Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 02:51:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts On Paper Wallet Storage For Long Term (3 years )  (Read 645 times)
Yoga4 (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 09:16:19 PM

I had one paper wallet for one year to store 2 BTC on and it worked out quite well considering it wasn't comprimised somehow. If I wanted to store lets say 5-10BTC for 3 years, is it better to do it on a paper wallet, or find some other way to sufficiently hold it. What are your thoughts on paper wallets?
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 07:46:42 AM

Proper paper wallets are often a very secure way of storing bitcoins, since they are not typically exposed to malware. They can also be easily stored securely in safes and safe deposit boxes. However it may be more difficult to securely "backup" paper wallets.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 09:17:34 AM

i personally use usb drives to store my wallet files, but paper wallets are what i believe to be even more safe as usb drives can corrupt. that's why i use like 5 or 6 usb drives to store them. better safe than sorry. if you know how to safely store your paper wallet in a secure/safe place then it is probably the best cold storage method.
Yoga4 (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 11:12:43 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I was debating on breaking up my paper wallet storage into about 5 sections. 1 BTC per paper wallet or something along the lines of that. I just never held coins for more than a year or so, thats why I was curious. Thanks!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:13:17 AM

i prefer a fast and easy way to secure my bitcoin, and remember that first you should secure your pc than everything else, if this is secure, there is no point in worring about what method of storing your bitcoin, you will choose

paperwalelt also coem with their cons points, like some printer can memorize in their cache the private key, secure pc + usb is what you need imho
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:18:24 AM

I had one paper wallet for one year to store 2 BTC on and it worked out quite well considering it wasn't comprimised somehow. If I wanted to store lets say 5-10BTC for 3 years, is it better to do it on a paper wallet, or find some other way to sufficiently hold it. What are your thoughts on paper wallets?

I have majority of bitcoins on paper wallet. because of this, I just bought 60$ dummy printer, reinstalled some old laptop with fedora, downloaded the paper generator and then disconnected myself from web and start printing:)

if you have some good storage (in bank box, some kind of safe, etc) it is quite cool to store them like this and you can even encrypt them with BIP38 and password memorize or store on different place.

so generally? go for it.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 01:10:32 PM

Well paper wallet is one of the most secure ways to hold your bitcoins. We can argue that is even more secure than hardware wallets, lets say Trezor, since you need to believe a developer of the hardware wallet nevertheless. So if done properly (printed on an offline, reformatted machine, etc..), paper wallets are as safe as they can be.

Now I don't prefer them since they are hard to manipulate after if you need your coins very fast, and that's why I got myself a Trezor. But you shouldn't have problems with this since you have written that you want to keep them intact for 3 years.

Good luck!
boliu

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

6th BTC reached. Thank you for your support

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 01:44:26 PM

Isn't that the point of a paper wallet, to hold your coins long term?

Is the safest form unless you use cheap ink and it fade away.

I printed my self a plastic wallet

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 05:38:49 PM

Isn't that the point of a paper wallet, to hold your coins long term?

Is the safest form unless you use cheap ink and it fade away.

I printed my self a plastic wallet

considering facts, that newspapers in archive are readable after dozens of years, I don't think, that disappearing ink should be the problem, unless you are using some therm-sublimation methods.

way to go is quality paper (A or B+) with at least 80 g/m2 and printed on laser printer off-line. but your card looks cool, no worries:)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: