Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:07:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First post and i am a wreck  (Read 745 times)
Noobiest (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:43:24 AM

I used coinbase and trasferered $5 into my electrum account as a test. Everything worked fine so i sent a semi large $400 deposit and now my electrum says not connected, i am new to bitcoin i found it very interesting and i am love all the new tech stuff. But this is a lot of bitcoin and i haven't the slightest idea how to handle this. Can somebody please lend me a hand i just started learning ubuntu so its linux that i run. Can somebody with expertise walk a noob through this? I am up at 3;30 am stressing this. Ughhh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 08:08:55 AM

Check towards the bottom right, if not connected you should see a red circle/dot there. Click on it and check if 'Auto-connect' is selected. If not then select it and click OK at the bottom.

You can also go through the menu's by going to Tools -> Network.

See if that helps
defcon23
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 08:09:53 AM

I used coinbase and trasferered $5 into my electrum account as a test. Everything worked fine so i sent a semi large $400 deposit and now my electrum says not connected, i am new to bitcoin i found it very interesting and i am love all the new tech stuff. But this is a lot of bitcoin and i haven't the slightest idea how to handle this. Can somebody please lend me a hand i just started learning ubuntu so its linux that i run. Can somebody with expertise walk a noob through this? I am up at 3;30 am stressing this. Ughhh
it's looks like a server issue. have you tried to change of server  in the list? just do it and it should solve your issue.

Kind regards
ca333

Activity: 520
Merit: 522

Developer - EthicHacker - BTC enthusiast

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 09:07:13 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2015, 09:24:48 AM by ca333

Like RustyNomad said this is only a sync (connection) problem. Do not worry.

1. Click on the red dot (eventually its a syncing symbol)

2. Now activate the auto-connect:

You should connect to network now.

regards,
ca333

#EDIT: Enzyme (the poster below) dropped a good clue: ALWAYS SECURE (BACKUP) YOUR PRIVATE-KEYS or the wallet SEED! This is very very important. Best thing is to print out on paper and hide at secret safe place.
In future do this BEFORE you transfer BTC to your wallet. (You can still do it afterwards, even offline, but i recommend to do it at very beginning)

this space is available (free) for humanitarian nonprofit organizations - please contact me
Enzyme

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 09:11:21 AM

Even if you can't connect, this shouldn't be a problem. If all else fails, find out how to extract your private key (or seed) from the client and use it on a stable machine.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 11:03:03 AM

You haven't lost your bitcoins, firstly check your bitcoin address at a block explorer like blockchain.info and it should show that the coins are still there, now if you're on ubuntu and a slower connection Electrum can sometimes take a while to connect, change your servers by clicking on the red dot and selecting a server manually. Restart electrum and it should connect, just leave it running for a while. And turn off the torrents or any other downloads you have running.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:56:57 PM

Maybe you are behind a firewall (corporate network) that does not allow to use all ports.
In this case try to deactivate the auto sync and choose an Electrum server that uses the common 80 or 443 port.

If you are in a hurry to spend the bitcoins you can always export the private key and import it to a blockchain.info wallet.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: