Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:20:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: does location affects mining performance?  (Read 2658 times)
menoiazei (OP)

Activity: 368
Merit: 24

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:10:58 AM

Maybe this has been answered before, as i try to educate my self more about aspects of BTC would like to ask
 if you don't take into consideration different cost of electricity in different places,
how does location affects the performance??

Many thanks!

Cause is not before and effect is not after

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hugs1BTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 12:34:08 PM

Well, temperature is one thing you must consider. Also, clean enviroment will protect your miners from dust.
Think about data centers located in cold places, well, it's similar for miners (I'm talking about the professional ones, not homemade-newbie stuff).
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 02:49:26 PM

Besides the power costs, consider ambient temperature, relative humidity, accessibility, etc.  Also, consider what pool on which you're planning to mine and your network latency to it - or, if you're going to run your own pool, consider latency to other Bitcoin nodes as the lower the latency, the better chance you have of your shares/blocks being accepted.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
cryptozulu

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

Maybe this has been answered before, as i try to educate my self more about aspects of BTC would like to ask
 if you don't take into consideration different cost of electricity in different places,
how does location affects the performance??

Many thanks!

Many aspects affect your overall mining experience, some quick items:

- Geographic Location
- Humidity
- Seasons and Temperature
- Cooling
- Quality of Hardware
- Power Cost
- Efficient Power utilization
- Smart Monitoring
- "Green" power possibilities

- Power availability - For example where I am, we have "load shedding" meaning that specific suburbs are grouped together during a week, and will be cut from power for 2-3 hours more than once a week to ensure that the national power grid can not fall over, mostly due to bad management/oversight on power consumption and requirements, the point is with mining especially now, you cannot even consider 30min of downtime since you worked out and calculated exactly how u would profit, it didn't include power outages, if you dont have power, you don't have miners, you don't have btc, you lose.

Honestly, if you had hashed the idea of jumping into a mining project, I guess from the onset there is enough out there to tell you, it will not come cheap, it will not only require x2 R9's to profit like a boss, it will not require a single power plug into a normal wall socket thats "not" UPS capable etc..

Mining has scaled sporadically but with haste, to a degree that, yes there is still potential, yes to many things, but you need to research really perfectly, in order to weigh the pro's/cons and make the decision, I think's its largely more "impossible" nowadays than it was before, and that's not showing signs of improving, most likely wont since it's a saturated market at this stage.

menoiazei (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:30:50 PM

thanks for the replies!

some more Questions,

does fewer Bitcoin nodes means better performance?

what is the power needed to run a pool? what is a ruff estimate of performance for 1  GigaWatt ?
is there an accurate way to calculate all this??

Huh

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 08:04:58 PM

The more Bitcoin nodes to which your own node is connected, the quicker you will receive transactions and block notifications.  Further, the better connected you are, the less likely chance you have of any blocks you find becoming orphaned.

Power to run a pool... that's actually pretty minimal.  Got a spare server around?

Estimating performance of total power is pretty vague.  It depends on how much of that power you use, and what hardware you have.  For example, let's say you truly can use that entire GigaWatt for nothing but mining gear.  If you used Antminer S5+, you could have ... let's see... just under 300,000 of them?  (A billion watts available, each S5+ takes 3436 Watts...).  I'm sure you don't have that kind of power at your disposal... but just for fun, that would mean 7.7 * 291,036 = 2,240,978 TH/s = 2.24 EH... or roughly 5 times the hashing power of the entire network.  Following this through, you'd expect to make 20,770BTC a day in the current environment.  Of course, you wouldn't really make that for long because with that kind of mining power you'd expect to find a block every 103 seconds or so... so about 830 blocks a day.  You might make that for 2 days, then the difficulty would adjust.

Ok... enough speculation about a scenario that is exceedingly unlikely to occur Wink

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
cryptozulu

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:32:49 PM

The more Bitcoin nodes to which your own node is connected, the quicker you will receive transactions and block notifications.  Further, the better connected you are, the less likely chance you have of any blocks you find becoming orphaned.

Power to run a pool... that's actually pretty minimal.  Got a spare server around?

Estimating performance of total power is pretty vague.  It depends on how much of that power you use, and what hardware you have.  For example, let's say you truly can use that entire GigaWatt for nothing but mining gear.  If you used Antminer S5+, you could have ... let's see... just under 300,000 of them?  (A billion watts available, each S5+ takes 3436 Watts...).  I'm sure you don't have that kind of power at your disposal... but just for fun, that would mean 7.7 * 291,036 = 2,240,978 TH/s = 2.24 EH... or roughly 5 times the hashing power of the entire network.  Following this through, you'd expect to make 20,770BTC a day in the current environment.  Of course, you wouldn't really make that for long because with that kind of mining power you'd expect to find a block every 103 seconds or so... so about 830 blocks a day.  You might make that for 2 days, then the difficulty would adjust.

Ok... enough speculation about a scenario that is exceedingly unlikely to occur Wink

Thoroughly enjoyed that imaginative piece there hehe, thank you sir!

But yes, enough of dreamy dream land, back to the real world, answer remains the same, yes it's possible, no its to much time and effort and funding, there are many parameters.
menoiazei (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:48:04 PM

thank you for the detailed explanation jonnybravo  Smiley

scenario is exceedingly unlikely true that !! curious if there is a formula to calculate performance per Watt...

can you please explain to me more the "7.7 * 291,036 = 2,240,978 TH/s = 2.24 EH"
many thanks!

Huh

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 01:36:58 PM

Sure.  You stated you had a GigaWatt of available power.  Each S5+ consumes 3436W and gets you 7.7TH/s.  I simply took 1 billion watts and divided by 3436 watts to get 291,036.  That's the number of miners you'd be able to run if you really did have a GigaWatt of power.  Since each gets 7.7TH/s, I multiplied 7.7 by 291036 to get the total number of TH/s you'd have at your disposal.

That's why I stated it was extremely unlikely you have that much available power.  Even the largest data centers measure their power capacity in megawatts.

Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:42:49 AM

Never heard about it. I guess the only thing standing between your mining equipment and its performance is the quality of your network and the provider...
cryptozulu

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 06:50:37 PM

thank you for the detailed explanation jonnybravo  Smiley

scenario is exceedingly unlikely true that !! curious if there is a formula to calculate performance per Watt...

can you please explain to me more the "7.7 * 291,036 = 2,240,978 TH/s = 2.24 EH"
many thanks!

Huh

If you had a formula to do that, what would that benefit you to have that answer? if the device/hardware has a stated rate of performance i.e 7.7TH, then that is the output you are likely to get from it, when you switch it on, what could affect it differently?

I can only think of things like

- Temperature
- Humidity
- Cooling (positive affect of course)

If the vendor selling the miner states "Up to x.x TH/s" or "Best effort" then it's got other defining factors, but to my understanding, it has a base set of power input it requires to run, and after that, the power factor doesn't make any difference other than the cost to you the individual and up time etc..

Or are we talking about the "Clean Power" vs "Power" because I don't know what the difference is?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 06:59:54 PM

Here is a neat data center. It's wave powered and cooled by the cold seawater. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
kama

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 07:22:07 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2015, 07:11:40 AM by kama

if you mean temperature yes it does.

edit:also there is electricity cost when deciding think this too

aakashsangwan

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

PUGG.io

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 05:14:38 AM

If you do mining in a cold environment then the cooling costs of minere will get reduced, so your return over investment will be quick.
But now a days coming into mining is not advised by anyone, so if you are new then don't do it or you will soose money in it.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:58:43 AM

basically only the temperature , the more cool the device remain for a long time, the more life span you weg out of it, this is true for every hardware

also you don't need to buy big fan to cool it down even more, so you save some money on that
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 11:43:00 PM

Latency has always been one of the overlooked aspects of mining. Don't overlook it.
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 08:40:03 PM

everyones already nailed on all the points.

temp / latency / humidity / air quality / etc
lajz99

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 09:42:28 PM

Here is a neat data center. It's wave powered and cooled by the cold seawater. 

Where can I snag one or two of these?

butdabass

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 12:50:36 AM

yes of course,base tha internet signal and power electricity..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: