Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:03:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any altcoins with 8mB blocksize limit out there ?  (Read 774 times)
trior (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 12:58:33 AM

All in title.
I am wondering if there is any alt-coin with 8mb block-size limit that we can run tests on ,
to get some ideas about what we are running to if we increase the block-size limit in bitcoin .
 Huh Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:01:06 AM

Not sure what you're after but it's worth noting that the time between blocks for most coins is 1 minute so even with 1 MB block size limit they can handle 10 times more transactions than bitcoin.

Not your keys, not your coins!
crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:02:24 AM

Closest thing I know of is bitbean with 20mb. Although I think the DEV abandoned the project.  Roll Eyes big surprise Roll Eyes

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:26:05 AM

All in title.
I am wondering if there is any alt-coin with 8mb block-size limit that we can run tests on ,
to get some ideas about what we are running to if we increase the block-size limit in bitcoin .
 Huh Huh

This is a silly question because there's no reason for any altcoin to have blocks even 1/10th the size of bitcoin. Take litecoin for example. Many blocks, if not most blocks have zero transactions other than the coinbase. Block sizes are 2-10KB. LTC has <1% the number of transactions /min of BTC. LTC could have 100MB blocks and it would make no difference - there's not enough volume of transactions to come close to filling blocks whether large or small.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:39:36 AM

All in title.
 Huh Huh

This is a silly question because there's no reason for any altcoin to have blocks even 1/10th the size of bitcoin. Take litecoin for example. Many blocks, if not most blocks have zero transactions other than the coinbase. Block sizes are 2-10KB. LTC has <1% the number of transactions /min of BTC. LTC could have 100MB blocks and it would make no difference - there's not enough volume of transactions to come close to filling blocks whether large or small.

I believe, but not 100%, Litecoin has a 4mb block size currently.
It was originally programmed that way, not implemented later.

Edit: But yes, Litecoin's daily txs combined are not even more than 200kb.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
trior (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:41:46 AM

Closest thing I know of is bitbean with 20mb. Although I think the DEV abandoned the project.  Roll Eyes big surprise Roll Eyes

http://www.bitbean.org/about.html#

Quote from link
BitBean is based on a pro-Gavin proposal for a Bitcoin 20MB block size fork. Why wait to see if Bitcoin will ever change, BitBean started out from the beginning with 20MB blocks!

I guess bitbean is based on Gavin's modifications .

crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:49:40 AM

http://www.bitbean.org/about.html#

Quote from link
BitBean is based on a pro-Gavin proposal for a Bitcoin 20MB block size fork. Why wait to see if Bitcoin will ever change, BitBean started out from the beginning with 20MB blocks!

I guess bitbean is based on Gavin's modifications .

Like stated above, the 20MB wasn't needed, just another way to pump the price for a dump.

bitcreditscc

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:52:12 AM

All in title.
 Huh Huh

You know that blocksize is not always equal to transactions in alts right? There are other uses for larger blocks. Your dismissive answer is incorrect.

bitcreditscc

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 01:53:29 AM

Feel free to test the BCR chain, it has 20MB block size limit.

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:20:09 AM

All in title.
 Huh Huh

You know that blocksize is not always equal to transactions in alts right? There are other uses for larger blocks. Your dismissive answer is incorrect.

My point is that there isn't a lot of transaction volume on other chains. Enlighten me - what's the point of larger blocks with few transactions? [not trolling]

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 06:32:30 AM

All in title.
 Huh Huh

My point is that there isn't a lot of transaction volume on other chains. Enlighten me - what's the point of larger blocks with few transactions? [not trolling]

Exactly, people seem to think that the block size limit is something that has a huge impact on everything.. It is just a thing to ensure the transactions fit...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: