Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:36:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitPay only supports BIP101, NOT BitcoinXT  (Read 1567 times)
ChetnotAtkins (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:51:46 PM

It is hard work to rectify all the lies that XT shills keep spreading in this coordinated attack against Bitcoin.

Stop XT!
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:54:34 PM

It is hard work to rectify all the lies that XT shills keep spreading in this coordinated attack against Bitcoin.

Stop XT!

Obvious paid trolls are obvious. Let them spread their NSACoin shilling. Actually don't let them. I hate how they are trying to push XT. The 30 day spam attack is yet another obvious move of Hearncoin and friends.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:56:58 PM

So whats with this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1157516.0 which said the exactly opposite thing? So is BitPay supporting XT chain (or receive payments by XT), or the Core chain? I'm always on the core side, as it is the most secure client (some said XT is a virus).

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
valiz

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

BTC trader

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:58:40 PM

Stop XT!

Obvious paid trolls are obvious. Let them spread their NSACoin shilling. Actually don't let them. I hate how they are trying to push XT. The 30 day spam attack is yet another obvious move of Hearncoin and friends.
Well we can't exactly stop XT but we can convince the people not to download and run such a thing. Hopefully everyone will realize the fake urgency problem with the doctored solution in their huge PR campaign.  Smiley

12c3DnfNrfgnnJ3RovFpaCDGDeS6LMkfTN "who lives by QE dies by QE"
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:02:13 PM

BIP101 is what XT is all about. The point is, if Core does't implement BIP101 than XT is the way to go.

ticoti

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:02:16 PM

The point is why bitcoin core is not making the necessary changes to make this more efficient
Dissonance

Activity: 167

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:06:30 PM

I think XT only exist to force the issue with the core team.  IF they adopt bip101 or something similar XT goes away.
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:13:46 PM

BIP101 is what XT is all about. The point is, if Core does't implement BIP101 than XT is the way to go.

Besides BIP101, XT has shady features that help de-anonymizing people. Why didn't you mention this fact as well ?

It seems knight22 and a few new alts are the only people who push XT fork on the forum.
The most of hero/legendary people are against.

BIP101 is good thing, but it must be implemented in Core version. Also we have plenty of time and no need in hurry. CoinWallet attack threats is just bullshit and FUD spreading .
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:16:30 PM

XT must have more support then i thought.  Every thread has people shouting from the mountaintop about evil XT.  So much fear.  If XT was ignored it would have been the better strategy.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:17:18 PM

Besides BIP101, XT has shady features that help de-anonymizing people. Why didn't you mention this fact as well ?

It seems knight22 and a few new alts are the only people who push XT fork on the forum.
The most of hero/legendary people are against.

I'm pushing for BIP101. XT or Core I don't give a damn. I want bitcoin to scale. The blacklisting thing is just an OPTIONAL Ddos protection. Stop with all that paranoid FUD.

zeroday
Donator

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:22:21 PM

I'm pushing for BIP101. XT or Core I don't give a damn. I want bitcoin to scale. The blacklisting thing is just an OPTIONAL Ddos protection. Stop with all that paranoid FUD.

So please stop mentioning XP in your topics. BIP101 is not equal to XT.

The blacklisting thing is just an OPTIONAL Ddos protection. Stop with all that paranoid FUD.

Yes, this leaves an option for NSA/CIA to start attack in order to de-anonymize all the Tor users.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:27:53 PM

XT is the only implementation that support BIP101 right now so be it.

The blacklisting thing is just an OPTIONAL Ddos protection. Stop with all that paranoid FUD.

Yes, this leaves an option for NSA/CIA to start attack in order to de-anonymize all the Tor users.

How so?

TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:35:37 PM

what is bip101? the changes of increase block size and nothing else?

The point is why bitcoin core is not making the necessary changes to make this more efficient

because no dev is working on core anymore, you have two of them working on XT and the other against it with blockstream, none of them is interested in Core anymore
otherwise this discussion, would have been shut down from the beginning

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
zeroday
Donator

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:36:30 PM

Yet... They released it without waiting for consensus. It can be treated as just another altcoin fork.

How so?

This:
Connections are made over clearnet even when using a proxy or
onlynet=tor, which leaks connections on the P2P network with the real
location of the node. Knowledge of this traffic along with uptime metrics
from bitnodes.io can allow observers to easily correlate the location and
identity of persons running Bitcoin nodes. Denial of service can also be
used to crash and force a restart of an interesting node, which will
cause them to make a new request to the blacklist endpoint via the
clearnet on relaunch at the same time their P2P connections are made
through a proxy. Requests to the blacklisting URL also use a custom
Bitcoin XT user agent which makes users distinct from other internet
traffic if you have access to the endpoints logs.
source: http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010379.html
meono

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 03:07:32 PM

Stop XT!

Are you sure you dont have a mental issue?

This is what you wrote, isnt it

Already have there been dubious code segments detected in XT's code base. XT is a trojan horse that plans to base it's hostile takeover of Bitcoin on manipulating the notoriously stupid masses.

I for one will dump ALL my Bitcoins immediately on the XT chain, should it ever be tradeable, which will certainly not be without effect. Bitcoin simply cannot be in control of two people with very questionable motives and tactics. It is a tool of the cypherpunks

How are developers responding to this severe limitation of Bitcoin's usage. There are currently 72000 (!) unconfirmed transactions but it seems they don't really want to acknowledge it.

Perhaps set a limit of tx/s to discourage spamming the mempool and block malicious nodes.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 03:30:19 PM

iam sure that night22 and me are not paid trolls but we want a bitcoin, that can live up to its potential.

like someone said before:

"If Bitcoin is a tiny, obscure currency used by drug dealers and a handful of crypto-at-any-cost geeks, the cost of simply banning it outright
will seem trivial and the hammer will drop. There won't be a large scale
payment network OR a high-value settlement network. And then the world is
really screwed, because nobody will get a second chance for a very long time."

meono

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 03:31:10 PM

Jesus christ the amount of idiots in here are heartbreaking.

Support BIP101 means the BitcoinXT is completely compatible with whatever chain it is after the fork

Hence the BitcoinXT will remain as alternative client just as it is now.

This is EXACTLY the point Gavin wants to make by letting it out in the wild and LET THE NETWORK COMES TO CONSENSUS..

Now go laugh at your core devs because the Network WON.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 03:40:58 PM

There will not be a hard fork until January 2016 at the earliest. BIP 101 patch can be implemented in Bitcoin Core as well, and I hope it is and soon. What bothers me is that Mike Hearn used his commit privileges to publish Bitcoin XT with only a 75% adoption threshold by miners. Hard forks are dangerous, and the threshold for adoption should have been 90% or even safer 95%. I suspect he set the threshold too low because he realized chances of 90% consensus approval for Bitcoin XT was slim.

oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 03:43:53 PM

There will not be a hard fork until January 2016 at the earliest. BIP 101 patch can be implemented in Bitcoin Core as well, and I hope it is and soon. What bothers me is that Mike Hearn used his commit privileges to publish Bitcoin XT with only a 75% adoption threshold by miners. Hard forks are dangerous, and the threshold for adoption should have been 90% or even safer 95%. I suspect he set the threshold too low because he realized chances of 90% consensus approval for Bitcoin XT was slim.

Well they better hurry up with the BIP101 in Core because they are so slow to take measures that XT guys may end up taking the cake. Im all for making things slow and right but right now Core is under pressure.
uxgpf

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:56:02 AM

Yet... They released it without waiting for consensus. It can be treated as just another altcoin fork.

How so?

This:
Connections are made over clearnet even when using a proxy or
onlynet=tor, which leaks connections on the P2P network with the real
location of the node. Knowledge of this traffic along with uptime metrics
from bitnodes.io can allow observers to easily correlate the location and
identity of persons running Bitcoin nodes. Denial of service can also be
used to crash and force a restart of an interesting node, which will
cause them to make a new request to the blacklist endpoint via the
clearnet on relaunch at the same time their P2P connections are made
through a proxy. Requests to the blacklisting URL also use a custom
Bitcoin XT user agent which makes users distinct from other internet
traffic if you have access to the endpoints logs.
source: http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010379.html

It was a false alert:

So I checked, and the code described *does not* run when behind a
proxy of any kind, including tor:

https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt/commit/73c9efe74c5cc8faea9c2b2c785a2f5b68aa4c23#diff-11780fa178b655146cb414161c635219R265

At least based on my admittedly weak understanding of how the internal works.

Hopefully I save the next reader of your post from also having to dig
around to find the code and realize this is a false alert.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 6:36 PM F L via bitcoin-dev <
bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

Source: http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010384.html
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: