Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:37:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how to bury some bitcoins without even installing the client  (Read 14880 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:10:37 PM

I want to recreate this in PHP using the json-rpc calls.  It looks like everything that is needed is there, except the private key creation.  I'm not sure the ability to create an encrypted private key exists in the bitcoin-php classes.
Code:
Then you generate and encrypt a new private ellyptic curve (replace grondilu by your GPG id):

openssl ecparam -genkey -name secp256k1 |
gpg -ae -r grondilu |
tee wallet.pem.asc
Is it possible to recreate this step in php using the existing bitcoin-php classes?
http://code.gogulski.com/bitcoin-php/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:28:45 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2011, 04:53:36 PM by cypherdoc

grondilu:

would u please comment on the live CD technique being discussed?  it goes as follows:

1.  boot into Ubuntu Live CD
2.  download btc client with new wallet.
3.  copy receiving address and email it to yourself
4.  close client and copy wallet.dat from data directory directly to secure usb stick or cd rom
5.  delete wallet.dat from data directory.
6.  reload copied wallet.dat from usb stick or cd rom back into data directory and reopen client to verify it can be read properly.
7.  once verified, close client and Ubuntu, erasing entire process

i should add #6 is my variation on this theme.  i hope it makes sense in the sense of not leaving any fingerprints.
Bunghole

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:33:48 PM

Wouldn't zipping the wallet file help with ensuring integrity, since zip has CRC error checking?  If the zip archive doesn't give an error when you open it, you can be sure that the wallet file is still intact.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 11:25:26 AM

grondilu:

would u please comment on the live CD technique being discussed?  it goes as follows:

1.  boot into Ubuntu Live CD
2.  download btc client with new wallet.
3.  copy receiving address and email it to yourself
4.  close client and copy wallet.dat from data directory directly to secure usb stick or cd rom
5.  delete wallet.dat from data directory.
6.  reload copied wallet.dat from usb stick or cd rom back into data directory and reopen client to verify it can be read properly.
7.  once verified, close client and Ubuntu, erasing entire process

i should add #6 is my variation on this theme.  i hope it makes sense in the sense of not leaving any fingerprints.

Well, this seems much more complicated than executing my code, which is just a few bash scripts lines.  The longest part is the conversion of the public key into a bitcoin address, but it's not that long.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 02:34:06 PM

As an alternative, you can bury bitcoins by sending them to 1DiPumCD3XTMoEjR4nascMNSCeySoDa6tv

I don't know yet how you can retrieve those bitcoins later.  But it doesn't really matter if you want to save it long term "burrying your bitcoins".  It surely is possible to retrieve them, though.  Possible for me to retrieve them, anyway.  Not you.
Cheesy

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:44:05 PM

grondilu:

would u please comment on the live CD technique being discussed?  it goes as follows:

1.  boot into Ubuntu Live CD
2.  download btc client with new wallet.
3.  copy receiving address and email it to yourself
4.  close client and copy wallet.dat from data directory directly to secure usb stick or cd rom
5.  delete wallet.dat from data directory.
6.  reload copied wallet.dat from usb stick or cd rom back into data directory and reopen client to verify it can be read properly.
7.  once verified, close client and Ubuntu, erasing entire process

i should add #6 is my variation on this theme.  i hope it makes sense in the sense of not leaving any fingerprints.

Well, this seems much more complicated than executing my code, which is just a few bash scripts lines.  The longest part is the conversion of the public key into a bitcoin address, but it's not that long.

you need to learn to think like an avg Joe.  my steps are actually pretty easy and logical from a newbs standpoint.  the bash lines for non Linux users are too foreign and incomprehensible and would scare a newb.
kseistrup

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 08:52:14 AM

How about a bash script that (1) creates a key/address like we learned from the first post, (2) creates a completely empty wallet.dat, and (3) puts the key into that wallet.  Will it blend?

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 09:17:08 AM

you need to learn to think like an avg Joe.
You need to appreciate the incredible elegance of grondilu's solution Smiley

my steps are actually pretty easy and logical from a newbs standpoint.  the bash lines for non Linux users are too foreign and incomprehensible and would scare a newb.
A newb will just copy a wallet to a couple USB sticks. I guess newbs are not the intended audience for this thread.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 11:11:46 AM

you need to learn to think like an avg Joe.  my steps are actually pretty easy and logical from a newbs standpoint.  the bash lines for non Linux users are too foreign and incomprehensible and would scare a newb.
[/quote]

My script is not intended to avg Joe.  At all.  It is really designed to be used by linux nerds.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 12:09:13 PM

It is really designed to be used by linux nerds.
* davout raises hand

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:05:10 PM

Well, this seems much more complicated than executing my code, which is just a few bash scripts lines.  The longest part is the conversion of the public key into a bitcoin address, but it's not that long.

you need to learn to think like an avg Joe.  my steps are actually pretty easy and logical from a newbs standpoint.  the bash lines for non Linux users are too foreign and incomprehensible and would scare a newb.

My script is not intended to avg Joe.  At all.  It is really designed to be used by linux nerds.

even as a non Linuxer (?), i do appreciate your code and i wouldn't be hanging out here bothering you all except for the fact that there are very few quality threads anymore where i respect the guys on them anymore than you.  so i hope you don't mind if i throw in a newb type question in here every now and then since i learn quite a bit. Smiley
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 01:16:02 PM

Bringing this thread back to life to say I've just put together a small ruby script that will :
 - take a PEM file such as the one shown by grondilu
 - process it to extract the bitcoin address
 - process it to extract the EC private key
 - format the private key so it can be imported directly with the "importprivkey" RPC call that should be part of the next versions of the bitcoin client
 - output a nice and fuzzy HTML file containing this data along with a couple of QR codes : (link to the address in the block explorer, private key, address)

The code : https://gist.github.com/1139599

The result looks like this : http://imageshack.us/f/835/capturedcran20110811144.png/

Now my dream can come true : store coins safely and super easily on paper Smiley

kseistrup

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 01:53:32 PM

Cool!

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 10:29:39 PM

Thumps up to grondilu and to davout (the master of this new "bury on liars" technology)

Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 08:17:42 PM

My script is not intended to avg Joe.  At all.  It is really designed to be used by linux nerds.

I ran this on my Windows 7 machine and its works fine until the last step:

$ gpg < wallet.pem.asc |
> openssl ec -pubout |
> publicKeyToAddress

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Boussac (nickname on bitcoin forum)"
2048-bit RSA key, ID 26B8AF92, created 2011-07-02

read EC key
read EC key
bash: xxd: command not found
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 26B8AF92, created 2011-07-02
      "Boussac (nickname on bitcoin forum)"
writing EC key
writing EC key
bash: bc: command not found

I like the simplicity of this bitcoin address but I suspect something fishy with the "command not found" warnings.
Any idea how to get these xxd and bc working Huh

sneak

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 09:31:32 PM

It's not a windows script.  xxd and bc aren't installed on windows by default - try it on a unix box.
Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 08:38:25 AM

I got that part right: I am running Cygwin. But I must be missing one or two packages: which ones ?

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 10:55:51 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2011, 03:15:23 PM by grondilu

I got that part right: I am running Cygwin. But I must be missing one or two packages: which ones ?

You need bc and dc.  They should be available on Cygwin (which is a great project by the way).  Check out the "maths" section.

You also need xxd.  I don't know if it's available on Cygwin but it should.  It's a small programm anyway, so in worst case you can just compile it.

PS.  Après vérif bc et dc sont dispo dans le paquet "bc": http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=bc%2Fbc-1.06-2&grep=dc

Pour xxd je ne l'ai pas trouvé donc je pense que tu dois le compiler ou faire un truc équivalent avec un autre filtre.

Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 01:53:48 PM

Thanks!

I fixed the bc issue.
Now xxd seems like a problem (it's even listed as malware on some sites??). If there is a reliable download for the source I would happily compile it..

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:15:30 PM

Now xxd seems like a problem (it's even listed as malware on some sites??). If there is a reliable download for the source I would happily compile it..

Oh, my bad.   It seems that xxd goes with the Vim editor.  I had no clue.

It might be tedious to get the vim source and extract only the xxd part.  You may not want to install Vim if you are not a vi adept, though.

I guess I should rewrite this script with a more standard hex dumper, such as 'hexdump' or 'od'.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: