Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 11:24:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you use old Bitcoin if XT wins?
Yes - 43 (43.9%)
No - 40 (40.8%)
I have no coins but I would - 2 (2%)
I have no coins but I would not - 1 (1%)
I don't know yet - 12 (12.2%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you use old Bitcoin if XT wins?  (Read 3594 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:25:11 PM

i (and everyone else) will follow the longest chain. the other chain will be nearly worthless. so good luck.

and i want bigger blocks  Smiley

A sane person will follow the both.
novadragon

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:29:33 PM

i don't think so,,, i think i only will used old bitcoin
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:41:01 PM

LITECOIN!
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:44:18 PM

i (and everyone else) will follow the longest chain. the other chain will be nearly worthless. so good luck.

and i want bigger blocks  Smiley

A sane person will follow the both.

There will be no both. It's the longest chain or bust.

aakashsangwan

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

PUGG.io

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 04:59:27 PM

We thought that Bitcoin would be widely accepted and it's prices will reach the moon.
But there comes a nightmare commonly called "Bitcoin XT" and if it is accepted by more than 75% of the network, then Bitcoin will have no future according to me as Bitcoin XT is totally violating the principles of bitcoin core.

slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:59:48 PM

you can take bitcoin-core from my cold dead hands!
Dire

Activity: 112

Crypto-Games.net: DICE and SLOT

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:02:01 PM

I think the core chain can survive, I'm not saying it would keep much of its value, but it is possible to still run it so therefore some hardcore ideologists will still use core. Most miners going over to XT would also mean Core blocks may be easier to make.

That seems like incentive enough. There are plenty of alts worth less than what coins from a usurped core chain would be worth, and miners still mine those.

I'm in the both camp.
GODLIKE

Activity: 546

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:08:20 PM

No. I'll just stick it to the majority, either it being Core, XT, or whatever comes (whether I like it or not), under the risk of not being able to send/receive transactions and not being able to buy/sell goods to users of the longest/most accepted chain/chain with most hashrate.

You may get the both, check this guide - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1157679.0.

Nope. There will be only one winner because of the economic incentive.

I agree. And the same goes for most altcoins: they will be wiped out in some months or couple years.

Bitcoin IS the STANDARD.

Implemented in thousands and thousands of websites, accepted as well, it is the most widespread crypto, and it will remain like that.
Population inertia is a LARGE factor in money adoption.
Bitcoin blockchain buffer size will be changed when it will be needed.
Natural selection: XT will pop soon.

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:15:36 PM

There will be the both. Proved by Terracoin, Bytecoin and others.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:18:31 PM

No. I'll just stick it to the majority, either it being Core, XT, or whatever comes (whether I like it or not), under the risk of not being able to send/receive transactions and not being able to buy/sell goods to users of the longest/most accepted chain/chain with most hashrate.

You may get the both, check this guide - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1157679.0.

May is the keyword
Dire

Activity: 112

Crypto-Games.net: DICE and SLOT

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:29:10 PM

What I find interesting is that the assumption is that transaction values is what drives Bitcoin's price, in which case XT with 75% + wins and with that logic, everyone will go over to XT.

But, what about the fact that many people consider Bitcoin to be a store of value. I'll be honest, I don't much care about what I can buy with it at the moment, I prefer to use it at this time as a store of value. And I'm sure I'll be able to convert it to XT through an exchange when I want to spend my store of value.

What happens if XT gets 75% but core doesn't lose much of its value but XT does?

It could be the biggest financial f*ck up of the century, and early on in the century too.

Bitcoins value as a payment network is only one of its values. The others are being ignored.

Contrary to popular spin, it's entirely possible that XT Bitcoins could end up at the price of a Litecoin, while core Bitcoins retain a greater value.

Could go the other way too, though.
slaveforanunnak1

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 06:11:58 PM

What I find interesting is that the assumption is that transaction values is what drives Bitcoin's price, in which case XT with 75% + wins and with that logic, everyone will go over to XT.

But, what about the fact that many people consider Bitcoin to be a store of value. I'll be honest, I don't much care about what I can buy with it at the moment, I prefer to use it at this time as a store of value. And I'm sure I'll be able to convert it to XT through an exchange when I want to spend my store of value.

What happens if XT gets 75% but core doesn't lose much of its value but XT does?

It could be the biggest financial f*ck up of the century, and early on in the century too.

Bitcoins value as a payment network is only one of its values. The others are being ignored.

Contrary to popular spin, it's entirely possible that XT Bitcoins could end up at the price of a Litecoin, while core Bitcoins retain a greater value.

Could go the other way too, though.

I have a feeling this will happen. But it'll take a few before people fully realize they got on the wrong side of the fence
Tobo

Activity: 763

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 06:51:21 PM

If I keep 20btc in my Trezor before the split, after the split I should have 20btc in the original bitcoin chain and 20btc in the XT chian.

If I keep 20btc in an exchange like Coinbase before the split, after the split I will likely only get 20btc in the XT chian if the exchange choose the XT and I will not likely get 20btc in both chains.

Am I right?

Thekool1s
Legendary

Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 06:58:13 PM

if they keep the nonsense about logging people's IPs and banning vpns and Tor and they win, I will just walk away and leave Bitcoin

It wont be bitcoin than, it will be a profit coin for few people, If this happens i am clearly out of bitcoin as this destroys the purpose of what the bitcoin was created for.
Thekool1s
Legendary

Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:01:49 PM

If I keep 20btc in my Trezor before the split, after the split I should have 20btc in the original bitcoin chain and 20btc in the XT chian.

If I keep 20btc in an exchange like Coinbase before the split, after the split I will likely only get 20btc in the XT chian if the exchange choose the XT and I will not likely get 20btc in both chains.

Am I right?

So this will mean satoshis 1 million coins will become 2 million? so lets suppose everyone takes their bitcoin offline and doubles them this would mean there will be 42 million coins? This will surely destroy bitcoin if this happens or something similar happens.
slaveforanunnak1

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:02:24 PM

if they keep the nonsense about logging people's IPs and banning vpns and Tor and they win, I will just walk away and leave Bitcoin

It wont be bitcoin than, it will be a profit coin for few people, If this happens i am clearly out of bitcoin as this destroys the purpose of what the bitcoin was created for.

Im just going to keep running old core. There are a lot of people who think like that.
Core is not going anywhere, it will run with less hashpower and you just have to wait for more confirmations in case of 51%.  When the time comes and all these schmucks realize how shitty XT really is, They'll run back balling like one of your high school exs.
slaveforanunnak1

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:03:27 PM

Am I right?

So this will mean satoshis 1 million coins will become 2 million? so lets suppose everyone takes their bitcoin offline and doubles them this would mean there will be 42 million coins? This will surely destroy bitcoin if this happens or something similar happens.

Please read this.. it will explain what will happen when/if they go full derp ahead

http://wallstreettechnologist.com/2015/08/19/bitcoin-xt-vs-core-blocksize-limit-the-schism-that-divides-us-all/
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:03:43 PM

Am I right?

Yes.
Tobo

Activity: 763

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:43:00 PM

It is true but I don't think it will destroy bitcoin (maybe the overall value will go down). The coins on different chains will have different prices and I think their prices will depend on their network effects.  There will be a war between these two chains and the bigger one will try to kill the smaller one.
maxcarjuzaa

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 07:49:53 PM

If it wins we may experience a big price crash, so I don't know if I'll own any Bitcoin by then.

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??
Think again, harder this time

what would you preffer a bitcoin xt that anyone can use

old core limited to 7 tps

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: