Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:04:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 60 years ago today, Emmett Till whistled at a white woman — and he was executed  (Read 1549 times)
newflesh (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 05:28:21 PM

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/60-years-ago-today-emmett-till-whistled-at-a-white-woman-and-he-was-executed-for-it-four-days-later/

Sixty years ago Monday, Emmett Till flirted with a white woman to impress his friends — setting in motion his brutal murder that propelled the civil rights movement into action.

The 14-year-old was visiting relatives in Mississippi when he and some other boys, finished picking cotton, stopped Aug. 24, 1955, outside a country store in Money.

The teen, whose mother called him “Bo,” bragged to the other boys that he had a white girlfriend back home in Chicago — and his friends dared him to speak to the woman working behind the counter.

A 12-year-old cousin briefly went inside but left Emmett alone with the woman — the wife of the store’s owner — for about a minute.

Carolyn Bryant, then 21, claimed Emmett had grabbed her, made lewd comments and wolf-whistled at her as he left the store, but cousin Simeon Wright recalled decades later that couldn’t have been possible.

“I don’t know what he said, but when I was in there, he said nothing to her,” said Wright, now 72. “He didn’t have time, she was behind the counter, so he didn’t put his arms around her or anything like that. While I was in there he said nothing, but after we left the store, we both walked out together, she came outside going to her car. As she was going to her car, he did whistle at her. That’s what scared her so bad. The only thing that I saw him do was that he did whistle.”

The boy, whose mother had warned him about the “Jim Crow” South, understood what he had done after he saw how terrified the other boys were and he begged them not to tell his uncle, Wright said.

Bryant told her husband about the incident when he returned home from a business trip a couple of days later, and Roy Bryant and his brother-in-law, J.W. Milam, went early on Aug. 28, 1955, to the home of Emmett’s great-uncle and kidnapped the boy.

“My mother came in there pleading with them not to take Emmett,” said Wright, who had been sleeping alongside his cousin. “At that point, she offered them money. One of the men, Roy Bryant, he kind of hesitated at the idea, but J.W. Milam — he was a mean guy. He was the guy with the gun and the flashlight, (and) he wouldn’t hear of it. He continued to have Emmett put his clothes on. Then, after Emmett was dressed, they marched him out of the house into a truck that was waiting outside. When they got out to the truck, they asked the person inside the truck, ‘Was this the right boy.’ A lady’s voice responded that it was.”

The pair pistol-whipped Emmett in a tool shed and then forced him to carry a 75-pound cotton-gin fan to the back of the Tallahatchie River, where they ordered him to strip off his clothes.

The men continued beating Emmett, gouged out one of his eyes, shot him in the head and dumped his body — tied to the cotton-gin fan with barbed wire — into the river.

His mutilated body was recovered three days later, and his great-uncle was able to identify his remains only by spotting an initialed ring the boy had worn.

Local authorities tried to quickly bury his body, but Emmett’s mother, Mamie Bradley, requested her son’s remains be sent home to Chicago — where she held an open-casket funeral to show the world what had happened to her son.

“She wanted to world to see what those men had done to her son because no one would have believed it if they didn’t the picture or didn’t see the casket,” Wright recalled. “No one would have believed it — and when they saw what happened, this motivated a lot of people that were standing, what we call ‘on the fence,’ against racism. It encouraged them to get in the fight and do something about it. That’s why many say that that was the beginning of the civil rights era.”

The black weekly Jet magazine published a photo of the boy’s disfigured remains, and other publications picked up the story and reported the murder and the brief trial just two weeks later.

Milam and Bryant were acquitted on murder charges Sept. 23, 1955, after jurors deliberated for less than an hour, explaining that the state had failed to prove the identity of the remains, and the state never indicted them on kidnapping charges.

Look magazine paid Bryant and Milam more than $3,600 for an interview about the case, and the men proudly admitted to killing the boy — who they said deserved death for lascivious behavior toward a white woman.

“What else could we do? He was hopeless,” Milam explained in the interview. “I’m no bully; I never hurt a n****r in my life. I like n****rs — in their place — I know how to work ’em. But I just decided it was time a few people got put on notice. As long as I live and can do anything about it, n****rs are gonna stay in their place.”

“N****rs ain’t gonna vote where I live,” Milam added. “If they did, they’d control the government. They ain’t gonna go to school with my kids. And when a n****r gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he’s tired o’ livin’. I’m likely to kill him. Me and my folks fought for this country, and we got some rights. I stood there in that shed and listened to that n****r throw that poison at me, and I just made up my mind. ‘Chicago boy,’ I said, ‘I’m tired of ’em sending your kind down here to stir up trouble. Goddam you, I’m going to make an example of you — just so everybody can know how me and my folks stand.'”

Milam described how he and his brother-in-law had driven Emmett, who was badly beaten but still defiant, to a steep riverbank — and that’s where the racist white man first felt fear.

“When we got to that (cotton) gin, it was daylight — and I was worried for the first time,” Milam recalled. “Somebody might see us and accuse us of stealing the fan.”

He asked Emmett one more time whether he believed he was as good as a white man, and he said he was, and he asked if he had ever been with a white woman, and he again said he had.

The World War II veteran shot the boy once behind the ear with the .45 he had brought home from the U.S. Army.

Milam and Bryant became pariahs after the interview was published, and each man faced financial trouble for the rest of their lives due to their notoriety.

The boy’s murder came one year after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down “separate but equal” laws as unconstitutional in Brown v. Board of Education — and the acquittal of his killers motivated Rosa Parks to remain seated at the front of a Montgomery, Alabama, bus.

“You know, it’s amazing that he is still relevant,” said Wright in a 2009 interview. “Like I said at the beginning, the reason is because of the jury’s verdict. If the jury’s verdict had come in guilty, Emmett would have been forgotten about. But (Emmett’s story) shows people that if we allow lawlessness to go on, if we do nothing to punish those who break the law, then it’s going to get worse.”

“It’s going to get worse, and we can look back and say, look what happened to Emmett,” Wright continued. “He was murdered for no reason, and those in charge did nothing about it. Wherever you have that, whatever city you have that in, it could be in Washington, it could be in New York, where you have murder and crime going on and the people do nothing about it, it’s going to increase and destroy your society.”

GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:32:45 PM

60 years ago this existed... That is horrifying.
Taking a young boy and capping him with a plan to dump his body.
Goodness, the murderers are still free I guess, I'm speachless. Wow.

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:33:49 PM

and 60 years later some people still don't know their place

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
newflesh (OP)

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 07:54:10 PM

lol I half expected you to chime in, just hope you're trolling and not really a mean ol racist Sad

60 years ago this existed... That is horrifying.
Taking a young boy and capping him with a plan to dump his body.
Goodness, the murderers are still free I guess, I'm speachless. Wow.

Making him carry the fan that would eventually weigh down his own body is fucked up. They were more worried about getting caught stealing the fan than they were killing the kid.
GriffinHeart

Hello there!

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 08:01:58 PM

You thick, uneducated... I'll stop myself here. You should figure out your place.
Do some biology, just a bit of information, us whities mutated because we couldn't get enough sun so our skin melanin broke down.
There is no difference between races, other than social constructs that all of us create for ourselves.
Then again, you don't care. Go suck your brother's cock, you damn inbred!

saddampbuh
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 09:25:59 PM

You thick, uneducated... I'll stop myself here. You should figure out your place.
Do some biology, just a bit of information, us whities mutated because we couldn't get enough sun so our skin melanin broke down.
There is no difference between races, other than social constructs that all of us create for ourselves.

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
GriffinHeart

Hello there!

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:08:17 PM

Hey, snowflake, the best of one culture does not match the best of another, you thick fool.

Same scientifically proven, biologically congruent female human? I think not.

Ignorant.

saddampbuh
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 02:28:47 PM

interesting you pick a "black" girl with 90% aryan features

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:04:26 PM

Study up on it. In general, blacks that don't have any genetic white influence are more emotional but less intelligent than whites. This is on the average. There are plenty of blacks who are of far higher IQ than some of the whites. But in general, this is not so.

A place to look for a lot of info regarding this is in the books and studies listed at http://www.amren.com/archives/.

Yet, what difference does it make? Blacks are people. Often blacks are far better people than whites.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
saddampbuh
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:15:03 PM

Yet, what difference does it make? Blacks are people. Often blacks are far better people than whites.

Smiley
this is the liberal cowardly response

the honest answer is that we must do what is in our own interests and separate ourselves from blacks. average against average blacks are inferior to us and that means having them in our communities will always represent an overall drain on our economies, social services, prison systems, you name it. they aren't all like ben carson and there is nothing we can do to make them like ben carson. if there were some way to keep the ben carsons and remove or sterilise the trayvon martins we could do that. forget humanity (squeamishness) and imagine what an alien race observing earth for the first time would advise us to do.

kevindurant

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:16:05 PM

Sixty years passed, and as you can see racism is still alive.
Schools need to educate kids for living together than science and religion.

Pentax

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 05:33:59 PM

Smiley
this is the liberal cowardly response

the honest answer is that we must do what is in our own interests and separate ourselves from blacks. average against average blacks are inferior to us and that means having them in our communities will always represent an overall drain on our economies, social services, prison systems, you name it. they aren't all like ben carson and there is nothing we can do to make them like ben carson. if there were some way to keep the ben carsons and remove or sterilise the trayvon martins we could do that. forget humanity (squeamishness) and imagine what an alien race observing earth for the first time would advise us to do.

I imagine those aliens would see all humans as a relative drain on their universe.

"Turn that zap-ray on"

NotPoliticallyCorrect

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 09:57:43 AM

snip

That is the best you could find? Some movie zombie or a drug addict?

Here is the ancsestory of the nigger woman you think is good looking -

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles was born in Houston, Texas, to Celestine Ann "Tina" Knowles (née Beyincé), a hairdresser and salon owner, and Mathew Knowles, a Xerox sales manager. Mathew is African-American, while Tina is of Louisiana Creole descent (with African, Native American, French, and 1/32nd Irish ancestry).

The nigger woman owes her looks to American, French and Irish people

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/2/8/6/0/1/2/3/mmm-88185730810.jpeg

Now go back and teach your kids some shitty azz rap nigga, coz thats iz whats their future nigga
pureelite

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 10:52:04 AM

Wow i can belive someone got killed for whistling at a woman,that no justice,but it was 60 years ago and america was a bad field between white and black people
GriffinHeart

Hello there!

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 12:51:15 PM

Racist, uneducated, honestly, I don't care anymore, any "black" is more intelligent than these primitives.

GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:58:22 PM

Racist, uneducated, honestly, I don't care anymore, any "black" is more intelligent than these primitives.

Your location says Africa, are you black by any chance?
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 06:28:06 PM

Often blacks are far better people than whites.

Although I don't agree completely with the comments being made by saddampbuh, I can't approve your comment either. You are accusing saddampbuh of being a racist, and at the same time you are making these sort of racist statements yourself. This has completely drained away your moral high ground, and you and saddampbuh are on the same level now.
GriffinHeart

Hello there!

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 07:27:00 PM

Your location says Africa, are you black by any chance?

Bruh. You can't just ask south africans if they're white. (I am. lmao)

Clegg

Activity: 176

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 07:41:45 PM

interesting you pick a "black" girl with 90% aryan features

Interesting that you pick an aged aboriginal woman to make your point about an entire 'race'.

If you took all the make-up and photoshop probably wouldn't be much difference  Grin. I've also seen that woman on a couple of documentaries. She's probably far smarter than the white girl. What does that say about your 'master race'
saddampbuh
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 08:14:27 PM

Interesting that you pick an aged aboriginal woman to make your point about an entire 'race'.
a photo of any abo woman would make the same point. it'd have to be a purebreed of course, not an 80% white half caste with a suntan.

If you took all the make-up and photoshop probably wouldn't be much difference  Grin. I've also seen that woman on a couple of documentaries. She's probably far smarter than the white girl. What does that say about your 'master race'
it says you must've found the holy grail in a pit of aids infected needles. the average iq of the australian abos is 62.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: