Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:45:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining for heat  (Read 1030 times)
Vayn (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:01:49 PM

So a few months ago i read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32816775 and it seemed like a good idea, when i set my computer to mine it makes a lot of heat, why not use that to warm my house? So my question is with ASIC miners around would it be better to buy one/a few (depending on rooms i want to heat) or to build GPU mining rigs? I have heard it is very hard to get ASIC miners with delivery times being very long to never whereas i can get computer parts quickly. So ASICs may use less power and get higher hashrates but would they make as much heat? also how noisy are they? the there is the fact that they are pre-built so cant be made to sit flat against a wall like a computer could. Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, advice, anything for me on how this could work? Thanks in advance.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:14:42 PM

The ASIC is probably going to give you a better return on your money than the GPU, and be a bit easier to move around since they tend to be already contained.  Since you're posting in altcoins, I'll assume you want an scrypt miner, so if you look at something like a InnoSilicon Terminator Mega 110MH, those things put out some decent heat.  They are definitely loud though, so keep that in mind, although you could probably replace the fans with some quiet fans if the ambient temperature is going to be relatively low.

As far as shipping times, you can order those from Innosilicon directly and get it in no time - or look around used and see if there are any deals, although the market for scrypt has been pretty tight lately.

You might also consider the Bitmain Antminer S5, it puts off a decent amount of heat, and with BTC being relatively low these days, you can pick them up pretty cheap.

Either device will mine more than the power they cost to run, unless you are paying some really high rates - and even then, your space heater doesn't pay you anything when it runs.  Wink
Vayn (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:22:25 PM

So no point in using GPU mining for this anymore then? thanks for the help though i will look into the both.  Grin
MarkAz

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 06:02:31 AM

I think if waste heat is your objective, dollar for dollar your best bet is an ASIC, they run hot and don't do anything other than mine.  And something like the S5 you can pick up for about the same price as a middle of the run video card, and it's standalone - you don't need a computer or anything else to work it's magic.
Vayn (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 07:23:56 PM

ok thanks, do you know of a good guide on setting these things up? eg do they need a separate psu to run or how to set it up to a pool or anything? also what about usb miners and a raspberry pi, would that work?
MarkAz

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 10:14:36 PM

ok thanks, do you know of a good guide on setting these things up? eg do they need a separate psu to run or how to set it up to a pool or anything? also what about usb miners and a raspberry pi, would that work?

I don't have a ton of experience with any USB miners, but I don't think they'd put out enough heat to do much of anything.  For the S5, the only thing you need is a ~750w computer PSU and an ethernet cord - it has everything else.  By default it mines on AntPool, which is fine and if you don't want to mess around just create an account on there and replace the username on the box - that's it, you're generating heat and earning bitcoins.
Vayn (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 12:09:51 AM

OK i will look at getting one, thanks for all the help.
hdmediaservices

Activity: 630
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 05:45:05 PM

Are there not health concerns regarding regarding toxins?  I dunno - doesn't sound like a clean way to produce heat.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: