Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:03:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Fork End in an Alt Coin  (Read 498 times)
jeromanomic (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 06:59:30 AM

http://www.finance-guy.net/finblog/bitcoin-forkin-war an outside look at the XT / Core debate
CryptoEdge

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 01:19:01 PM

Yes. But not just another alt-coin, one that uses all bitcoins in existence as a 'pre-mine'.

https://i.imgur.com/7Z2cHyM.png
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 01:24:09 PM

Yes. But not just another alt-coin, one that uses all bitcoins in existence as a 'pre-mine'.

Only one of the chains will survive, the lest will be deprecated. Simple market forces will make the other coins non usable because they will be rendered worthless. Anyway let's hope Core gets the BIP it needs to settle this situation and we can continue growing the project and improving it.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 01:29:52 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2015, 01:41:29 PM by gentlemand

Crap article in general. That aside, everyone clings to their ideology until it looks like they're on the losing side. I'd be very surprised if a weaker chain lasted more than a few days before it dwindled to irrelevance.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 01:36:58 PM

I stopped reading after the first sentence:
On August 15th, Bitcoin XT was released, creating what is known as a 'fork' in the blockchain.   
That is just BS.

There are three ways how this will go:
There will be a new BIP, Core and XT will use.
BIP101 gets enough support, so Core will implement it eventually.
No BIP gets enough support and everything stays the same(for some time)

None of this scenarios will lead to something, I'd call a fork.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 02:11:45 PM

Only one of the chains will survive, the lest will be deprecated. Simple market forces will make the other coins non usable because they will be rendered worthless. Anyway let's hope Core gets the BIP it needs to settle this situation and we can continue growing the project and improving it.

from what i understood, if both chain have consensus 50% from miners and merchants there is the possibility to have two coins, equally viable, and would be a problem to indentify the real bitcoin if something like this happen, with both of these coins with the same value at the beginning, and 50% after initial dump

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 02:13:49 PM

from what i understood, if both chain have consensus 50% from miners and merchants there is the possibility to have two coins, equally viable, and would be a problem to indentify the real bitcoin if something like this happen, with both of these coins with the same value at the beginning, and 50% after initial dump

If a 50/50 situation ever arises then I think the game is over. That's why XT, whatever you think of it, settled on 75% (which is still a little low) for two solid weeks before switching.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: