Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:36:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying first Bitcoin in 2015, still extremely frustrating..  (Read 2105 times)
frenulum (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 12:59:36 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2015, 08:04:42 PM by frenulum

Having tried and failed to buy Bitcoin a couple of years ago, I decided to have another look recently, in the hopes that things had gotten more user friendly. I've tried to buy bitcoins on different services over the last couple of days and I'm about ready to give up.

I tried linking my VISA card to my new Circle account and it keeps giving me an error message about my address, even the main support page is giving an error message  Huh

I tried signing up with Coinbase. I verified my phone ... I uploaded a scan of my Passport .. and still ... I get a page with some bank details and NO INSTRUCTIONS other than the words "SEPA TRANSFER". It's not clear how much I'm supposed to deposit, and how, and either way, I've never made a SEPA transfer in my life, and apparently my local online banking system doesn't support it.

I signed up with bitcoin.de and went through the usual steps. This time, they sent a small payment to my bank account, and I'm supposed to be verifying with an 8 digit code that begins with "a" and ends with "z" ... but such reference is nowhere to be seen on my Bank Statement.

Desperate, I managed to buy bitcoin via Paypal>Linden>BC through Virwox, turning 10 euro into less than 7 euro worth of Bitcoin.... F M L  

If Bitcoin is ever to be widely adopted it surely must become easier to get involved. I have Paypal & Credit Card sitting here, ready to BUY ... and have hit roadblock after roadblock everywhere I've tried.

Can anyone help me? Is there somewhere out there with a straightforward signup process?

EDIT - Update..
I was eventually able to locate the reference number in my banking system and have now been verified with bitcoin.de, but it still seems I can only purchase Bitcoin via SEPA on that site.

I tried more services.....
My worst experience was with CEX.IO, who's verification process was the most patronising, invasive, complex, and strict.

Circle.com website had missing pages with weird redirects, and came back with too many errors when entering my credit card information.

My experience with KRAKEN has so far been OK, though it seems they will only accept payment via SEPA or WIRE TRANSFER, and even when verified, I cannot top up my account via Paypal or Credit Card.

I was able to fairly quickly buy Bitcoin from Coin Mama with my credit card, though they charged 10 dollars for me to buy 40 dollars of coin :/
https://www.coinmama.com/

Jan 2018 recommendations: HST, ETN, HTML, EOS
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:14:45 PM

Having tried and failed to buy Bitcoin a couple of years ago, I decided to have another look recently, in the hopes that things had gotten more user friendly. I've tried to buy bitcoins on different services over the last couple of days and I'm about ready to give up.

I tried linking my VISA card to my new Circle account and it keeps giving me an error message about my address, even the main support page is giving an error message  Huh

I tried signing up with Coinbase. I verified my phone ... I uploaded a scan of my Passport .. and still ... I get a page with some bank details and NO INSTRUCTIONS other than the words "SEPA TRANSFER". It's not clear how much I'm supposed to deposit, and how, and either way, I've never made a SEPA transfer in my life, and apparently my local online banking system doesn't support it.

I signed up with bitcoin.de and went through the usual steps. This time, they sent a small payment to my bank account, and I'm supposed to be verifying with an 8 digit code that begins with "a" and ends with "z" ... but such reference is nowhere to be seen on my Bank Statement.

Desperate, I managed to buy bitcoin via Paypal>Linden>BC through Virwox, turning 10 euro into less than 7 euro worth of Bitcoin.... F M L 

If Bitcoin is ever to be widely adopted it surely must become easier to get involved. I have Paypal & Credit Card sitting here, ready to BUY ... and have hit roadblock after roadblock everywhere I've tried.

Can anyone help me? Is there somewhere out there with a straightforward signup process?

What country are you from?  You will find your country greatly influences what exchange you should use.

Once you get one working it's as easy as switching sending money to bank account, then from there buy btc.  But you have to find proper exchange for you.
frenulum (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:41:15 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2015, 03:55:11 PM by frenulum

Thanks for the reply. I'm from Ireland. Most online entities bundle us in with UK.

I've been looking into Kraken and Cex.io today. Both are processing my application at the moment.
Cex.io wanted a scan of my passport, a photo of me holding my passport, and a scan of a recent bill!

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 01:45:59 PM

it's super easy through bitcoin.de or even ccedk.com to buy bitcoin via SEPA. try ccedk if you can't use bitcoin.de

good luck Cheesy

coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:51:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm from Ireland. Most online entities bundle us in with UK.

I've been looking into Kraken and Cex.io today. Both are processing my application at the moment.
Cex.io wanted a scan of my passport, a photo of me holding my passport, and a scan of a recent bill!

+1 for Kraken, SEPA transfers to them are usually processed within a day. CEX.io accepts direct credit card buying of bitcoin, but I personally cannot recommend them for I myself do not trust them and their markets are not quite as liquid.

frenulum (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 02:52:57 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2015, 03:56:41 PM by frenulum

CEX.IO
Your identity document was rejected because: Low quality
Your selfie was rejected because: Low-quality photo
Your proof of residency document was rejected because: Other
I'm done with them  Roll Eyes

coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:04:34 PM

Worth mentioning Bittylicious (https://bittylicious.com/) they've been around for a while and work primarily with UK customers from what I know. They might charge a little premium on the price for providing their service though.

thienvamai

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 03:29:33 PM

Did you try this: wesellcrypto.com
I bought some LTC from this site.
Payment process is very fast.
It also sells BTC.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:41:50 PM

Yea forget about circle in your case.  Sadly exchanges because of laws are very based on country and even to state level in some cases.

Focusing on one that works better with your region will do a world of differences.  You will be buying easy and fast once it is set up with a good exchange there.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:43:13 PM

I think there is an ATM in Dublin but it is the only one.  I would also suggest Bitylicious, they accept faster payments and I am pretty sure they operate in a few EU countries, it is a lot easier than what you seem to have just gone through especially for the value of €10, there is always a charge but you don't mind a little charge if it is a smooth process.
newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:54:50 PM

I think there is an ATM in Dublin but it is the only one.  I would also suggest Bitylicious, they accept faster payments and I am pretty sure they operate in a few EU countries, it is a lot easier than what you seem to have just gone through especially for the value of €10, there is always a charge but you don't mind a little charge if it is a smooth process.

Yeah there is a Bitcoin ATM in Dublin City:

GSMsolutions,
6-7 Upper Abbey Street,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

http://bitcoin-atm.ie/

Failing that I'd recommend using Localbitcoins.
frenulum (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 04:08:24 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I'm calming down!  Tongue
Just a little update.

I was able to find the reference for bitcoin.de when I dived a bit deeper into my online banking system, so (credit where it's due) I was able to get verified with bitcoin.de without jumping through too many hoops. It seems much easier to accept a payment with a reference number than to make a SEPA transfer, at least with my local banking service (AIB, who require me to purchase a card reader to make a SEPA transfer) so props to bitcoin.de for their verification process

coinpr0n Thanks for the recommendation of bittylicious. I'll be sure to check it out.
https://bittylicious.com/
Approx 3% cut for them for the convenience of using credit card, isn't too unreasonable.

Tiggy/newflesh
I'll be sure to check out that local ATM next time I'm in the city.

notlist3d
Circle  website was a mess, but they did respond to my support ticket quickly and succinctly.

But right now for me anyway, bitcoin.de is way out ahead

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 04:35:09 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I'm calming down!  Tongue
Just a little update.

I was able to find the reference for bitcoin.de when I dived a bit deeper into my online banking system, so (credit where it's due) I was able to get verified with bitcoin.de without jumping through too many hoops. It seems much easier to accept a payment with a reference number than to make a SEPA transfer, at least with my local banking service (AIB, who require me to purchase a card reader to make a SEPA transfer) so props to bitcoin.de for their verification process

coinpr0n Thanks for the recommendation of bittylicious. I'll be sure to check it out.
https://bittylicious.com/
Approx 3% cut for them for the convenience of using credit card, isn't too unreasonable.

Tiggy/newflesh
I'll be sure to check out that local ATM next time I'm in the city.

notlist3d
Circle  website was a mess, but they did respond to my support ticket quickly and succinctly.

But right now for me anyway, bitcoin.de is way out ahead

So have you purchased your bitcoins now? Bitcoin atm's are the way to go if these services don't satisfy your needs. Smiley Also there is still LocalBitcoins that you can try.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 04:45:51 PM

Circle, Kraken, Coinbase are okay but dont use Virwox.

you can also buy BTC at ebay - that should be easy for you.

frenulum (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 04:57:37 PM

So have you purchased your bitcoins now? Bitcoin atm's are the way to go if these services don't satisfy your needs. Smiley Also there is still LocalBitcoins that you can try.

No. Got verified on bitcoin.de and they still require SEPA TRANSFER for payments. My local online banking system doesn't support SEPA transactions, so apparently I need to order a Card Reader from them, which seems utterly absurd.

And it looks like Bittylicious require lots of personal information, just to buy Bitcoin at an exaggerated price via credit card.. no thanks

I'm gonna have to hit the ATM, reluctantly.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 05:58:15 PM

No. Got verified on bitcoin.de and they still require SEPA TRANSFER for payments. My local online banking system doesn't support SEPA transactions, so apparently I need to order a Card Reader from them, which seems utterly absurd.

And it looks like Bittylicious require lots of personal information, just to buy Bitcoin at an exaggerated price via credit card.. no thanks

I'm gonna have to hit the ATM, reluctantly.

The bitcoin ATM in your place is the best way to go if that's the case. Due to different regulations and such, exchanges have required their users to submit more personal information and identification for verification purposes in case something happens. Good thing there are no such thing as bitcoin regulation here in our country.
Winalunt

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

Tell Me What A Man Is Without Pride .

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 07:34:24 PM

i dont think it would have been that frustrating if only you woulda tried localbitcoins.com,
i usually try that one for selling or buying as no details required normally.
amacar1

Activity: 707
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 08:03:20 PM

As you find out, kraken is a way to go. Using SEPA payments and withdraws are usually done within 24 hours.
develCuy

Activity: 470
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 08:11:23 PM

I'll be a bit off-topic but hope you get my advice.

My way to deal with bitcoin is to earn them. I do not convert fiat to bitcoin, just the reverse and only when needed. Not sure if you have it clear but bitcoin is an asset that for some weird reason people want to use as currency.

A safer way to play with cryptocurrencies is altcoins, give DGC, DVC, XRM and the likes a try. Once you earned enough you can trade your altcoins for bitcoin and perhaps to fiat.

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 09:25:36 PM

I see that you guys have mentioned nearly all methods and exchanges above except localbitcoins.com.
Why not try with them? You might even find someone to sell you in person which is the easiest way. Try registering and giving it a try. I consider myself a Bitcoin veteran and all Bitcoin that I ever bought came through localbitcoins for me. I never sent any document in my life or scan to anybody.

I am using Kraken though when I need to sell fast.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: