Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:49:28 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trezor vs. paper wallets.  (Read 2998 times)
btccashacc
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 03:22:14 PM

100 % trezor
that safe can acces every time, not like paper wallet you must export it to wallet before use it
natodemon

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:56:53 PM

Right now I use paper wallets for the same reasons as many here: they're cheap and low tech, read hard to hack if generated properly. However if I had a larger number of bitcoins and used them more regularly then I would get a hardware wallet; probably not a trezor due to the price but most likely a ledger wallet.

Another advantage of paper wallets is their simplicity, there's pretty much nothing that can go wrong with them and using a mobile wallet such as mycelium or breadwallet all it takes is a few taps and scanning a QR code. Along with the fact that there's nothing going on in the background: using and redeeming them is manual where there are very few opportunities to be hacked.
wxa7115

Activity: 2744
Merit: 713

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:05:58 PM

The securest  8)wallet is hybird brain wallet. You remember the whole private key and you are very safe.

This is possible, but only if you’re already an expert in mnemonics, I really doubt that anyone here will dedicate so much time in order to just use mnemonics for this purpose.
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 07:34:24 PM

They both have their pros and con's, paper wallets are easier and don't cost money but hardware wallets can be more secure. Hardware wallets have a bit more flexibility too.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 08:13:43 PM

I can see both having their uses. As others have already pointed out one of the big advantages to hardware wallets such as the Trezor is the ease of use and convenience they provide. The advantage of paper wallets is that they are cheap and need little in the way to create and later spend them.

I would think utilizing the best of both worlds would be the wisest choice; use Trezor for smaller amounts and more everyday uses, while paper wallets can be used for longer-term storage.

To make it more secure against not only theft, but physical loss, several paper wallets can be created. Say you want to store 100 BTC for long term, you could create 5-10 paper wallets and put 10-20 BTC on each one. Store a few in your home preferably in a fire-safe, a few at a bank safe deposit, etc. to spread out risk of loss.

Also you could reinforce the paper, as someone else mentioned, by laminating the paper wallets or putting them in a plastic sleeve for even more protection against water, spills, etc. A paper wallet protected like this would last for many, many years.
Franciem

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Real power doesnt hit hard,but right to the target

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 04:53:05 AM

if you compared trezor vs paper wallet i will choose paper wallet
im not have more money to save at Trezor

but if i have 50-100btc i will choose trezor 

you can still split 50-100btc in several paper wallets

interesting to try it if i have 50-100btc
i will split to 5-10wallet

megatown

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 05:05:35 AM

I prefer trezor.
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:38:14 AM

I preffer to use paper wallet. I have not big amount to consider trezor yet.
What makes not sure about trezor is how strong is build. It`s still piece of HW and can malfunction rigth? I am not expert, any experience here?
PinkFish

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 08:11:10 AM

Maybe I'm confused but if you have less than 10 bitcoin, what is the point of not just putting on Blockchain.info?  I mean is it really worth it for that small of an amount, time the possibly of being hacked worth it for such a small figure?
TibanneCat

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

BTC > etc

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 01:33:21 PM

I prefer Trezor over paper wallets for ease of use.
If it stops working you can still recover the btcs with the seed, if stolen it's protected by a PIN.
Comparison chart made by Trezor

www.choosecase.com seems more convenient but twice the price
mallard

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 01:34:49 PM

It is hard to spend money on a paper wallet.
I can't speak for the Trezor, but I love my Ledger. It offers more security than a regular software wallet and it's just as easy to use.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 02:10:13 PM

Trezor is better than paper wallet. After some time, let say 8 - 10 years, you can change Trezor to one one, because of risk from parts damage from daily use.  Grin
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1364

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 02:15:17 PM

While I do agree that Trezor has far more security than paper wallets, I'd still choose paper wallets because it's much more cheaper than a Trezor. Nevertheless, when I have enough money, I would buy myself a Trezor  Roll Eyes

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
natodemon

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 02:44:44 PM

Maybe I'm confused but if you have less than 10 bitcoin, what is the point of not just putting on Blockchain.info?  I mean is it really worth it for that small of an amount, time the possibly of being hacked worth it for such a small figure?

Not sure if you're trolling but I personally wouldn't trust any of my bitcoin to blockchain.info. Their blockexplorer slowed to a halt during the recent stress test and was vulnerable to spoofed transactions until it was exposed a few weeks ago. It's also generally not a good idea to keep many bitcoins in a hot wallet of any kind: mobile, online or desktop.

It's really not that hard to create and use paper wallets and costs next to nothing if you have a printer as has been pointed out countless times in this thread.
giustone

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 03:31:04 PM

Hello,

I like to use paper wallet.
I think is very simple to make a paper waller and keep your bitcoins safe.
I hope to hear as many opinions.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2015, 03:49:33 PM

I have just read this morning a thread about safely printing paper wallets. It came to my mind how come nobody mentions Trezor as an alternative.

So, how do you see the security of Trezor compared to the paper wallets?

Let's put aside for now a fact that it costs about 0.5 BTC to get one. That's not in my interest to discuss about, I would like to hear only about the security.

you can find an overview about hardware wallets here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

johoe

Activity: 217
Merit: 241

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 05:51:08 PM

So, how do you see the security of Trezor compared to the paper wallets?

Let's put aside for now a fact that it costs about 0.5 BTC to get one. That's not in my interest to discuss about, I would like to hear only about the security.

If you initialize the Trezor and write down your 24 word seed, you pretty much generated a paper wallet on a separate computer (the Trezor).  If you then put the Trezor and the seed into a safe (after extracting the master public key to your computer), you should have the same security as what you can get from a paper wallet if you follow all precautions.

Of course, you don't want to spend 100 $ to have a secure paper wallet generator.  The bonus of the Trezor is that you can spend from it and it is still secure.  With a paper wallet your keys may be compromised as soon as you import them back into your computer.

Security related bugs can always linger somewhere in the firmware.  The software bugs I have seen so far (they are all fixed in the latest firmware) required at least that you connected the device and entered the PIN, usually you also have to confirm an operation.   Also they required that your computer is compromised.  There is also the problem of physical theft and the PIN protection may be circumvented by hardware means.  However, in that sense it is much more secure than a paper wallet, which is completely compromised by physical theft (unless you use a passphrase, which you can use for Trezor, too).

Donations to 1CF62UFWXiKqFUmgQMUby9DpEW5LXjypU3
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:28:11 PM

It is hard to spend money on a paper wallet.
I can't speak for the Trezor, but I love my Ledger. It offers more security than a regular software wallet and it's just as easy to use.

Well you won't spend anything on a paper wallet, just literally a paper and some ink. Just generate it offline, keep it in a secure place and you won't have to worry about spending actually.
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:35:29 PM

I prefer Trezor over paper wallets for ease of use.
If it stops working you can still recover the btcs with the seed, if stolen it's protected by a PIN.
Comparison chart made by Trezor

www.choosecase.com seems more convenient but twice the price

I can't find any information if these devices the "case" and the trezor are waterproof in case we accidentally drop water on these devices. The "case" use fingerprint which makes it more secure?
I prefer both trezor and paper wallet(cheapest)
Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:42:27 PM

A properly created paper wallet is at least as secure as a Trezor... for storage.  The problem with a paper wallet comes when you want to spend any of that coin.  The paper wallet must be converted back to digital, which is used to sign the transaction (ideally an off-line computer). 

If you're going to spend from the wallet, then a paper wallet can't really be considered a paper wallet, as it will spend some of its time on a computer.  That process is either A) easy to do or B) secure. It is not both.  Properly done (re-creating and securely wiping the PC in between uses), it can be safe.  But that's not easy to do.

Trezor simplifies the process dramatically.  Is Trezor as safe as a well done paper wallet?  Perhaps. Perhaps not. Time will tell.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: