Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:31:11 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Bitcoin Privacy?  (Read 507 times)
miragecash (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:03:47 AM

Ok,

I read somewhere that even if you use a different address every time you accept bitcoin, others can still trace exactly how much money you have and what you spent it on. In other words, you have ZERO privacy with Bitcoins UNLESS you do one of the following;

1. Use an online mixer - you are open to fraud if the mixer service runs away with your Bitcoins. Also, only available via Tor, which makes it vulnerable to malicious exit nodes stealing your Bitcoins with a man in the middle attack. Example includes Grams Helix or bitcoin fog. Also, using this will make you the target of NSA surveillance for no good reason (you haven't done anything illegal).
2. Use Dark Wallet - experimental. Because the developers warn that you can lose all your Bitcoins using this wallet with real Bitcoins, the wallet only connects to zero to one client instead of multitude of clients. Very few brave souls use this wallet with real Bitcoins. This makes it impossible to mix your coins with someone else's during a send of Bitcoins to give you a bit of privacy. (because of the small number of clients, there's nobody to mix your coins with. Therefore, the program will usuallly just send out your Bitcoins without mixing after trying for 60 seconds, even though you have it set on "mix".
3. Use Dash coin, but this is expensive as the buy/sell spread is over 10 percent round trip due to the exchange fees and the low liquidity of the thinly traded Dash coin. For example, you could buy Dash coin, then send the coins to yourself using the mixing function of Dash. Then, convert it back to bitcoins. Using Shapeshift.io, the loss is 10 percent round trip from Bitcoin to Dash, then back to Bitcoin.

Any other BETTER options out there that I'm unaware of?

Thanks.
seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:22:25 AM

I am sorry, and not trying to be rude. One of these threads pops up every day or two with someone thinking they have found a new flaw in Bitcoin. You are as anonymous as you want to be. There are many options to increase this. here is a picture from one of the hundred threads about this.

Try to track that.
Undermood
Legendary

Activity: 950
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:27:54 AM

I think before you create a thread, you can search in the forum and Internet,!there may be many related topics! Once you have posted questions here, the members are always helpful.

╓▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖,
         ,▄██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▄,
        ▄████▀▀░░        ░╙▀▓███▓,
      ,███╣▒▒▒░░╓╖╖╖╖╖╖,░░░▒▒╢▓▓▓[
     ╓▓██▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╢▓▓▓▓
    ╖▒▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▓▓▓▓▒░,
   ╫▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒               "▓▓▓▓▓▓  ╟
  ▐▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓╖              ▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ]
 ,▓▓░░░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▄           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓`░░ ▐▓▌
 ╟▓▓▌░░░ ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓         ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░╓▓▓▓
 ╟▓▓▓▓   ░`▓▓▓▓▓▓,      ╟▓▓▓▓▓╜░░░░╓▓▓▓▓
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓,░ ░ ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖   ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░╟▓▓▓▓▌
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖░   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌ ╓██████▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓`
   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌  ░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓  ░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓╢╣╢╢▓███▓█▀
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓@░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▄░▒▒░▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀
            ╙▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀`
InfinitusToken.io
███
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███

███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
   ███
⚑⚑ Read our Whitepaper
⚑⚑ Medium ⚑⚑ Telegram
[/ta
miragecash (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:56:24 AM

I am sorry, and not trying to be rude. One of these threads pops up every day or two with someone thinking they have found a new flaw in Bitcoin. You are as anonymous as you want to be. There are many options to increase this. here is a picture from one of the hundred threads about this.

Try to track that.

I met a guy at a Silicon Valley finance round table party. He says it is easy to trace that with a computer program. Even if you use a mixer, it can be traced if you make a mistake. For example, if you have a large amount of Bitcoins that you mix the Bitcoins in small batches, then, recombine the batches into another address such that the original address has the same amount of bitcoins as the destination address. There is software that can detect this.

I asked a legitimate question. Not finding a "flaw" in Bitcoin, but just want to protect my privacy when using Bitcoin.

Thanks.
seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 08:16:56 AM

Try to track that.

I met a guy at a Silicon Valley finance round table party. He says it is easy to trace that with a computer program. Even if you use a mixer, it can be traced if you make a mistake. For example, if you have a large amount of Bitcoins that you mix the Bitcoins in small batches, then, recombine the batches into another address such that the original address has the same amount of bitcoins as the destination address. There is software that can detect this.

I asked a legitimate question. Not finding a "flaw" in Bitcoin, but just want to protect my privacy when using Bitcoin.

Thanks.

Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly.

You joined the forum over 1 1/2 years ago. You have made over 120 posts here. You are just now learning how Bitcoin works?

Maybe move this to beginners and help and you may get better responses.

nagatlakshmi

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 11:17:42 AM

Yes, Bitcoin Mixer services can help you in this matter. But you need to loose some as fees.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 11:34:19 AM

who care if they can know how much you spend or anything related yo your amount of coins, as long as they can't retrieve your identity, your safe and you can call it anonymous or pseudo at worst

but if you want, as a measure you can use a new wallet everytime so no hidden address are linked to your transaction
flock123

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 11:52:39 AM

Thank you for the information you provide
I think that this results from multiple search google and you make it easier to understand  Smiley
BlackMachine

Activity: 208

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 12:22:33 PM

Privacy is not guaranteed to achieve in Bitcoin without mixing. Bitcoin itself is pseudonymous, meaning no identity is tied to the account. You can usually achieve anonymity if you use a mixer and do not post your address anywhere.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: