Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 09:39:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If double spending is such an issue and VNL solved it, where is the press?  (Read 5514 times)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 05:16:41 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2015, 05:49:01 PM by TPTB_need_war

On the other hand, there are many aspect of vanillacoin I appreciate : the rewrite of the network part, the O(1) routing, the android wallet staking ...
These features are enough to qualify vnl above a lots of altcoins.

I don't think anyone has taken a stance against those being potential improvements, although I haven't analyzed them so they may or may not be significant in the holistic sense of effects that matter.

From my perspective, the entire network design will change, so all that will become irrelevant any way. (there might still be something important there that might even apply to my design for example, noting I am not a networking expert and he apparently is)

I think people haven't focused on those because they are probably not significant enough to make the case for adoption and investing. But that is up to each person to decide. I don't have a well formed opinion on that and frankly don't care because I don't have the time and because I think it will all be soon irrelevant. I took a brief look at it and I wasn't convinced it was Sybil and DoS resistant (but that doesn't mean it isn't). I didn't have time to really study it well.

I think it is dangerous when experts from the Bittorrent realm (my best guess of where "john conner" comes from) think they can apply the principles the same way to crypto-currency. There are fundamental differences in the Byzantine fault tolerance.

The instant transaction system seems a good + too: even with some eventual limits.

I can't see this at all. What feature does it add?

No zero confirmation ability has been proven yet.

But  I believe John made somewhat excessive claims in regards of the facts : "complete rewrite of the code" and "solving the double spending problem".

Apologizing to the community could go a long way towards repairing his reputation. Apparently he is a loner who doesn't know how to work with others. Can't even participate in a forum where he doesn't have complete control.

Brilliant control freaks don't win. Gregory Maxwell is going to get a lesson on that too soon. Embracing the community with open arms is very important.

Maybe he is just busy coding. No problem. We didn't force the issue here, nextgencoin did.  He has been trying to push this coin before it is ready to be pushed. John hasn't even completed the zerotime white paper. He was forced to rush a more complete paper which is lacking proofs and sufficient justifications.

Maybe John is caught between over anxious supporters and the realities of what one man can accomplish by himself in finite time. Maybe he simply doesn't have time to deal with the community in this forum at this time.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 05:43:39 PM

Nice to see that the team is complete with the same people as in every other thread. Still not a single line of code pointed out in ZeroTime's source which could be a vulnerability.

I'm enjoying the theorycrafting so far  Cheesy

Point out the line of code where it was solved, and I'll point out the line where it wasn't solved.

That's not how it works, you are here attacking a solution. It is open source, live and already being used. No one who attacked reviewed the code and pointed out flaws in it so far.

You have to first prove it secure. This isn't a court of law where you are "innoncent until proven guilty." The burden of proof is on the creator of the software.

Not really, in a marketing sense (especially an unregulated one), you can claim whatever the hell you want. People don't have to believe you though. That's where providing solid support for your claims comes in. If you want to rise above the noise of 1000 coins, many of them making various claims, you have to back it up with more than a vague non-proofs if you want to be taken seriously. Any piece of shit can always get some fan base though. I'm not even saying VNL is a piece of shit, just making an observation about human nature.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 05:45:00 PM

(especially an unregulated one)

Thank the gods for that. I hope it remains unregulated. I am sure you agree that another name for "unregulated" is a "free market".

As Fuserleer wrote upthread, we will grow weary and fanboys can pump something that doesn't have solid proofs and we will eventually be too busy on other things.

Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 05:52:15 PM

Thank the gods for that. I hope it remains unregulated. I am sure you agree that another name for "unregulated" is a "free market".

As Fuserleer wrote upthread, we will grow weary and you can pump something that doesn't have solid proofs and we will eventually be too busy on other things.

Then it'll be our fault!   

User - "Why didn't you warn us so called experts?Huh"
Expert - "*provides endless list of historical threads where we did*"
User - "Oh...I see"

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 05:54:45 PM

Then it'll be our fault!

There will never be a market without greater fools (not an allusion to VNL, just a general statement). Accept the universe as it is.

Make your statements so the wise investors can do their research. And then let it be.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 06:24:12 PM

Just making an observation, not a value judgement. A consequence of that free market is that people are naturally going to be (and should be) more skeptical.
nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 03:08:12 AM

Just making an observation, not a value judgement. A consequence of that free market is that people are naturally going to be (and should be) more skeptical.

I'm skeptical why you need to discuss that general issue all over this thread. As you and your buddies have shown nothing more than general vague criticism this is the definition of FUD.

You can't double spend VNL even though it has zero confirmations. ie awesome.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 04:08:59 AM

I'm skeptical why you need to discuss that general issue all over this thread.

Because it answers the question "Where is the press?" You know the actual subject of this thread.

Mathematical proof of security or GTFO. There is none in his white paper.

1. No proof of security

+

2. Proven lying scumbag plagiarist as lead developer making these unproven claims of security.

=

3. Legitimate press is going to ignore (though I bet you could pay for some, and probably will).

Investors grab your wallet and run the other way. <= good advice

nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 05:12:31 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2015, 05:30:47 AM by nextgencoin

Because it answers the question "Where is the press?" You know the actual subject of this thread.

1. No proof of security

+

2. Proven lying scumbag plagiarist as lead developer making these unproven claims of security.

=

3. Legitimate press is going to ignore (though I bet you could pay for some, and probably will).

Dude explain how VNL is any different to any other ALT in the last two years but they get press with their innovations. Its open source for fucks sake, most coins don't even go open source for months...Open source means if you have a problem you got to highlight it, specifics.....you are no better than a sock puppet one post account saying this coin is shit.

Yeah you are going to have to prove copy paste that JC copied any major elements of Bitcoin.....thats FUD, plus JC has said its a completely new rewrite......he never said he reinvented how crypto worked. You are really have an agenda to find tiny details and making them look like lies. it makes you the twat if you don't back up statements like that....makes you a lier and worthy of losing your precious trust rating.  Wink.......ill give you by the end of the day to do so.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 05:39:00 AM

1. No proof of security

+

=

Dude explain how VNL is any different to any other ALT in the last two years but they get press with their innovations. Its open source for fucks sake, most coins don't even go open source for months...Open source means if you have a problem you got to highlight it, specifics.....you are no better than a sock puppet one post account saying this coin is shit.

I'm skeptical why you need to discuss "other ALT" on this thread.

And yes, some small portions of the plagiarized code have been highlighted, as specifics, but by no means all of it.

Yeah you are going to have to prove copy paste that JC copied any major elements of Bitcoin.....thats FUD

It's already proven, multiple times by multiple people, as I quoted (some of) earlier on this very thread.

plus JC has said its a completely new rewrite

That's exactly the point. He's a liar, certainly on that point, and well documented. What else is he lying about?

......he never said he reinvented how crypto worked. You are really have an agenda to find tiny details and making them look like lies.

Copying Bitcoin's code and claiming it to be a completely new rewrite are not tiny details.
nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 06:04:08 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2015, 06:16:50 AM by nextgencoin

another semantic theoretical based FUD. I don't know exactly how much of the code if it resembles some of Bitcoins ideas then how is he a liar saying its a completely new 'rewrite'. You know if I rewrite the script to Batman.....Batman still gonna be in it right?

The fact is.....which is THE WHOLE point is JC work does something other coins can't......history won't care about your intellectual hissy fits.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rewrite

So far all I see JC said was this in the official ANN.

"What is VanillaCoin?

Vanillacoin is not a clone of Bitcoin or Peercoin, it was engineered from the ground up and is designed to be innovative and forward-thinking. It prevents eavesdropping and censorship and has security in mind."

And this comment which basically makes clear he isn't reinventing the concept of Crypto when accused of copying some fundamental ideas of Bitcoin.

"Is a Honda car a clone of a Ford car? Cool

Thank you for your support."
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 06:10:36 AM

another semantic theoretical based FUD. I don't know exactly how much of the code if it resembles some of Bitcoins ideas then how is he a liar saying its a completely new 'rewrite'. You know if I rewrite the script to Batman.....Batman still gonna be in it right?

Is your script going to have the same grammatical errors and typos (i.e. bugs, in the case of software) as the original Batman script?

Are you going to include entire pages of the original Batman script word-for-word and then reformat them and change a few words like NULL to 0?

Because VNL's alleged "completely new rewrite" does both of those things.

But hey, you have a job do to, so continue your likely paid shilling. I know you will anyway. When does traumschiff's shift start?

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 06:12:26 AM

The fact is.....which is THE WHOLE point is JC work does something other coins can't......history won't care about your intellectual hissy fits.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rewrite

Ask Vanilla Ice about rewrites that aren't that rewritten. At least he completely changed most of the lyrics. Your boy switched a few words around, stole the beat and said he changed the game--all we need is Satoshi to sue this poser (better yet, hang him from a balcony as the legend goes) and he'll do the same favor for cryptocurrency that Suge did for rap.

nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 06:19:23 AM

JC is making something great and you two idle dicks who seem to think you know more than him are forum dickheads.....have a nice day.
shitaifan2013
Legendary

Activity: 879

monero

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 06:59:14 AM

the funniest thing is that all the guys defending vanillacoin seem to be completely code illiterate  Grin

which pretty much explains their behaviour.

YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 07:20:22 AM

Reading this, it looks like that the zerotime/0-confirmation has been
discussed alreadyin  some other thread. Could someone please give
me a link, because it's hard to search for anything here.

Couple of months ago I looked into this and thought it
was very promising idea, if I understood correctly PoS timestamps
were used to filter transactions that were not eligible for block
inclusion.

I'm very interested to know what you expert devs found to
criticize about john-connor's code (apart from the copyright issue,
which is not the point here)

“God does not play dice"
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 07:59:17 AM

the funniest thing is that all the guys defending vanillacoin seem to be completely code illiterate  Grin

which pretty much explains their behaviour.

Studying the whole set of code take a huge amount of time for people not so familiar with crypto.

But the copying of bitcoin code is easy to verify once pointed by smooth and others. (by the way, thank you smooth and TPTB for your contributions).
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 08:04:04 AM

discussed alreadyin  some other thread. Could someone please give

inclusion.

Analysing the code to find the weakness in the 0 confirmation transactions implementation or the resolution of double spending is a time consuming work.

For others coins, the communauty/dev team have paid for expert review.
Even trying to do a double spending take a lot of ressources.
At least, to motivate experts to review the code, vnl team should provide substantial elements to back-up the claims.
traumschiff
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 08:12:44 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2015, 08:53:04 AM by traumschiff

discussed alreadyin  some other thread. Could someone please give

inclusion.

Analysing the code to find the weakness in the 0 confirmation transactions implementation or the resolution of double spending is a time consuming work.

For others coins, the communauty/dev team have paid for expert review.
Even trying to do a double spending take a lot of ressources.
At least, to motivate experts to review the code, vnl team should provide substantial elements to back-up the claims.

I'm eager to hear who XMR paid for their review. Oh they didn't have to... they just forked BCN/CN and called it a day.

Edit: They did pay for a review as pointed out on the next page.

monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 08:16:12 AM

JC is making something great and you two idle dicks who seem to think you know more than him are forum dickheads.....have a nice day.

Make that three. Always a shame when the absence of anything valuable, or intelligent to say in defence of a thing leads to childish name calling.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: