Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 10:39:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transferring exactly 100% of wallet when transaction fee is variable  (Read 685 times)
Europa (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 04:26:37 PM

I use the Armory Wallet on my PC. I have noticed when I want to move my wallet contents 100% to another wallet or address, I'm unable to send a value that when the fee is deducted results in a zero balance in the wallet. I've tried to use the "MAX"function and even tried to do the transfer and fail but get the transaction fee and then deduct it from my total and try again. It would seem that knowing the actual fee and deducting it from the wallet would yield a zero balance in the sending wallet. But it always fails saying I don't have adequate funds. So I always guess a safe amount below the fee and the transfer works but I'm always left with the error balance like: .00345 BTC. Then that value is so small its not enough to justify trying to use it. So I end up with a number of wallets with tiny balances that seem lost. Is there a way of dealing with this 'm missing that allows a 100% emptying transfer that just deducts whatever fee occurs and transfers the balance emptying the wallet. Then if I want I can just remove the wallet rather than having these almost empty wallets I don't know how to consolidate or empty.

Please help with ideas

RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 05:09:12 PM

Have not used Armory in a very long time but it sounds like the MAX feature is not working as it should.

On Electrum we have the ! feature. You just type ! in the amount field and it will then take the wallet balance minus the fee and enter it in the amount field. Once sent you are left with a round zero. I take it this is how the MX function on Armory is supposed to work.

Is there perhaps a way to set a fixed fee? You can then use that when you want to empty a wallet.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 05:09:51 PM

Add up your total balance.

Choose an appropriate fee manually.

Subtract that fee from your balance.

Send the remaining balance to an address of your choosing using the fee which you subtracted from the original balance.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 05:15:59 PM

Which version are you using and do you have dust in your wallet?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: