Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:30:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IRC/Bitcointalk spoof text / impersonator scam report.  (Read 1572 times)
xetsr
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:40:13 AM

Ok we spoke and figured out hat happened here...

He got scammed by the fake Blazed and I got tricked into saying he was talking to me here.

Shit happened to me when I was new to bitcoin. It's a VERY clever scam... wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person :\

I was new so never asked for a signed message and the scammer impersonated both me and Maidak (who was very trustworthy at the time) over skype which ended in the real Maidak confirming he was talking to me on skype, which he was not and me sending the scammer around $100 in BTC.

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
statdude (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:41:12 AM

Blaze gave me 1 BTC to help offset a loss by an impersonator. I really appreciate this kindness. Warning to traders on IRC: COPY PASTE the username you are speaking to notepad, as the characters can be spoofed in IRC to look real when they are not. Also: Always confirm the username of people you are talking to in IRC is correct through an outside source.

To mods: if you allow me to leave trust for Blaze I'd like to leave positive trust and this message on his profile. Thanks.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 01:48:13 AM

Here is how this scam worked and why I fell for it...

- "Trader" sends me a message on IRC saying he had been scammed by me or someone posing as me (Trader was actually the scammer not statdude)

- The fake Blazedout (i not L) has the real statdude send me a message on forum to prove it is me. That is where statdude messed up

- I already thought the scam had happened and he was verifying he was talking to me - he had not been scammed yet (had never even spoke with me).

- I reply to statdude on forum and say "yes it is me" - that is where I messed up - I thought he was asking if were we talking that moment on IRC (I assumed trader = statdude as people often have diff nicks for irc/forums)

- statdude gets scammed via the fake Biazedout419

- Then we figured it out via IRC

One thing is for sure...I will never fall for that shit again!

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:24:52 AM

Ok we spoke and figured out hat happened here...

He got scammed by the fake Blazed and I got tricked into saying he was talking to me here.

Shit happened to me when I was new to bitcoin. It's a VERY clever scam... wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person :\

I was new so never asked for a signed message and the scammer impersonated both me and Maidak (who was very trustworthy at the time) over skype which ended in the real Maidak confirming he was talking to me on skype, which he was not and me sending the scammer around $100 in BTC.
This is interesting. Was the deal for some larger amount or was $100 the entire amount? These types of scams are very easy to fake both by the victim and the person being impersonated (I am not saying that either was the case in your situation nor in the OP's situation, although the timing would be much easier if one side was faking).
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 10:43:04 PM

Thanks for exposing this.  I learned something new today.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: