Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:11:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] Ledger bitcoin wallet. ( Hardware wallet ).  (Read 927 times)
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 06:27:51 PM

As title says, I am looking if someone have this device and want to sell it off. Plz reply here and post your price.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
███████████████████████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
..CPLAY - IDO.████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
   O N E   E C O S Y S T E M   F O R   A L L 
Y O U R   C R Y P T O   N E E D S
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
harlenadler

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

Agent of Chaos

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:49:15 PM

Where are you at? Would you pay for shipping?
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:02:04 AM

Where are you at? Would you pay for shipping?

I am from India . How much the shipping cost will be to shipped it to India.?

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 03:26:27 AM

I'm not sure how safe that would be, purchasing and using a ledger wallet that was previously owned by someone else...
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 03:45:19 AM

I'm not sure how safe that would be, purchasing and using a ledger wallet that was previously owned by someone else...

Someone told me that Trezor and Ledger Wallets are similar in features. But Trezor wallet is little bit expensive and ledger wallet is affordable and cheap to buy it for peoples like us.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:49:20 AM

Someone told me that Trezor and Ledger Wallets are similar in features. But Trezor wallet is little bit expensive and ledger wallet is affordable and cheap to buy it for peoples like us.
The thing is that someone could possibly modify the hardware/software within the hardware wallet in a way that would allow whoever sold you the hardware wallet to know in advance which seed it will generate, or otherwise leak the private keys.
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:01:44 AM

The thing is that someone could possibly modify the hardware/software within the hardware wallet in a way that would allow whoever sold you the hardware wallet to know in advance which seed it will generate, or otherwise leak the private keys.

So, is it safe to buy the ledger bitcoin wallet directly from the official site ? It costs €63 above ( actual cost + shipping cost ).

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:05:45 AM

The thing is that someone could possibly modify the hardware/software within the hardware wallet in a way that would allow whoever sold you the hardware wallet to know in advance which seed it will generate, or otherwise leak the private keys.i

So, is it safe to buy the ledger bitcoin wallet directly from the official site ? It costs €63 above ( actual cost + shipping cost ).
If you trust the manufacturer of ledger bitcoin wallet then the safest way to buy one is directly from the manufacturer. I cannot say one way or another if it would be appropriate to trust them or not.
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:20:11 AM

The thing is that someone could possibly modify the hardware/software within the hardware wallet in a way that would allow whoever sold you the hardware wallet to know in advance which seed it will generate, or otherwise leak the private keys.i

If you trust the manufacturer of ledger bitcoin wallet then the safest way to buy one is directly from the manufacturer. I cannot say one way or another if it would be appropriate to trust them or not.

Then , what you say about the trezor wallet. Can you say it as a safe one ? I have seen some escrow using it for providing a secure escrow service l.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:26:47 AM

Then , what you say about the trezor wallet. Can you say it as a safe one ? I have seen some escrow using it for providing a secure escrow service l.
I think all hardware wallets are much too new to trust with large amounts of money. They have not been thoroughly tested against various attacks.

I do know that satoshi labs (the manufacturer of trezor) has been trusted by many escrow services on the forum to store their bitcoin with their trezors, however I have not personally looked into how appropriate it would be to trust satoshi labs.

I do not personally employ a hardware wallet to secure my bitcoin. 
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:32:08 AM

I think all hardware wallets are much too new to trust with large amounts of money. They have not been thoroughly tested against various attacks.

I do know that satoshi labs (the manufacturer of trezor) has been trusted by many escrow services on the forum to store their bitcoin with their trezors, however I have not personally looked into how appropriate it would be to trust satoshi labs.

What bitcoin wallet you used to secure your bitcoins then ? I am just looking to buy any hardware wallet to use it for storing my bitcoin funds for long time.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:44:18 AM

What bitcoin wallet you used to secure your bitcoins then ? I am just looking to buy any hardware wallet to use it for storing my bitcoin funds for long time.
I use electrum for both my online and offline funds. If you have enough bitcoin that you need to secure some of it on an offline computer/device then you should install electrum on a computer that does not connect to the internet (preferably neither in the future nor in the past), then generate a new seed on that computer. You would then want to have at least 3 copies of the seed across two mediums (you can store one on your offline computer, one on a USB drive, and one on paper), and have at least one of those backups in a place separate from you (e.g. it should be offsite). You can then copy the xpubkey to your online computer and use your online computer to create and broadcast transactions from your offline computer (that will be used to sign transactions to your hot wallet).
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 03:56:59 AM

I use electrum for both my online and offline funds. If you have enough bitcoin that you need to secure some of it on an offline computer/device then you should install electrum on a computer that does not connect to the internet (preferably neither in the future nor in the past), then generate a new seed on that computer. You would then want to have at least 3 copies of the seed across two mediums (you can store one on your offline computer, one on a USB drive, and one on paper), and have at least one of those backups in a place separate from you (e.g. it should be offsite). You can then copy the xpubkey to your online computer and use your online computer to create and broadcast transactions from your offline computer (that will be used to sign transactions to your hot wallet).

Just now , I have read the review about ledger bitcoin wallet nano on coindesk. It seems pretty good to use for storing your bitcoins safely.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
Eodguy149

Activity: 578
Merit: 554

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 04:25:09 PM

According to the post below the Department of Homeland Security uses a Trezor which is a pretty solid endorsement if you ask me. I personally own one as well and highly recommend it. Everything is open source and can be checked by the user upon delivery.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122438.msg11970644#msg11970644#Bitcoin|stickac

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
h4nn1b41

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:58:01 PM

The software must be easy to check. But the hardware attack is an interesting problem.

Do you know any case of an hardware attack?

I guess most of the time these things are meant to be unplugged so the risk of an attack should be very low.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 09:10:38 PM

The software must be easy to check. But the hardware attack is an interesting problem.
Most people are most likely not going to be technologically advanced enough to be able to check audit the software. A third party messing with a hardware wallet to allow for the private keys to somehow be known to an attacker is theoretical, however if such an attack has been pulled off, there is a good chance that it would go undetected as the user might simply abandon bitcoin (as many do after getting scammed), or stop using hardware wallets.
Do you know any case of an hardware attack?
Not exactly what you were talking about, but I do know about one hardware attack.
I guess most of the time these things are meant to be unplugged so the risk of an attack should be very low.
There is a reason why people are told to use a computer that has never, and will never touch the internet when they are creating a cold storage wallet/private keys. It is because if a computer is affected by malware then it could do a number of things that might take a long time to happen. One example of this is that a few years ago an android wallet software was creating private keys with weak RNG which allowed the creator of the software to know ahead of time what private keys would be generated. The phone could have been kept offline ever since downloading the software, however that did not stop the creator of the software from knowing the private keys
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:59:16 AM

i wouldn't buy a used one, for the above mentioned reasons. I do own one, and I'm very happy with it. they released a smaller cheaper version too IIRC...I think it sells for around $40.

do yourself a favour and get a brand new one right from the company. you'll sleep better at night.
Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 12:14:04 PM

They only cost 15EUR plus shipping for the HW.1 that works exactly the same way as the Nano without the flip case and logo. I would order a HW.1 directly from their website. Maybe you could find a few other people in India who would want to add to your order to save on shipping?

I have a trezor but really don't use it very much. Mycelium on android is pretty nice and you have lots of 2fa options. I also use Yubikeys a lot. They are a bit cheaper and work for many services https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/. Maybe they charge less for shipping too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: