Bitcoin Forum
October 01, 2020, 08:51:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.20.0 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Surviving the fork, or How to double your bitcoins (or save fiat)  (Read 9808 times)
ajas
Member
**
Offline Offline

Activity: 127
Merit: 57


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:18:05 PM
 #61

Something else came to my mind:

If both chains continue to exist, would it be possible to do 'merged mining' on both blockchains,
similar to merged mining of BTC and NMC today ?

1601542296
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1601542296

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1601542296
Reply with quote  #2

1601542296
Report to moderator
1601542296
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1601542296

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1601542296
Reply with quote  #2

1601542296
Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
1601542296
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1601542296

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1601542296
Reply with quote  #2

1601542296
Report to moderator
1601542296
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1601542296

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1601542296
Reply with quote  #2

1601542296
Report to moderator
1601542296
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1601542296

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1601542296
Reply with quote  #2

1601542296
Report to moderator
jstnrgrs
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 7
Merit: 0


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:22:58 PM
 #62

Something else came to my mind:

If both chains continue to exist, would it be possible to do 'merged mining' on both blockchains,
similar to merged mining of BTC and NMC today ?



I read somewhere that BTC-XT is programmed to disconnect from BTC-core once it reaches the 75% threshold, so it would be two separate networks.  Someone else can confirm?
unamis76
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:24:19 PM
 #63

I'm not getting this thread... There will be no "coin doubling". This has already been discussed on this sub-forum.

3. After the fork find someone who owns coins not existing on the both blockchains and ask them to send few satoshis to your account, do it for the both blockchains. Those lucky owners of coins that don't exist on the other blockchain will likely be miners or guys who managed to get their transaction not included into the other chain. I expect that the market will react to the fork by selling such special coins slightly more expensive than their face value.

One can't ask someone to do such a thing. If that person does not own coins on any existing blockchain, he can't send any coins... Because he doesn't have them. If I don't own 1 BTC I can't send anyone 1 BTC, like if I don't own 1 USD/EUR/CNY/whatever, I can't send them this money I do not have. if this was even possible, nobody guarantees there would be someone mining a transaction on the "losing" chain. There will be no special coins... 1 BTC = 1 BTC.

If coins are "not existing on both blockchains", then they don't exist.

There will be no business for the "losing" fork. If one has vested interest and is far deep within Bitcoin he will follow the "winning" chain (whether he likes XT or Core), under the risk of losing everything he has on a fork that will not succeed.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1009

Newbie


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:26:58 PM
 #64

The way BIP101 works prohibits a split of the blockchain.

I have to disagree. Read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1154520.0, please.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1009

Newbie


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:30:19 PM
 #65

I believe that 1 BTC-prefork = 1 BTC-core + 1 BTC-XT.

Not on a panic-driven market.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1020


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:30:48 PM
 #66

I think if XT is near 70% (and I hope it never happens) people would already stop accepting core altogether. It's designed in a way were you can't double your money, unfortunately. And again, I hope XT remains a small thing and eventually dies out. I want a bigger blocksize but NOT with the extras that Mike and Hearn are trying to pass over there.
desired_username
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 867
Merit: 1001


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:33:09 PM
 #67


The blocksize increase is not even the real issue here.

Blockstream have grown to completely dominate bitcoin development. It is unacceptable considering that bitcoin is a decentralized system.

Boiling it down we have 2 choice:

XT = freedom

Core/Blockstream = slavery

When I got into bitcoin, I subscribed to transparency, independence and freedom, not the tyrannical rule of a select few.

I fully agree that blocksize increase is not the real issue.
It is just a  false pretence to take bitcoin-core out of the hands of the current developers.

I just do not agree with your rating: XT = freedom, Core/Blockstream = slavery
The world is not black and white.

The question is: are we all going to risk a breakdown of bitcoin because the developers do not get along with
each other.



Please consider what is bitcoin XT and the BIP101 proposition again, there is basically no risk of a "breakdown".
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1009

Newbie


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:33:35 PM
 #68

If that person does not own coins on any existing blockchain, he can't send any coins...

Right, but it's not our case.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1009

Newbie


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:34:21 PM
 #69

I think if XT is near 70% (and I hope it never happens) people would already stop accepting core altogether.

Wrong. Because of https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1154520.0.
desired_username
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 867
Merit: 1001


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:34:24 PM
 #70

I think if XT is near 70% (and I hope it never happens) people would already stop accepting core altogether. It's designed in a way were you can't double your money, unfortunately. And again, I hope XT remains a small thing and eventually dies out. I want a bigger blocksize but NOT with the extras that Mike and Hearn are trying to pass over there.

What extras do you not like?

They can be disabled, or you can go with a branch of XT which only contains BIP101.
Snail2
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000



View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:37:08 PM
 #71

This is a plausible scenario, I think the risk for the business is to great for someone to try this, for the business and for the user, in this situation pretty sure someone will try to scam people.

I guess many users will try this, but I wouldn't be surprised if some shitty exchanges would also try to make some extra profit from this opportunity.

There is an other scenario for "afterfork" scamming. I think if the "old" chain losing, and gets abandoned by most miners then it will be relative easy to take over and then this "privat chain" can be turned to a scammer hideout for selling freshly minted worthless coins to noobs.
harrymmmm
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 580
Merit: 500


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:42:51 PM
 #72

I believe that 1 BTC-prefork = 1 BTC-core + 1 BTC-XT.

Not on a panic-driven market.

Yep. There will be chaos.
It's possible if both chains survive that it's a zero sum price game at equilibrium, but even then I wouldn't expect the panic factor to fade away too quickly and the price(s) to return to pre-fork levels in sum.
JorgeStolfi
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 910
Merit: 1002



View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:14:31 PM
 #73

2. the price will likely go down and down and down,

Not necessarily.  Once the 8MB version gets 75% miner approval, the other 25% must promptly switch to it, from self-interest.  Then hopefully no one will pay attention to the Blockstream FUD anymore.

Quote
3. After the fork find someone who owns coins not existing on the both blockchains and ask them to send few satoshis to your account, do it for the both blockchains. Those lucky owners of coins that don't exist on the other blockchain will likely be miners or guys who managed to get their transaction not included into the other chain.

As per above, it will be very difficult to find such miners.  If and when the chain actually splits, every miner who cares about his money will be on the 8MB branch. 

Quote
I expect that the market will react to the fork by selling such special coins slightly more expensive than their face value.

Since those coins will exist on a chain that will be issuing only 1 block every 2 days, "slightly more than its market value" may be zero plus 10%.

Not worth pointing out the problems with the other steps...

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Tobo
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 763
Merit: 500


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:42:37 PM
 #74

If XT is adopted, XT wins, there's no other chain, or at least there's no other chain with value.
This is very arguable, but I won't argue, let's stick to the topic without derailing it.

CfB, by the way, what is your stand on this issue, pro XT or against XT?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1009

Newbie


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:44:13 PM
 #75

Not necessarily.  Once the 8MB version gets 75% miner approval, the other 25% must promptly switch to it, from self-interest.

We don't know if these 75% will be real approvals.
pedrog
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1011



View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:49:05 PM
 #76

Not necessarily.  Once the 8MB version gets 75% miner approval, the other 25% must promptly switch to it, from self-interest.

We don't know if these 75% will be real approvals.

There's no economic incentive to do that, if you have invested a shitload of money in mining would you risk to fuck up the network? and for what?

Amateur hour is over.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1009

Newbie


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:49:53 PM
 #77

CfB, by the way, what is your stand on this issue, pro XT or against XT?

I think a smoother growth of the limit is better. None of the alternatives looks good to me.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1009

Newbie


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:56:52 PM
 #78

There's no economic incentive to do that, if you have invested a shitload of money in mining would you risk to fuck up the network? and for what?

Amateur hour is over.

Both the sides have wealthy proponents who can bribe pool operators. And the operators will accept this money if they are rational.
pedrog
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1011



View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:59:48 PM
 #79

There's no economic incentive to do that, if you have invested a shitload of money in mining would you risk to fuck up the network? and for what?

Amateur hour is over.

Both the sides have wealthy proponents who can bribe pool operators. And the operators will accept this money if they are rational.

Aren't those proponents also invested in bitcoin, why would they want to fuck up the network?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1009

Newbie


View Profile
August 20, 2015, 04:01:22 PM
 #80

Aren't those proponents also invested in bitcoin, why would they want to fuck up the network?

Maybe ask them directly? http://qntra.net/2015/01/the-hard-fork-missile-crisis/
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!