Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:25:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The schism that divides us all  (Read 328 times)
chek2fire (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 11:07:58 PM

The best article about the BitcoinXT danger i ever read

http://wallstreettechnologist.com/2015/08/19/bitcoin-xt-vs-core-blocksize-limit-the-schism-that-divides-us-all/

you must read it asap especially all the supporters of the bitcoin fork.
I will quote something brilliant for recent comments of Satoshi Nakamoto. yes i believe it was him and not a fake account.

Where is Satoshi?

So with all these scary uncertainties, you may ask why hasn’t Satoshi come out to speak on the behalf of one side or the other in order to settle the dispute?  Indeed it would be akin to him coming out to act as a 3rd party mediator, such as when a parent comes in to break up a fight among siblings.  There has in fact been a post by someone claiming to be Satoshi, from a valid known Satoshi email address, claiming pretty much that the XT fork is unnecessarily dangerous, see here: Satoshi? Despite the many allegations that if this was really Satoshi, he would have signed his message with a known PGP key or perhaps moved some of his coins to prove that it was him, he has not done so.  I for one do not believe that he would.  If you read the message, (ignoring for a second who it is from) he is saying that Bitcoin’s vision is not one where it is subject to the egos of charismatic leaders, including Satoshi Nakamoto.  People who harp on the fact that Satoshi has not made a provably authenticated statement is clearly missing the whole point of this message.  If he were to do so, rest assured the whole of the community will rally with him, but that is exactly what he doesn’t want to happen, a whole community blindly following authority!  Consistently so, the author points out that if it takes a benevolent dictator to pull us out of this mess “deux ex machina” then Bitcoin, as a project in decentralized money resistant to authority, has failed.  That tautological statement, is provably true if you can wrap your head around it.  Therefore, if Satoshi wants it to succeed, he won’t use his ‘God card’ and settle disputes.  If Bitcoin continually needs Satoshi to keep us from going astray, then Bitcoin isn’t worth saving.   Considering that Satoshi has likely the most coins at risk than anyone else, and him coming forward to break the impasse would likely save us (and the value of his own coins) it is truly commendable that he has not done so.  The fact that he hasn’t tells me that he (where ever he or she is) is truly acting in an altruistic manner.  He is more willing to let Bitcoin die, than to let it continue on as a system that does not value consensus as its first and foremost priority.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 11:18:58 PM

Yes, that read was indeed brilliant. I never thought about this situation in that light. After all Satoshi is THE RICHEST bitcoin user of us all and he has a lot to lose here.
I used to think that Satoshi is being stubborn and his word could end this dispute between core and XT and end it all fast without further problems.
But now I understand that if devs, miners and users without him are not capable to overcome first 'crisis' then bitcoin is not really worth saving.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: