.

Edit: 10-20 years development experience. Obviously having more than 2-3 years of coin development experience is really difficult, and more than 5 would likely mean you're Satoshi :-D

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
okiefromokc

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 01:58:55 PM

The number of people around here who consider months of experience to be an expert is astonishing. Even more impressive is how no-one seems to learn. I see people talking about coin devs with 10-20 years experience as if that's meant to be incredible; no, it's about right, and describes (for example) the devs for Bit, Lite & Doge.

Edit: 10-20 years development experience. Obviously having more than 2-3 years of coin development experience is really difficult, and more than 5 would likely mean you're Satoshi :-D

Yeah, I have been coding since 1967, wrote some IBM assembler back then, then migrated to COBOL as it was easier to code in... My first paid job was programming via wiring pegboards in a bank.  The Bank mainframe had 256kb of iron core memory, which filled a 20 x 30 sq ft room with a raise aluminum floor.
rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 02:25:24 PM

Yeah, I have been coding since 1967, wrote some IBM assembler back then, then migrated to COBOL as it was easier to code in... My first paid job was programming via wiring pegboards in a bank.  The Bank mainframe had 256kb of iron core memory, which filled a 20 x 30 sq ft room with a raise aluminum floor.

Fairly serious question; how do you not end up fleeing into something else? I've been doing this as a job for ~15 years and I seem to spend increasingly more and more of my time despairing over the state of everything!

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 08:15:37 PM

Dash through the use of its masternode network : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68nC5BQfuuE
Still heavy in development though, but its making nice progress....

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
username18333

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2015, 09:29:38 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2015, 09:57:56 PM by username18333

To put things into prespective a punchcard holds 80 bytes, and an 8in floppy holds 80 Kilobytes. Now today does it make any significant diffrence in the cost of sending an email that has an 80 byte or 80 kilobyte message? 50 years ago sending an 80 byte message over the telegraph network would cost around 10 USD (in todays dollars), while the other hand sending an 80 kilobyte telegram would have cost around 10,000 USD in todays dollars.

Quote from: HarperCollins Publishers, "Low-hanging fruit," Dictionary.com, 2012
2.   a course of action that can be undertaken quickly and easily as part of a wider range of changes or solutions to a problem: first pick the low-hanging fruit

Quote from: Graham Templeton, "Stanford’s quantum entanglement device brings us one step closer to quantum cryptography," ExtremeTech, 2012
Researchers at Stanford University have taken another major step toward using quantum entanglement for communication, streamlining the process by which two particles can be forced into an entangled state. Once entangled, each should react to changes in the other’s quantum spin — if one switches from up-spin to down-spin, the other should hypothetically do the same, instantly and regardless of the distance between them. The study demonstrates a technique in which each particle is induced to emit a photon entangled to its parent. By funneling these photons down a fiber optic cable so that they collide somewhere in the middle, the system can force the two parents (still held at their respective sources) to become entangled to one other. While the pipe dream of a latency-free internet is enticing enough, a much more immediate application could be the next generation of data encryption.

[...]

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:34:16 AM

Well you got me beat. I was born in 1965. My first programming was Apple II Basic in the summer after graduating high school in 1983. But I had read a book from Radio Shack on microprocessors in 1978 and had been doing machine code programming in my head since that time.

By the end of 1983, I owned a Commodore 64 and wrote a basic word processor in 68000 assembly language. I turned the 40 column display into 80 column by creating a font that could fit two characters into each column. I was programming the display at the bit level. I was doing this in my dorm at college, because I had this talent where I didn't need to attend class. I could just show up for tests. For example, I finished #3 out of 3 sections (300+ students) in freshman Chemistry.

By 1985, I had acquired an Atari ST and began programming WordUp in my spare time. I started with assembly language but switched to C by version 3.0 of the commercially successful product.

Yeah I guess I have about 20+ years experience, if factoring in that some years after 2001 I wasn't working.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:43:22 AM

By the end of 1983, I owned a Commodore 64 and wrote a basic word processor in 68000 assembly language

No 6510 (essentially a 6502 plus some extra integrated functionality). 68000 assembly would be far less impressive as it was close to the pinnacle of user-friendly CISC microprocessor instruction sets. (After that ISA development went RISC or stalled.) Almost a high level language by comparison.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: