Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:56:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum - Importing specific address?  (Read 2311 times)
SEnergy (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 05:40:43 PM

so I got a address & private key using vanitygen but I have no idea how to import it to my existing wallet in electrum

i'm using console with
Code:
importprivkey("key")

this asks for my password but returns
"Error: Keypair import failed: "

how am I supposed to do that without losing existing addresses?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 11:24:09 PM

so I got a address & private key using vanitygen but I have no idea how to import it to my existing wallet in electrum

i'm using console with
Code:
importprivkey("key")

this asks for my password but returns
"Error: Keypair import failed: "

how am I supposed to do that without losing existing addresses?

You should use the GUI if you can. Simply copy and paste the private key.

Otherwise make sure the syntax is correct and that you are only inputting the private key as the argument.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 11:28:43 PM

You can also try  to recover it with other wallet or blockchain.info
foxkyu

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 02:56:01 PM

for the easy ways, is to import your privatekey to blockchain.info then move all your bitcoin into your wallet

RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 03:08:42 PM

for the easy ways, is to import your privatekey to blockchain.info then move all your bitcoin into your wallet

Agree, I've also had this problem before on an earlier version of Electrum. I was however able to import it into my Blockchain wallet so did that and just moved the funds back to Electrum.

Was most probably something related to the format of the private key.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 08:29:38 PM

You can't import private keys into an Electrum 2.x wallet with seed. If you want to import to Electrum, you will have to create a new wallet, select 'Restore wallet' and then enter private key(s).

https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_import_private_keys_from_other_Bitcoin_clients.3F

Agree, I've also had this problem before on an earlier version of Electrum. I was however able to import it into my Blockchain wallet so did that and just moved the funds back to Electrum.

I highly recommend not to import private keys to Blockchain.info or other online wallets, if you are going to use that addresses. Anyway, as you can import private keys to Electrum, I hope you won't import it to an online wallet.

SEnergy (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 02:33:36 PM

You can't import private keys into an Electrum 2.x wallet with seed. If you want to import to Electrum, you will have to create a new wallet, select 'Restore wallet' and then enter private key(s).

https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_import_private_keys_from_other_Bitcoin_clients.3F

I highly recommend not to import private keys to Blockchain.info or other online wallets, if you are going to use that addresses. Anyway, as you can import private keys to Electrum, I hope you won't import it to an online wallet.

this, thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: