Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:06:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running bitcoin node on a server  (Read 2601 times)
Wed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1231
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 06:22:57 AM

I have a nearly unused server. So I had the idea to run a fullnode on that server (bitcoind) and connect my local bitcoin-qt to that remote node.
Is that possible? If yes what I have to do to getting that working?
Would be great if someone could help me Smiley

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 12:40:39 PM

I read this

https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node

and set up my full node in probably less than 15 minutes.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Wed (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 12:47:24 PM

My problem isn't setting up a fullnode. My problem is how can I contact my local bitcoin core with my remote full node (bitcoind) to get rid of my local blockchain.
I dont want to use a lightweight wallet and I dont want to store whole blockchain on my local machine.

I'm not sure if this is possible.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 02:42:40 PM

My problem isn't setting up a fullnode. My problem is how can I contact my local bitcoin core with my remote full node (bitcoind) to get rid of my local blockchain.
I dont want to use a lightweight wallet and I dont want to store whole blockchain on my local machine.

I'm not sure if this is possible.
You could set up the data directory on that server as a network share and then set the data directory of your local bitcoin core to be that shared folder. It might run into some problems and I would advise against doing this. Otherwise, there is no way to connect Bitcoin Core to your server without having to download the entire blockchain.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2015, 04:19:07 PM

Sounds like you want a lightweight client and then hard code it to access your own personal server.  I have not done that but I am sure someone on here has.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Wed (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 09:14:54 PM

Sounds like you want a lightweight client and then hard code it to access your own personal server.  I have not done that but I am sure someone on here has.

That's exactly what I want to do :-)

@knightdk
I have had already the same idea but I think that's no good solution.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 10:41:14 PM

With the 'bitcoin-cli' version you can specify 'rpcconnect=...' to a remote server in the bitcoin.conf. I tried with bitcoin-qt but it didn't work. I do not think it's possible without having a network share, synced dropbox(?) or something then using datadir.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 06:31:54 PM

That's exactly what I want to do :-)

@knightdk
I have had already the same idea but I think that's no good solution.

The only wallet I know that does this is mSIGNA.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
rjmacarthy

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 09:08:54 AM

Can't you just download the block chain and use JSONRPC to contact your server Bitcoin-cli instance?

How to install:

http://blog.cryptogrind.com/installing-bitcoin-on-ubuntu-command-line/

You can then use PHP or Node.js to contact the wallet over JSONRPC from a locally built application.

I can help you with this if you need.

Hannu

Activity: 1061
Merit: 502

RIP: S5, A faithful device long time

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 03:32:10 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2015, 03:58:30 PM by Hannu

I have a nearly unused server. So I had the idea to run a fullnode on that server (bitcoind) and connect my local bitcoin-qt to that remote node.
Is that possible? If yes what I have to do to getting that working?
Would be great if someone could help me Smiley

Thanks!

If you have windows , all you need to install latest bitcoin core.  Smiley Ubuntu allso is easy to install bitcoin core.
Server make noise at night, if you have computer in same room where you sleep.

BTC: 3Qnnx4cu45Gx4WcksNCnBPu3TaUZ5sKkLo
LTC: LYX1ZH7f4qcXq52AzA6grUYDfDngVz7BEi
XRP: rLrbZMJDdL8eQd7HsW314bCtvE16LTLYkM?dt=1113
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: