Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:24:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A World of Trust – eMunie Consensus Primer  (Read 7313 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 03:09:37 PM

1) No, there is a set interval of 60 seconds (which is also the transaction failure duration) where eligible nodes are valid.  So say that the time now is 00:01:00, a set of nodes are valid, at 00:02:00 a different set of nodes are valid based on the endorsements made in the interval 00:00:00 -> 00:01:00.  This should allow even the most latent of nodes to keep pace.

2) Hmm I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion.  If nodes go offline, then come online again later, they will receive endorsements again, which will increase the eligible set of nodes again.

Yes I'm aware of that, the FBA algorithm is the replacement for that broken one.

1) I suppose it depend on what bounds the latency is under. I agree that 60 latency is hilariously long for nominal operations, but its always the edge cases which cause the problems

2) If nodes go off-line never to return, doesn't that reduce the set eligible set to 0 on the limit?

Regarding FBA - I thought that was the broken design, not the new one?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fuserleer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 03:16:35 PM

1) No, there is a set interval of 60 seconds (which is also the transaction failure duration) where eligible nodes are valid.  So say that the time now is 00:01:00, a set of nodes are valid, at 00:02:00 a different set of nodes are valid based on the endorsements made in the interval 00:00:00 -> 00:01:00.  This should allow even the most latent of nodes to keep pace.

2) Hmm I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion.  If nodes go offline, then come online again later, they will receive endorsements again, which will increase the eligible set of nodes again.

Yes I'm aware of that, the FBA algorithm is the replacement for that broken one.

1) I suppose it depend on what bounds the latency is under. I agree that 60 latency is hilariously long for nominal operations, but its always the edge cases which cause the problems

2) If nodes go off-line never to return, doesn't that reduce the set eligible set to 0 on the limit?

Regarding FBA - I thought that was the broken design, not the new one?

1) It would have to be a really bad day for the internet globally if all of the eligible nodes at any time are seeing latencies approaching 60 seconds.

2) Eventually yeah, but then that will likely also mean the network is dead and there aren't any client nodes coming online to make transactions either.  Same as if all the miners went offline never to return.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 07:14:02 PM

1) It would have to be a really bad day for the internet globally if all of the eligible nodes at any time are seeing latencies approaching 60 seconds.

2) Eventually yeah, but then that will likely also mean the network is dead and there aren't any client nodes coming online to make transactions either.  Same as if all the miners went offline never to return.

1) Of course, steady state you don't expect to see latencies like that, but connection interruptions and crashes do happen. How does a crashed node, which has been disconnected for, say 1 day know how to resync and who the correct nodes are to listen to?

2) What I mean is that if you have set of N nodes, who propose future nodes M from the subset of N, nodes going offline will lead to 0 eligible nodes if M must always be a subset of N.
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 07:23:01 PM

there is no way to predict which SN will get the next transaction as it is based on human behavior

Ahem. You need to prove mathematically and holistically that is a random process and not subject to game theory. That is essentially the fundamental problem with PoS, its entropy is bounded unlike PoW where the entropy is external.
How does http://blog.cr.yp.to/20140205-entropy.html relate to the assertion that bounded entropy is bad? Bitcoin's reused R value attacks arise since it requires new entropy for each transaction, while with the curve25519 this does not seem to be the case.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
okiefromokc

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 09:49:42 PM

1) Of course, steady state you don't expect to see latencies like that, but connection interruptions and crashes do happen. How does a crashed node, which has been disconnected for, say 1 day know how to resync and who the correct nodes are to listen to?

2) What I mean is that if you have set of N nodes, who propose future nodes M from the subset of N, nodes going offline will lead to 0 eligible nodes if M must always be a subset of N.
Well, any eMunie client, new or offline for several days, can fully sync even when only non-service nodes such as a client only.  Some of the client only also have the full ledgers. I proved this by syncing a new client with just the client only faucet as the only active node.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: