Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:20:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CUSTOM KNC TITAN FIRMWARE! based off KNC's v2.00  (Read 9053 times)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 12:36:46 PM

i just opened my fresh titans, they have firmware 2.02 out of the box, and just bought Your licences, so it wont be problem with upgrade?

I had no problem with the 6 I got from KNC liquidation. They upgraded just fine.

I think you are the 2 guys that got the 10 on 2nd open auction where knc (imho the whale) blew us out of the water. Good catch
by the way if so.

By the By how much of your stuff was built wrong. We (out of 24) are looking at about a 20% error rate on builds.
They were obviously built by temps with lots of issues. Also wrong thermal paste we likely will have to re-do all for that reason
alone. We will use the Maxumark X brackets and copper heatsinks and gelin extreme thermal paste with the Noctura 3000 rpm fans also.

Anyway we had like 7 or 8 come without any thermal pads. Some dc/dc's were burnt out because they 'supposedly' tested
these for 1/2 hour at 400mh. So check it all over good before you run them. Lots of warped heatsinks/blown screws/and the usual
shipping damage.

Anyway the tarky titan stuff took just fine with the licneses I have purchased and maxumark purchased. No issues there.

sent you a pm too

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
supersonic

Activity: 195
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 02:54:28 PM

well after upgrade its not showing asic temps and some die's aint starting, when im switching sd with 2.02 its all working again and its showing temps

Nice from far but far from nice
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:05:44 AM

well after upgrade its not showing asic temps and some die's aint starting, when im switching sd with 2.02 its all working again and its showing temps

Make sure you paid to see adv page imho on tarky Titan stuff. And or reflah also I use class 10 Sandisk 8gb

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 02:01:03 PM

INSTALLATION:
This firmware is easy to install! Once you have purchased and downloaded the file, simply go to SYSTEM -> UPGRADE in webgui. Install it like any other upgrade.
Reboot miner. Installation of my custom KNC titan firmware is now complete! =)

Can I really install this software without having physical access to my titan?

I don't need this to be installed to the sd?

It should be no worse then the KNC 2.02 upgrade this year. The tarky Titan upgrades upgrade the same way.

A catch with that is or any issues I have is with 10 rigs of Titans about every 4 months I have issues but it is always a new SD that fixes it. With one Titan if hosting I'd send 2.02 image on a couple Sandisk 8gb class 10's just to have them physically get you over such a hump. With 1 Titan may be needed 1x a year. So be prepared. Firmware wise never had an issue that was not fixed by a fresh sd card and I got 2.00 as a spare.

GenTarkin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 05:08:23 AM

i just opened my fresh titans, they have firmware 2.02 out of the box, and just bought Your licences, so it wont be problem with upgrade?

My firmware is only officially tested w/ the upgrade path from KNC 2.00 -> my firmware.
Its not been tested w/ knc2.02 installed first, this is largely impractical to do since they didnt even release a full SD card 2.02 image. Nor did they release an upgrade package. In fact, only I have released an upgrade package from KNC 2.00 -> 2.02 changes to work in my custom firmware.
KNC's 2.02 had very little changes to 2.00, I dont see why my firmware couldnt upgarde v2.02 fine.
 Searing are you saying your KNC 2.02 (that came on your new Titans) upgraded to my firmware just fine? If so, great =) That further reinforces that my firmware should upgrade KNC 2.02 just fine.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 10:10:44 AM

My firmware is only officially tested w/ the upgrade path from KNC 2.00 -> my firmware.
Its not been tested w/ knc2.02 installed first, this is largely impractical to do since they didnt even release a full SD card 2.02 image. Nor did they release an upgrade package. In fact, only I have released an upgrade package from KNC 2.00 -> 2.02 changes to work in my custom firmware.
KNC's 2.02 had very little changes to 2.00, I dont see why my firmware couldnt upgarde v2.02 fine.
 Searing are you saying your KNC 2.02 (that came on your new Titans) upgraded to my firmware just fine? If so, great =) That further reinforces that my firmware should upgrade KNC 2.02 just fine.

Yeah the liquidation Titans came with 2.02 and upgraded ok. In my case anyway.

GenTarkin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 02:37:45 PM

Thats good, but now 2 people who got titans from them are claiming my firmware isnt working right with them. Weird.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
GenTarkin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 02:41:04 PM

For anyone having issues w/ KNC 2.02 packaged Titans received from KNC lately. Please email me the logs using the save log button on ADVANCED page. Use the links on my website http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com to email them to me.
Also, it seems to be a pattern of unplugging one cube makes it magically work?? If thats the case, how many cubes are you guys using per controller? Also, what version of my firmware are you trying to use on your Titans.
My older copy of v99e most likely wont work, because it overwrites a lot of stuff thats in knc2.02 w/ older files. The newer version of my firmware 1.0.4 should work as shown by Searings experience.
So, if you are using my older firmware ... it will be time to upgrade or stay stuck on stock KNC 2.02

supersonic

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 03:52:48 PM

For anyone having issues w/ KNC 2.02 packaged Titans received from KNC lately. Please email me the logs using the save log button on ADVANCED page. Use the links on my website http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com to email them to me.
Also, it seems to be a pattern of unplugging one cube makes it magically work?? If thats the case, how many cubes are you guys using per controller? Also, what version of my firmware are you trying to use on your Titans.
My older copy of v99e most likely wont work, because it overwrites a lot of stuff thats in knc2.02 w/ older files. The newer version of my firmware 1.0.4 should work as shown by Searings experience.
So, if you are using my older firmware ... it will be time to upgrade or stay stuck on stock KNC 2.02
PM sent

GenTarkin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 05:09:13 AM

I have yet to receive emails w/ log files from either of you guys but I have received several PM's ... the first clue as to what may be going on is in those log files. Like I stated earlier, these can be obtained from the Logs button in ADVANCED page. Then go to my site then CONTACT then send the log to either of those email links.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 05:33:37 AM by Searing

Not up to speed on this yet. We have other controllers on the new stuff..but we do have a couple controllers? on the new titans that are only stable with 4 cubes you go to 5 and as
you state above it then works fine and stable.

We have not bugged you with any of this yet in that we are still getting the 20% damaged and/or run in burn test w/o thermal pads (25+ dies down mainly die #2) ..fun stuff like that

Good thing we knew KNC was evil and bid accordingly in that respect.....thus we are still ok ...but annoying to see new stuff built wrong or busted in shipping.

But anyway ...we have a couple that only work with 4 cubes and this is after the upgrade to gen tarkin stuff...so likely a hardware issue..but the above quote asked...

Thats good, but now 2 people who got titans from them are claiming my firmware isnt working right with them. Weird.

On second thought we have some units that only seem to work on standard 2.02 with full out voltage of -0.366 standard setting ...anyway that stays stable that is
but we were gonna wait to ask you about such in still tweaking...but likely it is due to the 'toasty critters' aspect of these liguidation titans ..we had 7 units I think it was
without thermal pads ..but RUN 400mh for testing for 1/2 hr according to the sheet tossed in the box. ie.....all of die #2's are dead is the result on most.

So likely they are borderline working kinda sorta clocked down etc on 2.02 but the tarky titan probably considers them 'lost cause' etc...

So anyway they likely are NOT incorrect on this...the 2nd batch auctions we got blown out of when they made them 'open bid' ..ie see the bids....(whale crushed we were)

Someone who got 10 titans said ALL 50 CUBES came w/o thermal pads...if they were tested as ours were at 400mh because they missed such ...could be a whole

rats nest of issues ..just saying.....but again have not really got to this yet...when we gleaned it down we were gonna show you stuff/logs for perhaps some tweaking of
yoru 1.0.4 stuff....(more likely you would laugh and say .its as good as it gets)

Anyway ..the folk likely if ALL their stuff had no themal pads...could very well have such borderline dies ..that work kinda sorta stable full out at -0.366 but do not like
the tarky titan eff mode and such

anyway tossing it out there till we get more of this nailed down

GenTarkin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

One thing you guys could try is setting the Titan to factory defaults on SYSTEM TAB and ADVANCED TAB after upgrading to my firmware when using more than 4 cubes on the controllers. Perhaps theres some configuration bug somewhere. But my firmware works fine w/ pre 2.02 builds and more than 4 cubes so not sure what the cause of the issue is.
Like I stated, its likely theres something far different in KNC's stock 2.02 firmware thats not on their github version of it and my firmware is overwriting it. If thats the case and everyone upgrades (meaning theres no stock image left) then I cant start anywhere w/ fixing it.
Have you guys looked at controller or bridge boards and see if they have different versions between the old Titans and new(old stock) ones you guys got??
Also, their knc2.02 linux version may be different and that adds another variable as well.
I still have yet to receive log files from anyone.

supersonic

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 02:50:40 PM

One thing you guys could try is setting the Titan to factory defaults on SYSTEM TAB and ADVANCED TAB after upgrading to my firmware when using more than 4 cubes on the controllers. Perhaps theres some configuration bug somewhere. But my firmware works fine w/ pre 2.02 builds and more than 4 cubes so not sure what the cause of the issue is.
Like I stated, its likely theres something far different in KNC's stock 2.02 firmware thats not on their github version of it and my firmware is overwriting it. If thats the case and everyone upgrades (meaning theres no stock image left) then I cant start anywhere w/ fixing it.
Have you guys looked at controller or bridge boards and see if they have different versions between the old Titans and new(old stock) ones you guys got??
Also, their knc2.02 linux version may be different and that adds another variable as well.
Got so little time as im working dayshift, i will try to do as much as i can today, and send You logs. If You want i can make img of this stock 2.02 and put it somewhere for You.

GenTarkin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 09:16:23 PM

POLL:
Based off of ... I believe lightfoot's recommendation ...
For my next release, who would find a "cable / connector life saver" option valuable?
Basically it would be an algorithm to guestimate how much power is being drawn through each PSU cable assuming the Y connector & 2 PSU cables are present, per cube.
The algo would then take into account current draw per DCDC & overall watts & possibly even temps guestimated by the cube and then drop the clocks down until the power usage would be below 140-150w per cable coming off the cube.
This would of course make the Titan slower but far less risk of burning cables.

I really dont know how valuable such an option will ultimately be, because I know most miners just want to push these things as hard as they will go and when stuff does burn up, just replace and move on.
So, may be a lot of work for nothing really. But its an interesting idea =P

Very interesting indeed

I would find this "cable / connector life saver" option valuable.

Is this planned in your next release?

I never did code this up because of way to many variables that can cause cable burn that i cant account for in code. Also,  no matter how u dice it up, the single pcie connector on cube board is responsible for way to much current, it could burn under any circumstance where heat is high enough.  To keep that within spec these titans would have to run at near half speed and noone wants that. 

GenTarkin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 09:18:58 PM

Got so little time as im working dayshift, i will try to do as much as i can today, and send You logs. If You want i can make img of this stock 2.02 and put it somewhere for You.
what u could do is start w/ making an archive of the /home/pi folder. And i can do a code compare.  Then u can make a complete .bin image of the stock 2.02 and send it to me via btsync(ill pm u info) later when i get a chance.  May be a day or so.

GenTarkin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 05:37:17 AM

I see KNC actually posted a .bin upgrade file now. After comparing differences between 2.00 and 2.02, looks like the changes are accurate against their github source ... so Im confused as to why its not working for you guys.
My firmware 1.0.4 doesnt overwrite any files which are different from 2.00 to 2.02 so everything should work exactly the same.
Let me ask, did you guys use my bfgminer5.4.2 upgrade patch?Huh BECAUSE that *could* cause issues ... bfgminer 5.4.2 is already part of 2.02 so, u wouldnt need to install my patch for bfgminer5.4.2/v2.02 changes

If indeed you did install my patch, I would say ... try the 5.4.2 uninstaller(not sure what affect this will have on 2.02 firmware) so... if that doesnt work correctly, then reimage back to knc 2.02 from another pi which as the image on it OR if you dont have the original knc2.02 handy then.... You can flash full 2.00 image to sd card, then knc2.02, then my firmware(but not my bfg542 patch) ... see if it works then.
If not, then the last step would be to flash full 2.00 image, install my firmware, then install my bfgminer542 patch(which brings it up to knc2.02 as well) ... that should work .. 98% certain =)

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 07:27:23 AM

I see KNC actually posted a .bin upgrade file now. After comparing differences between 2.00 and 2.02, looks like the changes are accurate against their github source ... so Im confused as to why its not working for you guys.
My firmware 1.0.4 doesnt overwrite any files which are different from 2.00 to 2.02 so everything should work exactly the same.
Let me ask, did you guys use my bfgminer5.4.2 upgrade patch?Huh BECAUSE that *could* cause issues ... bfgminer 5.4.2 is already part of 2.02 so, u wouldnt need to install my patch for bfgminer5.4.2/v2.02 changes

If indeed you did install my patch, I would say ... try the 5.4.2 uninstaller(not sure what affect this will have on 2.02 firmware) so... if that doesnt work correctly, then reimage back to knc 2.02 from another pi which as the image on it OR if you dont have the original knc2.02 handy then.... You can flash full 2.00 image to sd card, then knc2.02, then my firmware(but not my bfg542 patch) ... see if it works then.
If not, then the last step would be to flash full 2.00 image, install my firmware, then install my bfgminer542 patch(which brings it up to knc2.02 as well) ... that should work .. 98% certain =)

I had to do the quote above

start quote

If not, then the last step would be to flash full 2.00 image, install my firmware, then install my bfgminer542 patch(which brings it up to knc2.02 as well) ... that should work ..

end quote

On 1 of my new 2.02 arrived Liquidation Titan 400mh units. Also, note that the board on the cubes has been 'redesigned' from the old previous Titans (all of 1st batch and some
of or most of imho 2nd batch)...the most obvious example is 3 small capacitors to replace the one large capacitor....also imho the dc/dc's seem odd ..not as 'robust' not
sure what that is about.....the coating on them seems somewhat flimsy...so anyway not sure if this re-design has any input on above

Anyway, the method of a replacement SD for the crummy NO SD that came with this unit and probably most of  the others required a complete re-do. I did just upgrade
the SD that came with the other unit here and it seems to work ok...but the other 4 I have in the hosting place with maxumark I don't thing came with an SD so it
probably was a complete 'make an SD' project like was done in the above quote

Maybe this is all a given and I don't need to clarify..but just in case....because of the need to make SD's... I use Sandisk 8gb Class 10 only..

Just to clarify my previous post...only 1 unit came with an SD card that had  2.02 on it at my end (2 at home other 4 at server farm) thus most of our stuff imho
was done in the above quoted manner above..using new Sandisk 8gb Sandisk Class 10 SD cards.....from scratch

anyway my 2c worth

supersonic

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 09:03:30 AM

after i tried couple things i was able to run 5 cubes on one titan. I flashed sd with factory 2.0 then i upgraded to 1.0.4tarkin and restored to factory settings if i remember correctly otherwise it had problems with starting all die's and fell in the restart loop. Upgrading bfgminer occured some problems so i didnt do it this time. I was wrong when i thought that 5.4.2 fixes the asic temp missing.
I will try further with other units. Meanwhile probably one of my 2000BB burned/overheated while running 5 cubes.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 09:31:03 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2016, 09:59:49 AM by Searing

after i tried couple things i was able to run 5 cubes on one titan. I flashed sd with factory 2.0 then i upgraded to 1.0.4tarkin and restored to factory settings if i remember correctly otherwise it had problems with starting all die's and fell in the restart loop. Upgrading bfgminer occured some problems so i didnt do it this time. I was wrong when i thought that 5.4.2 fixes the asic temp missing.
I will try further with other units. Meanwhile probably one of my 2000BB burned/overheated while running 5 cubes.

So you did not run the 5.43 bfgminer upgrade?

Also for what it is worth I suddenly have a controller (not the new titan ones) only like 4 cubes.....it previously did not like me trying to use the LCD slot but took the LCD back
and now the port next to the LCD (port 2) it now also does not seem to like any added cube....but the 4 cubes are stable with tarky titan etc

out of the 24 new units we have we have at least 2 I think that will not take more then 4 cubes.....not sure ...but may be an issue that just kinda crops up over time

not sure if this helps anyone but I'd not be to distressed if this happens ...the controller doing this is exactly 2 years old now and has been run 24/7 since

on a side note you said all of your 50 cubes on the 2nd liguidation auction of 160 new Titan 400mh 5 cubes last month came without thermal pads...you seem to have
lucked out in they also (being knc and evil why pay the temp workers to test all 160 units in that their clause said as is) ...so w/o thermal pads and tested (in our
1st 24 we one on the only closed bid auction) most cubes have 1 dc/dc shot (lightfoot......are you reading this hint hint) ..anyway so our average is 263mh for the
24 units (of which I have 6)....so thus the fact you have no *usually die 2 is dead) burnt dc/dc's due to 400mh testing for 1/2 hour w/o thermal pads for some of
our stuff (probably 1/3..thou I have found burnt dc/dc's after the fact under thermal pads I modded)

Anyway ...consider yourself lucky by them trying their usual evil knc save a buck tricks....you probably are golden ....but I'd repaste for sure (the paste job is really
bad...and not enough and wrong paste...I use gelin extreme works great) get the maxumark brackets (probably less then 10 bucks at your volume rate for 50 cubes) and
get the dc/dc heatsinks if you are not using them already...stay away from thermal pad method...i'd also get the 3000 rpm Noctura fan (27 bucks on newegg) it is great
dumped 10c to 15c off my dies ..all cubes running much cooler in the basement than in the winter last year at 60F in the basement.

But in reality we are mucking thru are stuff the most scary is the crummy thermal paste and not enough on the dies...but with the crummy thermal paste they used
it already looks kinda flakey when you do a re-do in that they did not use enough...so its a time bomb imho.....gonna suck ...but have to do it.....at least our price
of 1900 with shipping reflected our view that it would be temp workers and junk with bad shipping etc...did not expect the other batches to miss thermal pads thou
on all units...but we priced them as if they would come as 300mh units due to RMA parts ..and yes they said our 24 units were new but probably 20% is used parts
esp fans from what I saw....or hell they were run in a data hall as we suspect and knc was the whale that crushed us on getting out of the 215 units of about 175
or some such...

anyway the real issue with die flakeyness is gonna be the wrong thin thermal paste they used and the small amounts used...we have some time but imho that is
somthing a person should be most concerned with and fix..then again once you are down that rabbit hole imho you may as well go whole hog and fix the works
with the Noctura 3000 rpm fan www.newegg.com at 27 bucks and free shipping (they take BTC) and heatinks self stick 8 to a packet on ebay at
19.95 and gelin extrme paste at 20 bucks per 10oz. ..also on ebay...and the maxumark brackets at a bit below in volume of 10 bucks if i count 3 bucks a cube to thermal paste
then looking at about 60 bucks a cube to do the works right. MY view is knc being evil and all and the crummy damage of temp screws and taco'd boards ..little
thermal paste..burnt dc/dc's once a cube is done to the above specs..it is all a matter of FATE at that point...Also my original Titan and those in the fist batch
from Nov 2014 ...MOST of the folks on forums lost their dies and had issues the first couple months...so we will likely lose some dies at the front end..then mostly
from then on your titans should be more or less ok. Me I just am gonna do all I can on the mods for each cube and thermal paste asap so when stuff starts to go
(it will it is evil knc stuff) then I can say I did all I could at the front end and it is just fate and out of my hands at that point

anyway you are in a good postion your stuff was not tested so count it as a win even with the cube per controller issues.....it is damn tough to look at their
new re-designed cube board and see it all new an pretty and a dc/dc (usually die #2) that looks like a charcol brick Sad

Anyway consider that you ducked a bullet...with the non-testing imho and predictable burn out w/o thermal pads of the dc/dc's that they SAID they tested in your case
at 400mh for 1/2 hour and evidently did not...so count it as a win imho......

later

supersonic

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 10:18:59 AM

oh they did test them believe me to each unit they put print from test, and yes the dc/dc from die 2 mostly run hotter and look in some cases worse than others. I already replaced thermal paste on all of my units that was first of my steps, then i made my own brackets and installed radiators on each dc/dc. Altho all my units seem to be assembled out of "new" parts, including fans, boards and all. I got only one cube that was running much hotter than others (over 80degrees) but repasting, sinks and noctua cooled it enough. If i wont be able to run 5 cubes per controller i will eventually give up and start looking for additional controllers to buy and run the rest of cubes. So far i got 6 cubes remaining to redo all of upgrades due to lack of time

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: