Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:06:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Q] Xapo Wallet  (Read 1050 times)
BurgerKill (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 11:27:23 PM

So I recently created a Xapo wallet, but I was met with a verification requirement in order to begin using my wallet. Was this just a random security check that was put onto my account because some shady activity was detected? Or has everyone had to go through this process to us Xapo?

I highly doubt that everyone went through it because many people back away when asked for their ID, but a lot of people us Xapo.

I will lock this topic after the question is answered to avoid the same answer being repeated over and over again.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 12:30:43 AM

i only had to get a phone verification to start using xapo, however, its been a while since ive used that site so things might have changed.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 01:17:53 AM

I got this security check (phone verification) as well, and as you indicated "backed away" from going any further as I was looking for an anonymous wallet at the time.
yakelbtc

Activity: 140

0x7ae5adbc7a0429a49b6e6ed4a8a89ffbbae6125f

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 01:25:56 AM

Xapo wallet just need phone verification and if log in you need to enter your PIN code.

Hexcoin

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 01:33:25 AM

in my experience, xapo only require phone verification, if ID is needed for you then i suggest you to dont use their service
OBAViJEST

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 03:58:03 AM

So I recently created a Xapo wallet, but I was met with a verification requirement in order to begin using my wallet. Was this just a random security check that was put onto my account because some shady activity was detected? Or has everyone had to go through this process to us Xapo?

I highly doubt that everyone went through it because many people back away when asked for their ID, but a lot of people us Xapo.

I will lock this topic after the question is answered to avoid the same answer being repeated over and over again.

So...was the 'random security check' an identification card submission?  Or are you merely talking of phone verification?  I had no ID requests with Xapo (not that I use it any more), but I doubt your account was flagged for suspicious activity shortly after creation.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 04:53:40 AM

i only had to get a phone verification to start using xapo, however, its been a while since ive used that site so things might have changed.

This is all you should need for both sending and receiving funds. Shouldn't need any more verification unless selling BTC for fiat or getting the debit card.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 05:21:43 AM

I don't think anyone's answered your question yet - this was not a random security check. Everyone uses Xapo must provide this level of information and verification. The reasoning is likely two fold - 1) depends on what country you call home, and 2) it enables Xapo to provide you with greater security (if they know more about you it's harder for someone who's not you to access your wallet).

I hope this helps.

Know that if any wallet or exchange service used this private information for the wrong reasons that EVERYONE would leave that wallet, they'd be out of business SO fast. This fact/reality is what keeps them operating within the bounds of the trust wallet users grant them.

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 06:05:07 AM

I don't think anyone's answered your question yet - this was not a random security check. Everyone uses Xapo must provide this level of information and verification. The reasoning is likely two fold - 1) depends on what country you call home, and 2) it enables Xapo to provide you with greater security (if they know more about you it's harder for someone who's not you to access your wallet).

I hope this helps.

Know that if any wallet or exchange service used this private information for the wrong reasons that EVERYONE would leave that wallet, they'd be out of business SO fast. This fact/reality is what keeps them operating within the bounds of the trust wallet users grant them.

I don't use XAPO but are you saying that everyone who uses XAPO only as a wallet and not for buying BTC must provide them a verification ID to use their services? I can understand the phone verification part, which must be required for 2fa to work but how is providing them a verification anyway related to the security of the wallet?

OP if you don't have any funds there just use another wallet, a desktop one is preferred but if you still want to keep using online wallet (which is not recommended) then you should use blockchain.info you won't be asked to provide any sort of IDs to use the wallet and it's almost as safe as XAPO, maybe even more secure because you can take backup of your keys.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 06:07:51 AM

I hope this helps.

I don't use XAPO but are you saying that everyone who uses XAPO only as a wallet and not for buying BTC must provide them a verification ID to use their services? I can understand the phone verification part, which must be required for 2fa to work but how is providing them a verification anyway related to the security of the wallet?

OP if you don't have any funds there just use another wallet, a desktop one is preferred but if you still want to keep using online wallet (which is not recommended) then you should use blockchain.info you won't be asked to provide any sort of IDs to use the wallet and it's almost as safe as XAPO, maybe even more secure because you can take backup of your keys.

You don't need ID to use it as a wallet, to send/receive funds. Only to convert to USD or use the debit card.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
bitbaby

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 06:27:56 AM

You don't need ID to use it as a wallet, to send/receive funds. Only to convert to USD or use the debit card.

That makes sense, to sell/buy or to use debit card they would need the Identification papers but when he said this:

I don't think anyone's answered your question yet - this was not a random security check. Everyone uses Xapo must provide this level of information and verification.

I was confused and was thinking that it can't be right. Because OP only asked whether the verification was required to use XAPO as a wallet and he didn't mention that he was selling/buying btc or trying to get the debit card.

So I recently created a Xapo wallet, but I was met with a verification requirement in order to begin using my wallet.

everaja

Activity: 490

~ScapeGoat~

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 06:38:18 AM

Let me Explain you the full Procedure , it will automatically Clear your Doubts:

When You firstly Create an account on Xapo , you need to verify your account with your mobile number and email address.
when the above is done , Xapo remembers your browser and IP address , each time you log In with different browsers it ask again and again to verify your mobile number , via sending a text code to your firstly registered mobile.

meanwhile if you installed a xapo wallet in your Android device , then you can get exempted from verification each time , when you log In with different IP. Xapo automatically sends a code to your Xapo android App , and From There you can verify your web Browser account.

I personally suggest you to use a android wallet as its very easy to verify web Browser Wallets each time when you log In with different IPs.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 06:44:23 AM

That makes sense, to sell/buy or to use debit card they would need the Identification papers but when he said this:

I don't think anyone's answered your question yet - this was not a random security check. Everyone uses Xapo must provide this level of information and verification.

I was confused and was thinking that it can't be right. Because OP only asked whether the verification was required to use XAPO as a wallet and he didn't mention that he was selling/buying btc or trying to get the debit card.

So I recently created a Xapo wallet, but I was met with a verification requirement in order to begin using my wallet.

This is what happens when people don't actually read a post to see what it says, and instead just glance over it and post random stuff to try and pad their post count. You end up with incorrect information being spread (such as in your quote).

everaja

Activity: 490

~ScapeGoat~

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 06:51:12 AM

This is what happens when people don't actually read a post to see what it says, and instead just glance over it and post random stuff to try and pad their post count. You end up with incorrect information being spread (such as in your quote).

Yeah that could be a reason why there is so Much ban these days, I hope OP has got his answer and should Lock his thread to avoid users getting ban  for Spamming or Increasing Post Count.

BurgerKill (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 09:51:40 AM

Okay. I am not trying to buy bitcoins via Xapo; I'm just trying to use their wallet. (And by the way, I've already done the phone verification; I'm talking about verification with IDs). I feel like I should be a bit more clearer.

When I login, everything goes fine. Whenever I try to access my wallet, however, I am met with a mandatory identity verification step. It involves me inputting a few personal details and identification cards.

@everaja, thanks for your detailed explanation, but it wasn't exactly what my situation was.

I'd like to note that this is how my conversation with Xapo Support went:

Me: I'd like to use my wallet address for personal purposes but I don't feel that verifying my identity is needed for it.
Support: Thanks for reaching out! Apologies for any inconvenience, but in order for our users to be able to transact on Xapo, they need to verify their identity with us!

In the bolded part, they mention that they require all of their users to verify their identity before transacting. So why I am the only one who was faced with this?
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:48:16 PM

Okay. I am not trying to buy bitcoins via Xapo; I'm just trying to use their wallet. (And by the way, I've already done the phone verification; I'm talking about verification with IDs). I feel like I should be a bit more clearer.

When I login, everything goes fine. Whenever I try to access my wallet, however, I am met with a mandatory identity verification step. It involves me inputting a few personal details and identification cards.

@everaja, thanks for your detailed explanation, but it wasn't exactly what my situation was.

Me: I'd like to use my wallet address for personal purposes but I don't feel that verifying my identity is needed for it.
Support: Thanks for reaching out! Apologies for any inconvenience, but in order for our users to be able to transact on Xapo, they need to verify their identity with us!

In the bolded part, they mention that they require all of their users to verify their identity before transacting. So why I am the only one who was faced with this?

Do you have to send an ID or is it like entering last 4 of SSN and such? If it's the latter, I *might* have done that but don't think so -- it'd have been a long time ago. I definitely never sent in/uploaded an ID of any sort, though, and I'm able to send and receive with no limits.

MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 01:01:13 AM

I'm using XAPO wallet for more than a year until now they didn't ask for any ID verification. I use it because there is not charges for sending money, this helps when you send micro payments for small jobs.
lahm-44

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 04:04:08 AM

when I had created a account in the xapo wallet I find it quite irritating due to its withdrawal limits..but it just asked me a phone verification and a pin and even a email verification during the setup my profile..but then I just switched to mycelium wallet far better than that
bitbaby

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 02:08:45 PM

If they're asking you to provide verification just to use their wallet when you have no intentions of buying/selling then this be a good indication to drop them right now and move over to a wallet where you actually control your funds and not a third party.

Do you have any funds stuck there? If yes then you'd have to play along and do anything to get your bitcoins out, if not then just move on, there are other BETTER alternatives then using a third party online wallet which requires you to provide your ID just to send/receive BTC.

BurgerKill (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 11:53:00 PM

Do you have to send an ID or is it like entering last 4 of SSN and such? If it's the latter, I *might* have done that but don't think so -- it'd have been a long time ago. I definitely never sent in/uploaded an ID of any sort, though, and I'm able to send and receive with no limits.

Nope. You have to send IDs and they have to manually verify your identity. I doubt that you did it though because no one else seems to have run into this verification step.

If they're asking you to provide verification just to use their wallet when you have no intentions of buying/selling then this be a good indication to drop them right now and move over to a wallet where you actually control your funds and not a third party.

Do you have any funds stuck there? If yes then you'd have to play along and do anything to get your bitcoins out, if not then just move on, there are other BETTER alternatives then using a third party online wallet which requires you to provide your ID just to send/receive BTC.

Yeah, I thought it would be a simple process like Blockchain.info, but because they're insisting that I do this verification step, I'm probably just going to back away.

Closing thread now to avoid all extreme signature spammers who enjoy repeating answers over and over again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: