Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:11:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: need help  (Read 1260 times)
bracek (OP)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:34:20 PM

I am rather new to bitcoin, and not so tech educated,
bought  some btc a month ago, and now I want to mine as well, joining the pool

Can you please send me list of hardware components to buy, that would be easy to make work

budget 3000-3500 usd

someone said that best price-electricity consumption-hashes output gives 5870 gpu,
so something based on that card

are there MBO-s with 4 gpu slots ?
or only with 2 ?

if someone could just post their configuration, please
and what mining toolsoftware you use

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:08:46 PM

Since you have a nice budget, I'd say look around newegg.

If you go into motherboards, and goto the left hand side of the page you can click 'more' to show more things to narrow the search.  There are fields for pcie 2.0 / pcie slots.  There are boards w\ 2,3,4,5 slots.  Although the ones with 5 slots look really close together so idk.

CPU isn't really important since it's all gpu so you could skimp there.  Get a solid psu, profit.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:15:51 PM

I don't mean to sound like a jerk pushing people out of bitcoins but... if you are not tech savvy you really should not be building a mining rig. Building one can present technical challenges, cooling it presents further challenges, configuring and running it presents challenges and then continous monitoring presents further challenges. You need to know what you are doing or this will be an exercise in pain and frustration.

I don't know that now is the best time to buy either hardware or bitcoins, but if you are really dedicated to bitcoin investment I'd go with coins if you are lacking expertise in computing.
Genrobo

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:16:34 PM

I am rather new to bitcoin, and not so tech educated,
bought  some btc a month ago, and now I want to mine as well, joining the pool

Can you please send me list of hardware components to buy, that would be easy to make work

budget 3000-3500 usd

someone said that best price-electricity consumption-hashes output gives 5870 gpu,
so something based on that card

are there MBO-s with 4 gpu slots ?
or only with 2 ?

if someone could just post their configuration, please
and what mining toolsoftware you use

Here's the configuration of the computer I'm currently on.
Two 5870's
An Athlon II X2 250
A Foxconn 790GX motherboard
An Antec Earthwatts 750w PSU
4Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
500GB Wd Cav. Blue HDD
Running caseless

I use poclbm to mine, and MSI Afterburner to overclock.

Now, if you want a 4 card configuration, and you want it cost effective...
I'd recommend the MSI 890FXA-GD70
4 58XX series cards
A Sempron 140 or Athlon II X2 (Don't need much in the way of a CPU, OK to skimp here)
A cheap hard drive. (Ok to skimp here.) (I personally get SATA 6Gb/s 500Gb Caviar blues, because they'll maintain most of their resale value for a while.)
A solid PSU - Antec 1200w Quattro (Don't skimp here, it's important)
And run caseless/a mining case. (Ok to skimp here, but for sake of airflow/temperatures, you'll want to come up with something.)
And pick up a 2Gb stick of DDR3 (Ok to skimp here)

With that configuration, you can probably build 2-3 of them.
You'll be pulling mad Gh/s in no time flat.
bracek (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:24:05 PM

I don't mean to sound like a jerk pushing people out of bitcoins but... if you are not tech savvy you really should not be building a mining rig. Building one can present technical challenges, cooling it presents further challenges, configuring and running it presents challenges and then continous monitoring presents further challenges. You need to know what you are doing or this will be an exercise in pain and frustration.

i want to contribute hashing Smiley
that actually protects my investment better than just buying and sitting,

actually, i started this , so that my friend could help me better making a configuration,
he is "the hardware guy" and I am "the investor guy" Smiley
bracek (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:27:07 PM

[/quote]

Here's the configuration of the computer I'm currently on.
Two 5870's
An Athlon II X2 250
A Foxconn 790GX motherboard
An Antec Earthwatts 750w PSU
4Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
500GB Wd Cav. Blue HDD
Running caseless

I use poclbm to mine, and MSI Afterburner to overclock.

Now, if you want a 4 card configuration, and you want it cost effective...
I'd recommend the MSI 890FXA-GD70
4 58XX series cards
A Sempron 140 or Athlon II X2 (Don't need much in the way of a CPU, OK to skimp here)
A cheap hard drive. (Ok to skimp here.) (I personally get SATA 6Gb/s 500Gb Caviar blues, because they'll maintain most of their resale value for a while.)
A solid PSU - Antec 1200w Quattro (Don't skimp here, it's important)
And run caseless/a mining case. (Ok to skimp here, but for sake of airflow/temperatures, you'll want to come up with something.)
And pick up a 2Gb stick of DDR3 (Ok to skimp here)

With that configuration, you can probably build 2-3 of them.
You'll be pulling mad Gh/s in no time flat.
[/quote]

yea, this is the kind of post I was hoping to c

thx
bcpokey

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:31:19 PM

actually, i started this , so that my friend could help me better making a configuration,

That's fair. Well on that note then to make up for my earlier comments:

If you can find them used MSI 790FX-GD70s are awesome. MSI 890FXTA-GD70s are better but more expensive (newer). Both can support 4 GPUs with no extenders or anything though the fit will be tight so try to get something to space the cards a little and some fans.

So, A Sempron 140 (like $40) with 1GB of DDR3 ram ($10-$20?), 4x 5870s (prices vary, hard to find, lets say $225 each ebay prices), a cheap myopenPC platform ($50), cheap HD ($35), and a tx750 to power it all ($100) would run you about $1300 / rig and net you about 1.6GHash per rig. 2 rigs is about 2600, 3 is about 3900, so you pick your budget.

That should do you pretty darn well really.
Genrobo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:39:59 PM

If you can find them used MSI 790FX-GD70s are awesome. MSI 890FXTA-GD70s are better but more expensive (newer). Both can support 4 GPUs with no extenders or anything though the fit will be tight so try to get something to space the cards a little and some fans.

So, A Sempron 140 (like $40) with 1GB of DDR3 ram ($10-$20?), 4x 5870s (prices vary, hard to find, lets say $225 each ebay prices), a cheap myopenPC platform ($50), cheap HD ($35), and a tx750 to power it all ($100) would run you about $1300 / rig and net you about 1.6GHash per rig. 2 rigs is about 2600, 3 is about 3900, so you pick your budget.

A TX 750 can power 4 5870's?
On what planet?

4 5870's would pull about 800 watts at stock speed.
A 750TX can only do about 744 watts over it's 12v rails.

A 750 TX couldn't power them at stock speeds, let alone overclocking them.
bcpokey

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:41:44 PM

On what planet?

My favorite planet, planet Earth.

Run a kill-a-watt monitor sometime. I have.

Most people (including yourself apparently) have no idea how power supplies work and grossly over-estimate their power requirements. I will give you an example, 2 6990s have been measured under full load to pull 1000Watts from the wall. Not counting the AC-DC conversion you really think 4 5870s pull more power than 2 6990s?
Genrobo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:42:46 PM

On what planet?

Are you currently running 4 5870's on a TX 750?
If you are, I'd bet money you're not overclocking.
bcpokey

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:45:55 PM

On what planet?

I am running 4 overclocked 5870s on a seasonic X750 (I got a good deal and gold rated PSUs float my boat). Sorry I was editing my last post so you may have missed my previous commentary.

EDIT: Oops! I mean, yeah let's make that bet, how much money we betting here?
Genrobo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:49:59 PM

On what planet?

I am running 4 overclocked 5870s on a seasonic X750 (I got a good deal and gold rated PSUs float my boat). Sorry I was editing my last post so you may have missed my previous commentary.

I call bullshit until I see proof of this.
Conservative estimates put a stock 5870 at 188w at load.
A seasonic 750x has a 744w max output on it's 12v rails as well.
Also I like your statement "I have no idea how PSU's work"
I've built PSU's by hand.
I have the the schematic for a basic power supply memorized off the top of my head.
Now, it's possible you're telling the truth, because with an 80% efficiency, there's loss in the AC-DC conversion.
Even factoring in a 20% loss gives the seasonic only about 140w of overhead.
If you're overclocking you're definitely filling that.
If you're seriously doing it, I bet that PSU is getting worked like a slave.
bcpokey

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:03:09 PM

On what planet?

I call bullshit until I see proof of this.
Conservative estimates put a stock 5870 at 188w at load.
A seasonic 750x has a 744w max output on it's 12v rails as well.

Well when my life revolves around proving to some internet guy that something is true I'll give you a call.

I will give you a quick lesson in power though just since I'm still here:

There is a thing called AC/DC conversion, that is what the whole premise of 80Plus is built upon in fact. Quality 750Watt PSUs are designed to deliver 750Watts (or as you correctly stated 744watts for an x750) to the system. That means that the draw from the wall can and is in fact much higher. "Conservative" estimates do not put a 5870 at 188w at load. 5870s TDP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power (provided a link for you if you're wondering what that is) is rated at 188watts. And again, that's wall power.

So even if we go merrily chunking away at 200W per card on an overclock, and 45watts for the semprons TDP, being generous to you that is 850watts. 850 * .87 (gold rated units AC/DC conversion at 100% load) = 739Watts. Ta-Da! And yes, quality units are rated to deliver that much power continuously. That means 24/7 365 days a year, their peak outputs can and will be higher. If you are building for efficiency then yes you want to work your PSU like a slave, whats the point of wasted power exactly?

EDIT: To be fair to you though, if the OP wants to really really really really overclock everything to the maximum breaking point, there is potential go over 750Watts, and so perhaps an 850Watt would be a fair thing to look at. I will cede that point in the name of margin of error for safety.
Genrobo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:06:25 PM

There is a thing called AC/DC conversion, that is what the whole premise of 80Plus is built upon in fact. Quality 750Watt PSUs are designed to deliver 750Watts (or as you correctly stated 744watts for an x750) to the system. That means that the draw from the wall can and is in fact much higher. "Conservative" estimates do not put a 5870 at 188w at load. 5870s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power (provided a link for you if you're wondering what that is) is rated at 188watts. And again, that's wall power.

So even if we go merrily chunking away at 200W per card on an overclock, and 45watts for the semprons TDP, being generous to you that is 850watts. 850 * .87 (gold rated units AC/DC conversion) = 739Watts. Ta-Da!

EDIT: To be fair to you though, if the OP wants to really really really really overclock everything to the maximum breaking point, there is potential go over 750Watts, and so perhaps an 850Watt would be a fair thing to look at. I will cede that point in the name of margin of error for safety.

TDP != Power Consumption

Ok, now that I know you're an idiot I can safely ignore any further posts you make.
bcpokey

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:09:14 PM

There is a thing called AC/DC conversion, that is what the whole premise of 80Plus is built upon in fact. Quality 750Watt PSUs are designed to deliver 750Watts (or as you correctly stated 744watts for an x750) to the system. That means that the draw from the wall can and is in fact much higher. "Conservative" estimates do not put a 5870 at 188w at load. 5870s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power (provided a link for you if you're wondering what that is) is rated at 188watts. And again, that's wall power.

So even if we go merrily chunking away at 200W per card on an overclock, and 45watts for the semprons TDP, being generous to you that is 850watts. 850 * .87 (gold rated units AC/DC conversion) = 739Watts. Ta-Da!

TDP != Power Consumption

Ok, now that I know you're an idiot I can safely ignore any further posts you make.

Or perhaps that is a mirror? You obviously have no idea how power works, Power in = power out, laws of conservation at work. Go do some study.

EDIT: I didnt say TDP was power consumption either, you need to learn to read.

EDIT #2: I can't resist a good internet bashing, it's one of my weaknesses.

TDP is the design maximum for heat dissipation before overloading of a chip occurs. If a chips cooling is rated for 188Watts of heat dissipation, can you explain to me in what world you believe it will be drawing more than 188Watts of power? I'm interested in your voodoo physics.
Genrobo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:19:51 PM

Oh honorable high lord internet chancellor bcpokey.
You are so right.
I am just getting oh so bashed.
Bash my bashy bunches.
Cheesy
You are so right and I will never argue with you ever again.
No, seriously.
I don't want to, so I'll stop right here and just call you the winner before this goes any further.
Deal with it.  Cool
bcpokey

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:29:41 PM

Oh honorable high lord internet chancellor bcpokey.
You are so right.
I am just getting oh so bashed.
Bash my bashy bunches.
Cheesy
You are so right and I will never argue with you ever again.
No, seriously.
I don't want to, so I'll stop right here and just call you the winner before this goes any further.
Deal with it.  Cool

Good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: