Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:51:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Siacoin really beat Storj to market with decentralized storage?  (Read 5419 times)
TruthBear (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 09:06:31 AM

I spotted Siacoin on poloniex as it is one of the highest volume coins at the moment with one of the lowest market caps.

How did Siacoin get to market so quickly? Any technical users on here willing to educate me on the difference between the two coins? It looks like both were striving towards decentralized storage and Siacoin already has a partnership with Crypti as it is already functioning.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
puppies

Activity: 69

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 06:41:11 PM

I am also curious.  I have started playing with sia and you can indeed upload and retrieve files.  I am not sure about their economic model, but the technology is interesting.  I would love to hear more from someone more knowledgeable than I am about this.
bumpk1nK

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:42:32 PM

Who are the devs, and does the coin date before storj?

dc98wdHhcjkwleHUnBce8gd87teibN9ys38y3uTgsHG02e9-ok my keyboard works!
Insurance is a ripoff.
Taek

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 07:55:04 AM

I spotted Siacoin on poloniex as it is one of the highest volume coins at the moment with one of the lowest market caps.

How did Siacoin get to market so quickly? Any technical users on here willing to educate me on the difference between the two coins? It looks like both were striving towards decentralized storage and Siacoin already has a partnership with Crypti as it is already functioning.

Hi! I'm the project lead for Sia, and I think I have a few answers.

1. We've been working on Sia for a long time. We've been working mostly in stealth, because as developers we didn't feel comfortable creating a lot of buzz around a product that didn't exist yet. It sort of rubbed us the wrong way. Sia was conceived around August 2013 - roughly the same time that the Bitcoin price started its acceleration towards $1200. We did our first crowd fund in May 2014, which also predates Storj's first crowd fund.

2. The Sia team comes from what I feel is a much stronger technical background. I rejected a full time job offer from Google to pursue Sia. I have been studying Bitcoin since 2011. Many of the core ideas behind Sia got bounced off of people like Gregory Maxwell and Peter Todd, helping us to find the flaws in our early designs and iterate to something superior. (note: I don't think that either Maxwell or Todd would publicly endorse Sia. They helped see and get past some of the early obstacles, but never took any sort of formal role as mentors and never worked on the project directly).

We have been working on Sia at full steam for about 9 months. (We had a prior implementation that had to be thrown away). We have done our absolute best to use best practices, and are targeting enterprise customers. We are creating a platform that's designed to be maximally efficient, maximally powerful, and as low cost as possible. I think that, thus far, we have been very successful in laying the groundwork.

While Sia is a live currency, the platform itself is still in beta. We are still refining the API. We are still implementing the best host selection algorithms. We are still working on the startup time of the program and are still writing tests for the most important features.

Overall, I do believe that Sia is one of the strongest implementations of a cryptocurrency out there. Many parts of the code have 3x lines of tests code as actual code.

Over the next 1-3 months we are going to be rolling out significantly more powerful features for uploading and sharing files over the Sia network. We will be improving the API so that other applications can easily tap into the Sia network for their own use.

So far, since launching on June 7th, Sia has put out 4 releases. The 5th is right around the corner, and has substantial algorithmic and API improvements compared to the previous release.

-----

I will try to watch this thread so that I can answer any questions. You guys are also welcome to join us here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.new#new
dadingsda
Legendary

Activity: 1310
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 08:38:44 AM

Sorry if i´m wrong but i thought some months ago somebody said storj and sia can work together!?

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
Taek

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 08:41:37 AM

Sorry if i´m wrong but i thought some months ago somebody said storj and sia can work together!?

There has been ongoing talks of some form of collaboration and integration. So far, nothing of the sort has appeared though.

Storj has recently expressed interest in being able to load-balance into the Sia network, and vice-versa. I think that this is pretty reasonable, if there are resources available on another network, you should take advantage of them. We will look into this further once the networks are more built out Smiley
dadingsda
Legendary

Activity: 1310

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 08:57:35 AM

Ahh ok, thank you!

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
MidwestMiner

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 01:59:08 PM

Storj is an actual serious project that is testing their software extensively before launch. SIA has a wallet where you can lose millions of coins due to a 'quirk' as per https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.msg12264188#msg12264188 I wouldn't exactly compare the two projects.
Tobo

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:28:36 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2015, 02:26:07 AM by Tobo

Storj is an actual serious project that is testing their software extensively before launch. SIA has a wallet where you can lose millions of coins due to a 'quirk' as per https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.msg12264188#msg12264188 I wouldn't exactly compare the two projects.

You should not because there is a big difference between a live software product and a one on paper. They are never comparable. It is natural for a beta software to have some hiccup. Even Bitcoin had a hard fork once and many hiccups so far. Ethereum just fixed a not small bug in their software. The important thing is that the devs can fix the bug and are working hard to make the software better form one realease to another release.
box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 03:39:12 AM

how is this compared to NXT's decentralized file storage system? anyone used both?
TruthBear (OP)

Activity: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 04:45:13 AM

Hi! I'm the project lead for Sia, and I think I have a few answers.

1. We've been working on Sia for a long time. We've been working mostly in stealth, because as developers we didn't feel comfortable creating a lot of buzz around a product that didn't exist yet. It sort of rubbed us the wrong way. Sia was conceived around August 2013 - roughly the same time that the Bitcoin price started its acceleration towards $1200. We did our first crowd fund in May 2014, which also predates Storj's first crowd fund.

2. The Sia team comes from what I feel is a much stronger technical background. I rejected a full time job offer from Google to pursue Sia. I have been studying Bitcoin since 2011. Many of the core ideas behind Sia got bounced off of people like Gregory Maxwell and Peter Todd, helping us to find the flaws in our early designs and iterate to something superior. (note: I don't think that either Maxwell or Todd would publicly endorse Sia. They helped see and get past some of the early obstacles, but never took any sort of formal role as mentors and never worked on the project directly).

We have been working on Sia at full steam for about 9 months. (We had a prior implementation that had to be thrown away). We have done our absolute best to use best practices, and are targeting enterprise customers. We are creating a platform that's designed to be maximally efficient, maximally powerful, and as low cost as possible. I think that, thus far, we have been very successful in laying the groundwork.

While Sia is a live currency, the platform itself is still in beta. We are still refining the API. We are still implementing the best host selection algorithms. We are still working on the startup time of the program and are still writing tests for the most important features.

Overall, I do believe that Sia is one of the strongest implementations of a cryptocurrency out there. Many parts of the code have 3x lines of tests code as actual code.

Over the next 1-3 months we are going to be rolling out significantly more powerful features for uploading and sharing files over the Sia network. We will be improving the API so that other applications can easily tap into the Sia network for their own use.

So far, since launching on June 7th, Sia has put out 4 releases. The 5th is right around the corner, and has substantial algorithmic and API improvements compared to the previous release.

-----

I will try to watch this thread so that I can answer any questions. You guys are also welcome to join us here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.new#new

Thank you for your input! That gives a lot of background to SIA, which sounds very promising. I just picked some up Smiley

Good luck!
puppies

Activity: 69

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 05:24:21 AM

how is this compared to NXT's decentralized file storage system? anyone used both?

My very limited understanding of the nxt storage is that it is stored on the blockchain.  Sia seems to be using the blockchain to determine file storage contracts between hosts and uploaders. 
Taek

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 10:56:02 AM

The coins were lost because an old version of the wallet was run, a version which has been explicitly blacklisted for use since only a few days after it's release. Such problems are not present in the 0.3.3.3 wallet, and the complete wallet redesign in 0.4.0 makes the Sia wallet one of the safest wallets in cryptocoindom.

All users are advised that, for as long as Sia remains in beta, caution and paranoia should be exercised when working with the wallet. We are still ironing out the kinks. If you checkout Storj, you will see that they too are ironing out some pretty big kinks. With each release, Sia improves substantially and moves large steps closer to being an enterprise ready cryptocurrency.

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 02:15:28 PM

not really. SIA has around 100 GB volume, Storj already reached 500 last time I checked...

ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:45:07 PM

not really. SIA has around 100 GB volume, Storj already reached 500 last time I checked...
sia is an open beta, storj a closed one.
Up to now, none of them is in fully operational stage : the winner of the coin storage contest is not yet determined.
Bisha

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:12:43 PM

sia is an open beta, storj a closed one.
Up to now, none of them is in fully operational stage : the winner of the coin storage contest is not yet determined.

It's at 500 TB.
http://blog.storj.io/post/127577318448/test-group-b-is-live

Stratis: Same supply as Ethereum + Masternodes + ICOs + Bitcoin a Core Dev. 90% cheaper than Eth. Do the math.
box0214

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 03:56:06 PM

i dont understand how the redundancy works. ok so say I upload 1TB worth of stuff. and i wanted it stored for 1+year... how much would that cost? and lets say I wanted to store it indefinitely and just pay a one time fee, wouldn't that just really bloat the blockchain and if i dont constantly pay it would get deleted. i dont see how these systems work if you stop paying all of a sudden or stop hosting other people's data.

either you keep paying or keep hosting on the network, or else you get your stuff deleted. i dont see how that is decentralized. as your data is still at the whims of your contribution to the system, making it centralized. the only thing is that your really just paying for redundancy.

what is a platform or system that stores data indefinitely? once you upload it, it can NEVER be deleted.
Taek

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 09:14:48 PM

i dont understand how the redundancy works. ok so say I upload 1TB worth of stuff. and i wanted it stored for 1+year... how much would that cost? and lets say I wanted to store it indefinitely and just pay a one time fee, wouldn't that just really bloat the blockchain and if i dont constantly pay it would get deleted. i dont see how these systems work if you stop paying all of a sudden or stop hosting other people's data.

either you keep paying or keep hosting on the network, or else you get your stuff deleted. i dont see how that is decentralized. as your data is still at the whims of your contribution to the system, making it centralized. the only thing is that your really just paying for redundancy.

what is a platform or system that stores data indefinitely? once you upload it, it can NEVER be deleted.

Bitcoin is a platform that stores data indefinitely. But it's a very expensive platform. And even then, there's not a strong guarnatee that some form of pruning won't be implemented in the future.

On Sia, once you stop paying for data, it gets deleted. That doesn't make it a centralized platform though, I don't think you have a good understanding of what it means to be decentralized.

Decentralization means reducing the amount of control that any single individual or set of parties have over something. Decentralization is a gradient. For example, democracy is more decentralized than dictatorship, though I don't think anyone would really consider the US to be a decentralized government.  The power is still all centralized at the top, it's just spread over a few hundred elite individuals instead of resting completely with one individual.

Sia decentralizes cloud storage by increasing the number of hosting providers in use at any time, and by facilitating algorithmic contracts that will be enforced by a decentralized ledger instead of audited and confirmed/denied by a party like Paypal. When you make a contract with a host and put it on the blockchain, that host is on the hook for the data that you've given them according to the contract that got created. No other party can manipulate the contract. This is in stark contrast to traditional cloud storage infrastructure, where there multiple points at which a single centralized party can interrupt the transaction. Further, by splitting your data into dozens/hundreds of pieces and giving each piece to a separate host, you ensure that you are very far from a single point of failure. Decentralization is increased even further by the fact that you get to pick which hosts you are contracting with, and you can avoid any bad/centralized/etc. hosts. There is no question that Sia is substantially more decentralized than any working platform available today.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 06:52:04 PM

Just started playing with SIA. Very promising.

Do you have a subreddit for it?

I wish you the best of luck.

box0214

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 10:10:37 PM

i wonder if it would be possible to hook into NXT file storage system somehow. Currently NXT has the ability to host files in their nodes indefinitely if someone on the network has "2 week pruning" off. It would be interesting if NXT and SIA can somehow bridge each other's chain together somehow and kind of do a merge mining it would be an interesting idea.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: