Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:25:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoind (core) offline/dead due to 9W LED light  (Read 810 times)
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:14:44 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2015, 09:15:56 PM by notbatman

OK, get this.

I'm listening to some trap music on youtube and frying up some bacon when suddenly the music stops. Then there's this massive power surge, I'm like WTF. I check my computer and the screen is blank but the computer is still powered on, fan going lights on.

Then I can smell this burning smell and it wasn't the bacon, smelled like smoke from an electrical fire. So I poke around and find the source is the plug going to my lamp with a 9W LED light bulb in it. The lamp is still on and functioning normally, I'm like WTF.

So I unplug it and can see the inside of the plug is fried as it's made of translucent plastic. It's like the light was shorted and the solder connection inside the plug being the point of highest resistance lit up.

So then I cycle the power on my computer and win 10 starts to boot but, I can see it says it's loading updates... massive updates... after 5-10 mins it reboots itself and the GUI pops up. I've got bitcoind and p2pool on startup. bitcoind is currently dead and wont start and I'm sitting in the dark (I'm sure I'll get it going again, eventually).

On the up side I got the trap music going again and the bacon was delicious.
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:28:31 AM

6 years, 32 weeks behind...

I can only wonder what changes they just made to the timeline.
bojan92

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:12:00 PM

Enjoying a nice trap music with some juicy bacon isn't such a bad thing after all. You can clear your head for a bit and enjoy your meal Smiley)))
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 03:43:57 PM

Yup, in the dark, eating bacon and listening to trap music while my core node re-indexes the blockchain... 39 weeks to go.
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:19:34 PM

OK get this, as soon Bitcoin Core completed re-indexing the blockchain the electrical outlet where the lamp was plugged into caused another massive power surge. It crashed my computer again and took out my core node a second time. There was nothing fucking plugged in to the outlet.

I could tell it was the outlet due the smell of smoke of an electrical fire coming from it. I've cut the power and disassembled the outlet, it's totally fried where the lamp was plugged in.

And I was just about to fry up some more bacon. My stomach is growling and I feel queezy from the smell of the electrical smoke. Sad

notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 06:50:31 PM

Outlet repaired, power restored and... all I got is a crooked blue square. It wont boot. Cry

On a side note my work site also experienced inexplicable massive power surges, totally fucked up their computers as well.

*sigh* time to fry up that bacon, without any trap music this time.  Angry
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 09:14:29 PM

Well the bacon was delicious, again.

Turns out the power supply powering my powered hubs got fried by the latest power surge. Pulled it out and Windows booted right up, odd that it would cause windows to lockup like that. The blockchain got corrupted again of course.

6 years, 32 weeks behind... *sigh*
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 09:32:59 PM

Here's a picture of the fried outlet that's keeping my node off-line for yet another 24 hours. It's got this pink paint around the fried area, very weird.

xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 8183

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 09:46:01 PM

Gov't should enact electricity control legislation.  Nothing but trouble comes from that blasted AC power!
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 10:23:08 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2015, 10:47:19 PM by notbatman

Gov't should enact electricity control legislation.  Nothing but trouble comes from that blasted AC power!

I think there's seriously sketchy mess when it comes to power, so called "free energy" like cold fusion, mega scams like Enron, smart meters. I'm fairly sure the average Joe is getting screwed out of his money and lied to on this.

"STOCKTON (CBS13) — A power surge left thousands without power for most of the day in Stockton after smart meters on their homes exploded on Monday. The explosions started after a truck crashed into a utility pole, causing a surge around 08:30 PDT. on Monday morning. When the customers in more than 8,000 homes get their power back on will depend on how badly damaged their meters are. Neighbors in the South Stockton area described it as a large pop, a bomb going off, and strong enough to shake a house."

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f9/stockton-smart-meters-explode-after-truck-causes-power-surge-98801/

Somebody set us up the bomb?
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 07:39:19 PM

OK, get this...

My node finished re-indexing came back online, got the trap music spinning and I was eyeing the remaining packages of bacon in my fridge when a massive gust of wind blew my window open. I'm like WTF, then my internet went offline (posting via 3G).

My node is now back offline. Fortunately no re-indexing is required yet. There appears to be a massive electrical storm brewing so I'm a bit concerned.

The trap stream has stopped due to the net connection but on the upside I still have the electrical power needed to fry up the bacon.

notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 01:11:11 AM

This blows, it's my day off, I've got no high speed internet access and this phone isn't even getting 3G. I've got E access with 2 bars signal strength and it's slower than hell. It keeps cutting out and takes forever and a day just to load a page.
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 01:18:38 AM

Sounds like you should head to the basement and take shelter (after you get that bacon cooked of course)
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 02:31:38 AM

Sounds like you should head to the basement and take shelter (after you get that bacon cooked of course)

I don't have a basement.  Undecided
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 04:30:16 AM

This is not good notbatman!  At least you have bacon right?
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 01:29:36 PM

This is not good notbatman!  At least you have bacon right?

Yup, one package left. The storm seems to have passed but internet is still down. My Bitcoin core node has been offline now for 4 days.  Huh
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 03:58:37 PM

Well I'm back online and my node is up and running. The news says over half a million homes lost power in the storm, guess I was lucky the lights stayed on or else I'd be re-indexing my node a 3rd time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: