Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:28:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Look carefully at bitcoin's price action as the stock markets and oil plunge  (Read 877 times)
jehst (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 08:46:24 PM

Bitcoin is not a hedge. People aren't moving into bitcoin for safety.

Bitcoin, gold, oil, and stocks can all fall simultaneously. The USD reigns supreme.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
relm9

Activity: 840

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 09:02:07 PM

The USD won't keep rallying forever either. I'm of the opinion that there will be no true safe haven, in the event of another economic collapse. That's why it's best to diversify.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 09:12:39 PM

The USD is inflated through oil being pulled out of the ground at a unheard of rate. This will not be able to continue long term and should please the Saudis at the end of the day.
This is similar to how China is manipulating its own currency,just not as obvious to the every day person.

What has amazed me lately is Warren Buffets investment in trains at a time(2-3 years ago) that pipelines where looking to take over. Flash forward to today and trains are moving more oil than ever before. Little off topic but interesting he saw this coming or was positioned well enough to take advantage.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 09:22:26 PM

Bitcoin is not a hedge. People aren't moving into bitcoin for safety.

Bitcoin, gold, oil, and stocks can all fall simultaneously. The USD reigns supreme.

Yes but we must also take into account the impact of the blocksize issue on Bitcoin. If anything the stock market crash may have slowed down a crash in Bitcoin over the blocksize issue.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Beefcake

Activity: 279
Merit: 132

Beefcake!!!

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 10:13:03 PM

The USD is inflated through oil being pulled out of the ground at a unheard of rate. This will not be able to continue long term and should please the Saudis at the end of the day.
This is similar to how China is manipulating its own currency,just not as obvious to the every day person.

What has amazed me lately is Warren Buffets investment in trains at a time(2-3 years ago) that pipelines where looking to take over. Flash forward to today and trains are moving more oil than ever before. Little off topic but interesting he saw this coming or was positioned well enough to take advantage.

If you are not on the inside, then you are a loser.  You think that Buffet does not have friends who know what the plans are?  Its not like they can just start pumpig that oil over night.

The stock market just took a nose dive the last two days.  I have been saying the bubble will burst for a long time now, and we appear to be on the precipice.  All we need is a little catalyst to nudge us in the right direction and we will see another round of economic collapse and bailouts for rich wallstreet people (mostly goldman sachs).

I don't know if oyu can say whether btc will move with stocks.  The recent dump was clearly market manipulation, and it may just be coincidence that the stock market and oil are taking at the same time(ish).  We will see.  Interesting time.  I have not been in btc for very long, so I can't say for certain if it will track other assets, but I can see the appeal of btc as a safe haven.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:00:00 PM

It'll be a decade or more, if ever, for Bitcoin to be considered any type of hedge en masse. Its market movements might reflect a little something but overall it lives in a strange world of its own.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 03:01:13 AM

I just covered this topic the other day:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1132585

The reason it's hard to predict the BTC price right now and in the near future

Global deflationary depression

Things like oil and gold are down, cash liquidity in other areas drying up.  The fact that Bitcoin actually went up during this time period seems like a kinda bullish sign.  If governments print money to try and fight it, the money doesn't actually circulate, it just goes into pockets of people who already had millions in the bank.  The demand for super luxury goods has been going up because of this, while the normal economy goes down.

Eventually, these people playing musical chairs with stocks and fiat notes will have to leave it for something else, presumably things like gold, bitcoin, or both.  The only question is how low is everything going to go before it explodes upward.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░