Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:09:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Confessions of an /r/bitcoin moderator  (Read 1938 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 04:39:51 PM

This one single person holds absolute centralized control of the two largest communications platforms for the community to discuss the future and evolution of bitcoin.

This is both a difficult and simple problem to solve at the same time. It is difficult in that the two largest forums for discussion of bitcoin are under the centralized control of a single individual. He exercises absolute power of what is, or is not, allowed to be discussed; including complete and total censorship power over the narrative in the two largest media outlets.

Bitcoin-xt is not a ‘threat’ to bitcoin. It it is an option, a choice, a candidate to be voted on. One where the community can vote on which features they want to see in bitcoin, versus those which they do not.

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/confessions-of-an-r-bitcoin-moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 04:53:40 PM

More dirty agenda getting exposed.,.... well well well we never see that coming do we ?  Roll Eyes
dasource

Activity: 821
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:33:03 PM

This is everything that BTC was not meant to be ... shame on you (I bet Satoshi is rolling over)

^ I am with STUPID!
Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 09:39:31 PM

Well, it is moderated by the same person, yes, but in the end , there is no power that could stop mass of users that want to say something against core version.
I also don't like centralization, but it is highly unlikely that we can avoid it in every form. Not without scattering bitcoin into 100 different versions and backers anyways.
I'm just trying to say, that opening up the gate to every "option" bitcoin can fork into isn't the answer either.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

meono

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 09:46:20 PM

Well, it is moderated by the same person, yes, but in the end , there is no power that could stop mass of users that want to say something against core version.
I also don't like centralization, but it is highly unlikely that we can avoid it in every form. Not without scattering bitcoin into 100 different versions and backers anyways.
I'm just trying to say, that opening up the gate to every "option" bitcoin can fork into isn't the answer either.

This has nothing to do with who open the gate because the system is designed to find consensus. Thats the fundamental of bitcoin and for a long time bitcoin experts have explained the best defense mechanism is the network comes to consensus to ignore or nullify the attack.

My point is forking is a feature not a bug.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 09:58:00 PM

You should be grateful that theymos has been able to keep these forums up against all the DoS attacks and basically allowed anyone to say anything they want.

Otherwise you'd have a bunch of fragmented communication sites and no economy-of-scale for us to speak to each other efficiently as a global community.

He allowed all that block size debate to go on and on and on.

You are free to compete and make your own top Bitcoin forum. Even Google refuses to link to this forum any more, because TPTB don't like the free speech that theymos provides. They'll probably take down his forums somehow eventually.

Come on just admit it. You love politics, communism, and a big government dick up your ass as a result.

meono

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:02:07 PM

You should be grateful that theymos has been able to keep these forums up against all the DoS attacks and basically allowed anyone to say anything they want.

Otherwise you'd have a bunch of fragmented communication sites and no economy-of-scale for us to speak to each other efficiently as a global community.

He allowed all that block size debate to go on and on and on.

You are free to compete and make your own top Bitcoin forum. Even Google refuses to link to this forum any more, because TPTB don't like the free speech that theymos provides. They'll probably take down his forums somehow eventually.

Come on just admit it. You love politics, communism, and a big government dick up your ass as a result.

You must learn that mentality from RPC.

Without Chairman Mao China would never be united. the Chinese people would not be living a freedoom life .

Am i right?

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:03:33 PM

Without Chairman Mao China would never be united. the Chinese people would not be living a freedoom life .

Am i right?

You must learn that your politicking instead of competing is Communism. Duh.

illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:08:36 PM

Bitcoin-xt is not a ‘threat’ to bitcoin. It it is an option, a choice, a candidate to be voted on. One where the community can vote on which features they want to see in bitcoin, versus those which they do not. [/i]

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/confessions-of-an-r-bitcoin-moderator

Indeed. Which is why it is reasonable for those who oppose it to stand their ground, in hopes of a better solution. The block size limit doesn't need to be raised in a day; XT is not the only option. The block size limit will inevitably be increased (and if not, we will simply pay more fees). So I won't support XT and I will keep running a Core node until XT is stripped down to a simple block size limit increase (I don't really support the 2x per year increase either but whatever), or a better alternative comes along. In the meantime, those who oppose XT should continue to voice their opinion (after all, who votes without context?) -- certainly with so much baseless vitriol coming from the other side.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 10:10:15 PM

Yet another thread about "censorship" in the wrong section. It's like, after a single decision that people do not agree with him, everything that theymos has done is being ignored.
This one single person holds absolute centralized control
This is wrong. I could even call it FUD. The domain name is owned by Martti Malmi aka Sirius. He holds more power related to the forum than theymos.

They should just pause moderation on this forum for a single day, and you'd see what would happen.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
meono

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:12:19 PM

Am i right?

The joke just went right over your head.

Just because Theymos is the chief operator of the forum does not mean the forum would not be running without him.

Did you know Satoshi created the forum and gave Theymos admin right ? Without Theymos it would have been someone else.

Time to step back and re look at your flawed logic
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:22:40 PM

Am i right?

Just because Theymos is the chief operator of the forum does not mean the forum would not be running without him.

Did you know Satoshi created the forum and gave Theymos admin right ? Without Theymos it would have been someone else.

I am aware that some have stated that Satoshi annoited Theymos.

Again you want to use politics to steal someone's asset thus Communism.

You act as if the forum is owned by the users and not by the owners of the forum. Capitalism not Communism.

You weren't there where Theymos was. Don't be jealous of his foresight. Go create your own foresight. Do NOT steal.

meono

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:43:17 PM

Am i right?

I am aware that some have stated that Satoshi annoited Theymos.

Again you want to use politics to steal someone's asset thus Communism.

You act as if the forum is owned by the users and not by the owners of the forum. Capitalism not Communism.

You weren't there where Theymos was. Don't be jealous of his foresight. Go create your own foresight. Do NOT steal.

Wait what did i steal? Idiot I'm simply countering your point regarding what theymos have done. You must have comprehensive problem
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:49:10 PM

Wait what did i steal?

Yeah Communists never do figure that part out. Good point.

meono

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 11:11:07 PM

Wait what did i steal?

Yeah Communists never do figure that part out. Good point.

Retard i compared Theymos to Chairman Mao, and you think i'm a commie

lol
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 11:18:16 PM

anyone is perfectly free to start their own bitcoin forum and moderate it however they chose  Shocked
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 07:28:26 AM

anyone is perfectly free to start their own bitcoin forum and moderate it however they chose  Shocked
But, you're wrong. It is easier to complain about the non existing censorship in addition to spreading misinformation.  Roll Eyes
AFAIK things are getting out of control. This is like the 5th thread I've seen where people complain about "censorship", while there is none. If there was real censorship, we would not be seeing such threads nor would we be ever hearing from those members again.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:48:18 AM

But, you're wrong. It is easier to complain about the non existing censorship in addition to spreading misinformation.  Roll Eyes
AFAIK things are getting out of control. This is like the 5th thread I've seen where people complain about "censorship", while there is none. If there was real censorship, we would not be seeing such threads nor would we be ever hearing from those members again.

i'd agree i think the mods are being too conservative with their moderation atm. just look at the threads, insults and misinformation left right and centre.

but forum moderation is up to the forum owner and their moderators, tis a big internet out there you can post anywhere you like if you don't want to follow the rules at any individual forums.

some seem to think its their god given right to post anything they want anywhere they wish  Roll Eyes

in the history of this forum i've had many a post deleted, when it happens i don't think "censorship"., i think "sorry my bad for breaking the forum rules"
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 08:00:07 AM

Or even post here in the altcoins section. 

I agree the reddit post and moderation on reddit seemed heavy handed, but I don't spend much time there to see how bad it had gotten.  I was surprised many of his posts there get massively downvoted, so he's not all powerful.

As to here, after reading about it, it's pretty clear that bitcoinXT is not bitcoin as I've come to understand it and so I'm fine with him saying it needs to go in altcoins.  It may one day overtake bitcoin, maybe it should replace bitcoin, but it isn't bitcoin.
meono

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 09:55:00 AM

Or even post here in the altcoins section. 

I agree the reddit post and moderation on reddit seemed heavy handed, but I don't spend much time there to see how bad it had gotten.  I was surprised many of his posts there get massively downvoted, so he's not all powerful.

As to here, after reading about it, it's pretty clear that bitcoinXT is not bitcoin as I've come to understand it and so I'm fine with him saying it needs to go in altcoins.  It may one day overtake bitcoin, maybe it should replace bitcoin, but it isn't bitcoin.

By that logic, we all are not using bitcoin right now and it died long time ago

Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: