Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:27:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the perfect hedge for our bitcoins?  (Read 4900 times)
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 11:15:44 AM

proof of importance is the biggest bullshit scam ever invented. ¨

PoI is one of the most complicated consensus mechanisms in crypto created by real published academics.  Stellar also has real academics working on their consensus mechanism, but it works in a completely different way so it is hard to compare.  

For an in depth explanation you can read the technical report in chapter 7.  http://nem.io/NEM_techRef.pdf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:51:40 AM

If it's about hedging then I also vote for fiat (namely USD). A BTC collapse most likely will drag down all cryptoes to rock bottom. So USD is far from perfect (or even from good), but USD is still the most stable alternative. One more thing. At the bottom with USD I can buy back shitloads of all sorts of coins...

Damn! I never thought that I'll pump USD, but here we go Cheesy. I hope the core devs, Hearn and Gavin will rot in hell for this.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 12:16:22 PM

If it's about hedging then I also vote for fiat (namely USD). A BTC collapse most likely will drag down all cryptoes to rock bottom. So USD is far from perfect (or even from good), but USD is still the most stable alternative. One more thing. At the bottom with USD I can buy back shitloads of all sorts of coins...

Damn! I never thought that I'll pump USD, but here we go Cheesy. I hope the core devs, Hearn and Gavin will rot in hell for this.

The dollar has been strong and your argument hold some water however by being out of crypto totally you risk missing out on possible exponential growth when the crypto bear market is finally over.  If BTC starts rocketing upwards again the better ALTS will do so as well and likely gain significantly against BTC.  OTOH if the bear market is still in tact you could make significant gains in crypto terms by being in fiat.

Its been such a prolonged bear market and given the market behavior of the last few months I think we are going up from here.  And if that blocksize issue is resolved we could CCMF really fast.

Snail2
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 12:55:01 PM

The dollar has been strong and your argument hold some water however by being out of crypto totally you risk missing out on possible exponential growth when the crypto bear market is finally over.  If BTC starts rocketing upwards again the better ALTS will do so as well and likely gain significantly against BTC.  OTOH if the bear market is still in tact you could make significant gains in crypto terms by being in fiat.

Its been such a prolonged bear market and given the market behavior of the last few months I think we are going up from here.  And if that blocksize issue is resolved we could CCMF really fast.

That's why I said "At the bottom with USD I can buy back shitloads of all sorts of coins..."
I think there are two "problems" with crypto:
1. There are no crypto what would be "pegged" to some real life stuff what have some real importance. Without such independent economy practically everything pegged to bitcoin.
2. A very large percent of the people in crypto aren't here for tecnology or for some libertarian dreams, maybe for freedom from the banks, but strictly for financial gains, and their thinking is "pegged" to fiat.

Because of 1. if bitcoin goes down everything will go down (no exception) and because of 2. a lot of people going to panic sell as fast as they can therefore causing an even bigger trouble.
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:31:58 PM

1. There are no crypto what would be "pegged" to some real life stuff what have some real importance. Without such independent economy practically everything pegged to bitcoin.

Bitshares has pegged fiat currencies, even has gold, silver and nasdaq composite indices:

http://www.bitsharesblocks.com/assets/market

nuBits is also pegged to USD.
Snail2
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:40:41 PM

Bitshares has pegged fiat currencies, even has gold, silver and nasdaq composite indices:

http://www.bitsharesblocks.com/assets/market

nuBits is also pegged to USD.

Well, that's true. We will see (hopefully not) how these coins are doing during a bitcoin collapse Smiley. But I guess a general distrust towards cryptoes will have some effect even on the most stable coins. Actually I'm really curious.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:46:09 PM

NXT would be my pick. These guys deserve a chance for all the innovation and hard work.

Also the old Nothing at Stake claims that are based on maybe 2 papers are just pure FUD and proven wrong! No worries here!
Isildur23

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 03:08:55 PM

Nxt is the most successful one and it has brought so much innovations in the crypto world that it is a question of time to see that reflection in the price.

Ties are a prison for the soul...
riceberry

Activity: 491
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:19:00 PM

Nxt get's my vote as well, most innovative tech coin out there right now.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:11:38 PM

None of the above. If BTC goes tits up then I'll wait for a self developing coin run by a bot so it's immune to politics, tribalism, greed and corruption.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:14:19 PM

Ethereum has a bit of static inflation, which is good for long term, but bad for short term, i'd pick an Asset inside of ethereum which serves as a good revenue generating DApp and hold that. I'd also hold some bitshares.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:16:29 PM

proof of importance is the biggest bullshit scam ever invented. ¨

PoI is one of the most complicated consensus mechanisms in crypto created by real published academics.  Stellar also has real academics working on their consensus mechanism, but it works in a completely different way so it is hard to compare.  

For an in depth explanation you can read the technical report in chapter 7.  http://nem.io/NEM_techRef.pdf

Oh cool a teleport matrix.. I didn't think StarTrek technology was out and ready to use for us average joe's already?!
I am the guy

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:11:03 PM

Practically speaking, my choice would be Nubits or Tether or both. However from a technical approach I'd go with VNL.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 02:47:47 AM

litecoin, because bitcoin can take all the hits and gives litecoin the early heads up on whats coming and how to improve before it becomes a problem.

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 04:42:38 AM

litecoin, because bitcoin can take all the hits and gives litecoin the early heads up on whats coming and how to improve before it becomes a problem.

Litecoin is PoW and any PoW coin will centralize just like Bitcoin.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 04:51:55 AM

some people just run with trading groups (like mine in signature *sigh*) and do the "hedge funds" this way Wink
more secure than just giving money to other people to invest
more work than just giving money to other people to invest

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 06:55:47 PM

Oh cool a teleport matrix.. I didn't think StarTrek technology was out and ready to use for us average joe's already?!

NEM difficulty = StarTrek level.  hahaha

forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:45:52 PM

Funny how everyone is talking about fiat.. Wouldn't Silver & Gold be a better option?
I thought most people invested in cryptos to avoid inflation.

JBC

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:28:29 PM

Funny how everyone is talking about fiat.. Wouldn't Silver & Gold be a better option?
I thought most people invested in cryptos to avoid inflation.

"Investing into crypto to avoid inflation"
*Buys Bitcoin* *Does not realize it has over 8% inflation a year and there's still 6-7 million coins coming out*   Cheesy

Bitcoin has more inflation than currencies in developed first world countries.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-price-90-users-want-higher/
90% of Bitcoiners want the price to be higher.  A good example of Stockholm Syndrome is where these same 90% of users will continue to support inflationary PoW.  Yet it is this inflationary PoW which creates a downward pressure on Bitcoin's price!  The user base does not know about alternative mechanisms.

The only non-inflationary crypto that was in the top 10 was NXT.  "Why didn't NXT go to the moon, then?".  Just because you don't have inflation doesn't not mean you can ignore the network effect.

JBC Japan Bitcoin
kenbytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:30:41 PM

perfect hedge is fiat i think Cool

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: