Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:35:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT  (Read 524 times)
g-unit (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:24:27 PM

Someone help me fully understand this...I get that for XT to be implemented and Core forced to switch over, we must have 75% XT nodes by January 11, 2016, and it must remain above 75% for 2 weeks. If this fails to happen, will XT nodes be forced to switch back to Core, or will we indefinitely have both Core and XT nodes?

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:30:20 PM

They operate the same way, but if those conditions are met, Core and XT split, Core can disappear completely or still be maintained by some small group of people, if conditions are not met, nothing special happens...

g-unit (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:36:55 PM

So if conditions aren't met we'll have both Core and XT nodes?
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:42:25 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2015, 04:34:11 PM by knight22

Running on the same chain, yes. But Xt will probably go bust at some point if the conditions are never met.

g-unit (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:45:50 PM

Gotcha. Ok that's what I was thinking but wasn't fully sure. Thanks guys Smiley.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 02:48:04 PM

Running on the same chain, yes. But Xt will probably go bust at some point if the condition are never met.

Or both can just co-exist. It actually could be good to have 2 (compatible) clients rather than just 1.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 02:49:35 PM

As far as I know, XT nodes operate as normal Bitcoin nodes as long as the fork doesn´t take place, so they will remain working as such.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 02:51:32 PM

Someone help me fully understand this...I get that for XT to be implemented and Core forced to switch over, we must have 75% XT nodes by January 11, 2016, and it must remain above 75% for 2 weeks. If this fails to happen, will XT nodes be forced to switch back to Core, or will we indefinitely have both Core and XT nodes?

Quick ELI5:

Running XT at this time is equivalent with running Core. It's the same network, and the same Bitcoins. At some point in the future, if 75% mining majority is reached (but not before January 2016), the network will split whenever a miner creates a block larger than 1MB. This will not be accepted by Core unless they adopt a large blocks patch, but will be accepted by XT, and at this point there will effectively be two chains.

Running XT means that you will always be on the largest (75%+) chain, regardless of whether the fork actually happens or not. Running Core means that you will be left behind if a 75% majority is reached. Regardless of which version you run, coins will be safe (on both chains) as long as you acquired them prior to the fork, and for some time the chains will largely mirror each other.

g-unit (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:29:33 PM

Quick ELI5:

Running XT at this time is equivalent with running Core. It's the same network, and the same Bitcoins. At some point in the future, if 75% mining majority is reached (but not before January 2016), the network will split whenever a miner creates a block larger than 1MB. This will not be accepted by Core unless they adopt a large blocks patch, but will be accepted by XT, and at this point there will effectively be two chains.

Running XT means that you will always be on the largest (75%+) chain, regardless of whether the fork actually happens or not. Running Core means that you will be left behind if a 75% majority is reached. Regardless of which version you run, coins will be safe (on both chains) as long as you acquired them prior to the fork, and for some time the chains will largely mirror each other.

So if I'm not running a node, my coins purchased pre- and post-fork (if the fork happens) will all be safe?
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:35:02 PM

Quick ELI5:

So if I'm not running a node, my coins purchased pre- and post-fork (if the fork happens) will all be safe?

Yes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: