Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:39:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete dezentralisation of mining possible ?  (Read 7301 times)
doc12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1042

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:35:21 PM

Lets assume bitcoin has 1 billion users in the future... would it be possible to mine on every device connected to the network, but just use a tiny amount of cpu time to save battery on a smartphone for example ??

With every device mining just 50mh and 1 billion users the hashrate would be higher then now.

To avoid big miners the mining revard could be split equally among all network partipiciants.

Is it complete bullshit ? Or is this somehow possible ? Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6577

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 10:41:11 PM

It is possible but be completely pointless since each participantt would be getting a few satoshis which would be worthless unless the price goes up a lot.

Also, unless they can figure out how to make small, low power and low heat chips, it would say through the battery quickly, literally burn a hole in your pocket, and destroy the life of your battery since heat destroys lithium ion batteries.

doc12 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:46:36 PM

Hm I think 10 years from now even a smartphone cpu will calculate 50mh with under 1% cpu usage. So there would be almost no battery drain.

The reward is not intended to earn big amounts of money , but just compansate your energy consumption.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:52:28 PM

It's not completely pointless at all! If sufficiently many users are willing to run a microminer at a small monetary loss, then it becomes practically impossible to run a commercial mining farm. I think we're quite far away from that scenario, but it's a theoretical possibility. I hope that eventually a hundred million people will care enough about decentralisation, and in that case it might happen.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 01:53:54 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2015, 02:17:46 AM by TPTB_need_war

It is possible but be completely pointless since each participantt would be getting a few satoshis which would be worthless unless the price goes up a lot.

Unless they were mining for spending on microtransactions. But Bitcoin's PoW hash is too favorable to ASICs versus CPUs to make this viable as you say only a few satoshis in relative hashrate.

It's not completely pointless at all! If sufficiently many users are willing to run a microminer at a small monetary loss, then it becomes practically impossible to run a commercial mining farm. I think we're quite far away from that scenario, but it's a theoretical possibility. I hope that eventually a hundred million people will care enough about decentralisation, and in that case it might happen.

You astutely describe my design for eliminating commercial mining. But I don't rely on them caring about decentralization.

mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 10:04:25 AM

You astutely describe my design for eliminating commercial mining. But I don't rely on them caring about decentralization.

So what incentive do you have in mind?

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 11:52:14 AM

My white paper will be published.

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 12:08:54 PM

My white paper will be published.

I think of 21Inc.  Why?  Maybe free phones and laptop equipment that has the ability to run just the same or better than off the shelf components, except its given away freely. The terms and conditions of giving away would mandate that whenever plugged in it would run a mining program subroutine to mine for BTC.  That would eventually allow the devices, if used steadily to incrementally mine btc to be collected and perhaps distributed to the users of the phones, the employees of the phone company (in this case, 21inc), and the ability to pay vertical companies, such as quallcomm or intel to provide the chips for said subsidized phones.

cocos

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 12:59:38 PM

Yes, it is possible if you change the mining method. Mining with bandwidth is a good idea for that.
johoe

Activity: 217
Merit: 238

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 01:16:32 PM

If you can market it as a lottery, it may work.  If a billion people spend 10 $/month (on average; richer people spend more, poorer people less) for mining with the tiny chance of 1 in 20000 per year to win a block that pays them a million $, then commercial mining would mine at a loss, but people may still have the incentive to do that.  Especially if you tell them that these 10 $ are for a good purpose (to keep their Bitcoins safe).  This would also eliminate the need for mining pools.

Not sure if this works out, though.  Say half of the cost would be necessary to run a full node (otherwise you don't get decentralization) and the other half would be maintaining costs and electricity to run the hashing asics.  Any variation of prices for electricity or on the price of low power asics can mean that commercial miners make some profit (because they would only have the costs for the asics).  And 5$/month for a full node may not be enough.

Donations to 1CF62UFWXiKqFUmgQMUby9DpEW5LXjypU3
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 02:27:58 PM

If you can market it as a lottery, it may work.

You've got one aspect of it. Of course Bitcoin's full node requirements are too onerous as you point out. If they aren't full nodes then you really don't have decentralization.

tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1080

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 03:30:10 PM

Unless they were mining for spending on microtransactions. But Bitcoin's PoW hash is too favorable to ASICs versus CPUs to make this viable as you say only a few satoshis in relative hashrate.

I designed Cuckoo Cycle to be a low-power PoW that spends the majority of runtime waiting
for random memory access latency (almost like Proof-of-Wait).

https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo offers several bounties for disproving its claims of being an ideal memory bound PoW.

It could easily run on smartphones while they charge overnight, with no fear of overheating.

The more people are able to mine (including botnets that will still be vastly outnumbered) and willing to do so at a loss, the less commercial mining can survive.

Bitcoin would have to introduce an alternative PoW very slowly;
p*CPU + (1-p)*ASIC where p rises from 0 to 1 (or 0.5) over many years.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 03:44:32 PM

Hi tromp. Remember me? AnonyMint.

tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1080

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:45:53 PM

Sure. Who could forget:-?
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 06:16:59 PM

Yes, it is possible if you change the mining method. Mining with bandwidth is a good idea for that.

No, as it will centralize it into the hands of tier-1 providers, network operators, etc. It also doesn't secure a blockchain like cryptographic PoW does.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:05:12 PM

Sure. Who could forget:-?

Damn I thought I was flying below the radar.  Lips sealed

doc12 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 09:13:16 PM

IMO the key to total decentralisation would be a mining revard system which pays equal reward to each miner, no matter how much hash the miner contributes. Of course there should be a minimum hashrate to get rewards.

This would kill the arms race, but I dont think its possible.
tonycamp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 09:23:42 PM

i dont say its anarkik idea but sure its very low rules of hieraquy that the world usually does rules i mean same equal pwoer for every one in number? seems a bit fuzzy.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● REGISTER NOW and GET 1000 DOGE for FREE!  >>
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 09:31:33 PM

Complete decentralisation:

* Single transaction blocks
* Sending a transaction produces a block
* Only you can mine blocks you produce

There are a number of problems with this, but that is one way to have complete decentralisation.
cocos

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 02:18:51 PM

No, as it will centralize it into the hands of tier-1 providers, network operators, etc. It also doesn't secure a blockchain like cryptographic PoW does.

No, centralization is impossible if you use a wifi mesh network like netsukuku, you can use your full speed of your wi-fi 150 or 300 Mbps to mine coins without limitation and providers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: