Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 02:26:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy the most profitable 60Mhs A2 Farm Boy LTC miners, replace old Zesu  (Read 8192 times)
daveolake

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 12:35:56 AM

got my miners today ...half hr ago will unbox tomorrow. I will update then.
xingqiaoyin

Activity: 395

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 05:07:04 AM

yes please share the dimensions of the miner, i still cant figure out it's only 21cm in length...
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 05:30:56 AM

yes please share the dimensions of the miner, i still cant figure out it's only 21cm in length...

It looks like the blades might be vertical instead of horizontal, but it's hard to figure out from the images - if you can, take some good pictures of the inside of the boxes as well.  Wink
daveolake

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 06:19:42 AM

Will be as in depth as I can. I should have info going up here in about 12 hr from now  11:15pm my time so should have stuff to post by 11am or so. off to bed talk to ya all tomorrow. post any info your looking for and I will try to answer.
daveolake

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:40:11 AM

sorry for the delay, my main pc at work died and couldn't do anything from there all day. will get some stuff out here tonight.I will post all my pics soon.
daveolake

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:50:20 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qxobyne4hgtjoi0/AAD6HU5Jkkgjr7XwliRe1bbZa?dl=0
couldn't get the pics to input here... so here's the link. They were packed well. my power supplies went in with no problem, the leads for the power were not needed, they use 4 pci-e power 6 pin. and run mining at 550w. working and mining in a short time.
MarkAz

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 05:29:41 AM

Great pictures, thanks for taking the time daveolake!

Overall an interesting design - the only thing I don't like about it is there is basically almost zero airflow around the non-heatsink sides of those PCB's, just a tiny bit next to the big main heat sink holes.  I imagine it must not be that critical or they probably would have done something about it - how hot does the unit run compared to the 88 or 110's?

Cool that the PSU fits into the box like that, makes for a really convenient form factor...  Do they provide flashing instructions or anything else for the WR703N's?  TBH, I would just toss one of those in each unit, for $10 each from China or even $20 Prime off Amazon, there's no benefit to not having one per box.  Plus then if something happens, it's just one box down not all 3.  And what kind of software is running on it?  Some tweaked version of DD-WRT?  Will they sell you more of them, instead of just the 1 per 3 boxes, and how much do they charge?

From your power picture, it looks like they're working at spec or slightly better than spec, which has been my experience from Innosilicon - nice to have a manufacturer who doesn't promise the world and delivers what they say.

Nice to see they've kicked it up a notch with those fancy stickers... They seriously need to see if they can find a graphic designed - literally ANY graphic designer.  Wink

TBH, I kind of discounted this unit and wasn't super interested, but after seeing it, it definitely looks more promising than I thought.  If you had a WR703N for each one, I think it would be a great solution, even better than the 88's or 110's, which I think are awesome units.
kae1078

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Kupla Kudos Coming Ur Way!

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 05:53:32 AM

Nice looking miner and seems all parts are snug fit.
Does the USB cable, hub & DDWRT router comes when you buy three farm boy?
daveolake

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:16:41 AM

Great pictures, thanks for taking the time daveolake!

Overall an interesting design - the only thing I don't like about it is there is basically almost zero airflow around the non-heatsink sides of those PCB's, just a tiny bit next to the big main heat sink holes.  I imagine it must not be that critical or they probably would have done something about it - how hot does the unit run compared to the 88 or 110's?

Cool that the PSU fits into the box like that, makes for a really convenient form factor...  Do they provide flashing instructions or anything else for the WR703N's?  TBH, I would just toss one of those in each unit, for $10 each from China or even $20 Prime off Amazon, there's no benefit to not having one per box.  Plus then if something happens, it's just one box down not all 3.  And what kind of software is running on it?  Some tweaked version of DD-WRT?  Will they sell you more of them, instead of just the 1 per 3 boxes, and how much do they charge?

From your power picture, it looks like they're working at spec or slightly better than spec, which has been my experience from Innosilicon - nice to have a manufacturer who doesn't promise the world and delivers what they say.

Nice to see they've kicked it up a notch with those fancy stickers... They seriously need to see if they can find a graphic designed - literally ANY graphic designer.  Wink

TBH, I kind of discounted this unit and wasn't super interested, but after seeing it, it definitely looks more promising than I thought.  If you had a WR703N for each one, I think it would be a great solution, even better than the 88's or 110's, which I think are awesome units.

Thanks,they run quite cool but are a bit loud. I can't compare as I don't have any 88 or 110's. I didn't have much time today to do much about the software... I will check it out over the weekend. You can ask them about more of the wr703n's Trying to find out those same questions I would have liked a pi with the a2 normal software. but these may be flashible and maybe someone with the skills could flash them with something like the moded latest a2 software.
daveolake

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:17:14 AM

Nice looking miner and seems all parts are snug fit.
Does the USB cable, hub & DDWRT router comes when you buy three farm boy?
yes they do
wmtomlinso

Activity: 117

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:38:16 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this thread and I am excited about getting new more efficient miners.   

This is exactly a Zeus Thunder x3  27Mh/s except with a different PCB, which is awesome for me.  I have 1 gigahash of Zeus Miners - 20 Zeus miners and i do all the maintenance and upkeep myself.  i know this miner like the back of my hand!  And I also have 6 110Mh/s Innosilicon that run MarkAz's image.

i was thinking perhaps we should try to do a group buy of the 110 since they are end of life.  They are truly plug and play, i haven't touched a single one of my six in over a month, and usually alll that ever goes wrong is a corrupt SD card.  i have had them about a year and they have been running continuously since they arrived.  we could ask innosilicon to leave out the PSU for a deeper discount, which it sounds like they would be delighted to do.   Then we can power 2-3 of them on a IBM 2880w server power supply The 2880 has been shown to run consistently, reliably at 3200-3400w, and its Platinum).

If i got the farm boys, the first thing i would do is run new wire from the PSU directly to the terminal on the PCB.  This eliminates that male-female pci-e connector which is a source for heat generation which cuts into your power efficiency.    on the Zeus, they would get very hot and randomly melt because they have 250-300 watts going thru them.  This new farm boy uses less power so that shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.  Personally i would keep the PSU outside the box simply because it is a nasty environment inside the box and I want to be nice to my PSU's so they will last.

So what do you think of a group buy of the 110Mh/s unit?  Someone also said innosilicon offered a generous discount on 5, i believe...

wmtomlinso

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 02:03:48 PM

Also, it looks like the Farm boy uses the same FDTI VCP UART usb interface as the Zeus Miners.   Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers cause the USB device to appear as an additional COM port available to the PC.  So you should be able to connect that usb from the miner directly to your PC OR Raspberry Pi, and with the VCP windows  or linux driver, you can run Dmaxl's cgminer or BFGminer...  exciting!

CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:40:14 AM

Very interesting! Someone at Innosilicon spent some time designing a new PCB for that form factor. Once again impressed with Innosilicon.

If only I had more power available I would be looking at some Farm Boys or some more A2 Mega Terminators. The comments from Toomim Brothers on the steel used for the Terminators is accurate. They are built like a tank...unnecessarily so.

I too think they should offer the A2 Mega Terminators without power supplies but due to their overly heavy construction I doubt it would save much on shipping.

Beachguy
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1001

Spectreproject Community Manager

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 06:17:33 PM

couldn't get the pics to input here... so here's the link. They were packed well. my power supplies went in with no problem, the leads for the power were not needed, they use 4 pci-e power 6 pin. and run mining at 550w. working and mining in a short time.

Thanks for the pics, what was your shipping cost?

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
daveolake

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:09:51 PM

Thanks for the pics, what was your shipping cost?
dhl 95 each shipping under 300 for all 3. plus dhl charged duty tax ect. was 65 for all. total miner cost plus 365.
Inno_ASIC (OP)

Activity: 243
Merit: 108

Innosilicon ASIC official representative

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2015, 01:42:44 PM

So you are saying that the A2 110Mh/s Terminator units are $1k USD?  What is shipping on these to the US?

Shipping fee through our DHL channel to the US is $193 per 110Mhs unit, and $851 for five units, which are over 70% off. It may fluctuate according to the Fuel Surcharge.

Innosilicon Mining ASIC official Account
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2122
Merit: 1398

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 06:43:10 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2015, 06:55:27 PM by jstefanop

Very interesting! Someone at Innosilicon spent some time designing a new PCB for that form factor. Once again impressed with Innosilicon.

If only I had more power available I would be looking at some Farm Boys or some more A2 Mega Terminators. The comments from Toomim Brothers on the steel used for the Terminators is accurate. They are built like a tank...unnecessarily so.

I too think they should offer the A2 Mega Terminators without power supplies but due to their overly heavy construction I doubt it would save much on shipping.

Actually no....whats interesting about this design is that its and EXACT copy of Zeusminer hardware. It uses the same case design, exact same heatsinks, and even the power rails / design on the PCBs are an exact copy from the zeus board designs. If you look closely even the screw holes are in the same position. (this would be interesting for people that have zeus hardware and want to upgrade buy ordering just the blades).

Pretty sure whoever is behind these new machines are whats left of the Zeus miner team (or Zeus Miner was simply a rebrand of early Inso tech).

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2122
Merit: 1398

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:06:41 PM

QA by Innosilicon, this batch of 60Mhs units are contract manufactured by previous Zeus manufacturer and can be used to directly replace Zesu if you own one since all non-PCB parts such as PSU, fans, cases, router, heat-sink is pretty much reusable from old Zeus miners. Note that PSU is external just like Zesu and any open market PC power supply (600W or above power supply with PCIe6+2 connector) will do it. The case and heat sink from new machines are reused from Zesu miners but QA qualified and don’t affect the performance. If you own a old Zesu, you can reuse all the parts except PCB as spares. If you want to buy our 110Mhs A2 Power Terminator unit with PSU in the case, the price now is 1K US per Unit.

Nevermind...guess I should have read their whole post Wink

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
MarkAz

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 08:57:49 PM

It would be interesting to see if they'll open-source the communications part of interfacing with the devices - I can't build a custom CGMiner, so I wouldn't be able to support the miner with my firmware without that I imagine...
wmtomlinso

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 10:22:39 PM

This is the CGminer that I use with my Zeus miners.  When you compile it, enable options scrypt and Zeus.  This is an updated version and  has extra-nonce subscription built in.  I bet it works equally well with the farm boys.

https://github.com/dmaxl/cgminer
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: