Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:05:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backing up Wallet.dat and Blockchain?  (Read 952 times)
otrkid70 (OP)

Activity: 920
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:18:34 AM

Ok so i have had so many problems with the core wallet in the past and have had to Re-D/L the whole damn thing over and over again due to Corrupted files Reformatting my comp etc.

So we Backup our Wallet.dat file can i backup the Blocks folder in the roaming and perhaps save Days and weeks of bullshit if my file gets corrupted again?

Also besides the wallet.dat and Block folder can i backup the Chainstate folder or does that even matter?

I'm just looking to avoid the inevitable B/S with the core D/l again.

any help? Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:47:17 AM

Yes, you can make a back up of the block chain data and use that copy if you have problems.

I would solve the corruption problems if I were you though.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
otrkid70 (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 02:03:17 AM

Yes, you can make a back up of the block chain data and use that copy if you have problems.

I would solve the corruption problems if I were you though.

Thanks for the info.  I have lost several wallets because of corrupt files or had to reformat my comp because it's a piece of shit and microsoft sucks. Lost plenty of Alt coins and such on my last Reformat. I had an old copy of my original wallet so just for kicks i tried it out and for some reason it was showing thousands of transactions both sending and receiving literally thousands of BTC and every transaction said Conflict. Needless to say i don't have them lol so i scrapped it and just reinstalled 0.11.0 if the core vere fails me again and i can't use the backup Wallet and blockchain i will never use Core again. My daughter i think is the culprit for that she studies Computer Science and Dabbled with that wallet.

Why o Why have the Devs never come up with a better solution to the Huge Blockchain D/l B/S is beyond me......Think of a new user first installing the core wallet and after a weeks NON stop it's still not finished. there should be a trusted Zip file with Blocks up to at least 1 year ago or less to speed up the process.

There should be a Concrete Chain point/block up to a certain date that would be considered trusted and embedded to avoid all this B/s I understand the Blockchain is for verification but c'mon Blocks from 2009-2013/14 Should be a concrete Zip form.
otrkid70 (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 02:59:39 PM

I opened my wallet just now to keep the wallet currently synched and the wallet address was different and my BTC was gone. I went to my backup Wallet.dat and replaced it with the one that was in the roaming file and now my BTC is back.

What is going on with this?  How can i possibly trust this thing with any amount of BTC when it just replaces my wallet.dat ??

Any explanation for this?
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:17:20 PM

I opened my wallet just now to keep the wallet currently synched and the wallet address was different and my BTC was gone. I went to my backup Wallet.dat and replaced it with the one that was in the roaming file and now my BTC is back.

What is going on with this?  How can i possibly trust this thing with any amount of BTC when it just replaces my wallet.dat ??

The wallet.dat file holds your private keys. If those private keys have bitcoins associated with them and you load the client with access to that wallet.dat, it will show those bitcoins. If you load a fresh wallet.dat or one with no bitcoins associated with the private keys, it will show that you control zero bitcoins.

The block chain may have to be fully synced to see your most recent transactions.

It's pretty straightforward.

If you have a computer that is problematic (hardware or software issues), any number of things could be going wrong.

If you are just swapping wallet.dat files willy nilly without knowing what you are doing, you may run into issues.

Also, I wouldn't store private keys on any computer which is connected to a network.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
otrkid70 (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:34:32 PM

The wallet.dat file holds your private keys. If those private keys have bitcoins associated with them and you load the client with access to that wallet.dat, it will show those bitcoins. If you load a fresh wallet.dat or one with no bitcoins associated with the private keys, it will show that you control zero bitcoins.

The block chain may have to be fully synced to see your most recent transactions.

It's pretty straightforward.

If you have a computer that is problematic (hardware or software issues), any number of things could be going wrong.

If you are just swapping wallet.dat files willy nilly without knowing what you are doing, you may run into issues.

Also, I wouldn't store private keys on any computer which is connected to a network.
I understand what you're saying. I didn't switch the Wallet.dat files until i opened my BTC wallet to keep it synched and instead of me having my BTC it was empty I then looked at the address assigned to the wallet and it was completely different. I then took my Backup Wallet.dat and switched it then re-opened the wallet and the coins were there.   

How did my Wallet address just change?  I did nothing to make it change.  I just opened my wallet nothing more.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: