Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:44:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you ever attended a bitcoin meetup?  (Read 3303 times)
Huobi-USD (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 07:55:16 AM

Have you guys ever attended any bitcoin meetup? What do you usually discuss about?

Huobi Secure and Trustworthy!
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 08:37:24 AM

Yes. I recently helped organize our first meetup in my city in southern Spain. Since it was only our first meetup we mostly introduced ourselves and got to know everyone's journey into Bitcoin (and crypto in general). The group was small, but very diverse - just like the Bitcoin community.

guddu raj

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 08:58:57 AM

yes, i have attended meetup.
discusion About bitcoin how to earn bitcoin and how to use bitcoin some thing like this.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 09:18:29 AM

Never been to an actual meetup but I've been in a skype conference call about bitcoin for many times now. As of this moment, we're planning to hold one on the 15th of September, but I'm not sure whether it will take place or not because some of the prominent members of our group do have some affairs at that time.

llwandy

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 09:31:06 AM

Have you guys ever attended any bitcoin meetup? What do you usually discuss about?
No, I haven't and will not.
astrobitcoin

Activity: 134

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 12:57:59 PM

yes, once in europe. never again

it was a room infested with damn wannabe yuppies. i wish was more underground / hackish / fuck the system
ashour

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:00:45 PM

I wasn't in a bitcoin meetup yet. But I was once in room 77 in Berlin, chill place and few bitcoin folks there. I wished there were bigger bitcoin meetups/conferences in Germany.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:10:32 PM

It is not so easy, BTC users are from all the world, how can they meet ? Mostly from USA, by the way  Grin
investspot

Activity: 182

Love me love my Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 01:13:13 PM

It is not so easy, BTC users are from all the world, how can they meet ? Mostly from USA, by the way  Grin

Agreed.
ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:14:29 PM

I've been to a couple of meet ups here in Melbourne. Didn't really talk about anything though because both were for bitcoin documentary launches. I had a good time.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:15:30 PM

If you don't live in bigger cities like London, Paris, New York, these meet-ups are waste of time in my opinion. You can't have big and quality speakers, so this means nobody will come from the audience.

I have never been in one such event. There are none close to where I live. And I would only wanna go to the major ones anyways.
ashour

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:15:36 PM

You can organize a  meetup on meetup.com. But the difficult part is to find a location to host the actually meetup, you may need some money to buy food and drinks and other important stuff for a meetup.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:24:22 PM

If you don't live in bigger cities like London, Paris, New York, these meet-ups are waste of time in my opinion. You can't have big and quality speakers, so this means nobody will come from the audience.

I have never been in one such event. There are none close to where I live. And I would only wanna go to the major ones anyways.

I don't disagree, but they aren't a complete waste of time. Linking up with other Bitcoiners in your area is good for local trading among other things.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 01:33:24 PM

Not only have I been to a couple meetup in my area I volunteered to be a speaker at an upcoming Denver meetup and I just joined the new Boulder area meetup.

Colorado Bitcoin Society Monthly Meetup
Monday, September 14, 2015
6:00 PM
Southern Hospitality, 1433 17th Street, Denver
Colorado Bitcoin Society

My full speaking schedule is here:

http://www.burtw.com/speaking-schedule--new-.html

BurtW will talk about his experience of being investigated and tracked for 18 months, indicted by a grand jury, arrested, charged with a Federal felony, and thrown into solitary confinement all over simply trading Bitcoins on localbitcoins.com.

He will also discuss the nine months of legal negotiations that led to the charges finally being dropped and the return of most of the property seized in the raid on his home and corporate offices.

We expect the talk to lead into an extensive question and answer session and the discussion of the subjects:  Bitcoins, localbitcoins.com, law enforcement tactics, the law, licenses, civil asset forfeiture, the prison system, the justice system, homeland security, the patriot act, surveillance, etc.  All of which happened to him personally.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
aakashsangwan

Activity: 994

PUGG.io

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 02:58:02 PM

Nope, but I would love to go to one.
But I doubt that in my country, the meet ups happen or not. BTW I'm from India.
Don't think that meet ups happen here because in my friend circle, only one person knows about Bitcoin, so it's a long way to go.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 04:08:58 PM

Nope, but I would love to go to one.
But I doubt that in my country, the meet ups happen or not. BTW I'm from India.
Don't think that meet ups happen here because in my friend circle, only one person knows about Bitcoin, so it's a long way to go.

http://www.meetup.com/IndiaBitcoin/

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 09:11:58 PM

Yes, I went to one meetup. It wasn't very interesting, though. There were some people very supportive of BTC in the assistance, but the speaker was much more of a critic. I still think of meetups as a good idea, they're certainly useful, but don't go there as I did only because it's a BTC meetup. Check what will be the subject(s), and who will speak.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 11:32:47 PM

No and I don't think I would. Every time adults gather around a common interest things tend to get a bit weird.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 11:45:08 PM

I did not, its too much hastle. Bitcoin "live" in internet, we can discuss it and collaborate in internet only Smiley.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 12:25:17 AM

I haven't yet because the nearest ones are 6 hrs away by bus and ferry. I believe there was one in my town year or two ago but had dissapointing turn out.
My town has pretentions as a tech hub but it's also got a hippy tradition, so while there are a good number of tech savvy people here they still manage to be anti-technocracy. Microsoft came and opened a hub here a few years ago and wound up shuttering the operation inside 6 months. You can't force tech hub on a place, you just have to find where the hub already is and then go there.
That place is 6 hours away.
That said, I occasionally visit that city. I'm on their mailing list. They have regular monthly meet ups and they always look pretty cool. There is a lot of btc activity and interest there.
I intend to try and attend next time I visit. The bitcoiners I have met in my town are so apathetic, it would be nice to meet some enthusiastic bitcoiners for a change
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: