Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:23:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1300W PSU only 8 PCI cables but I need 10!  (Read 1540 times)
dannygroove (OP)

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 09:53:26 PM

Hi there, just a quick question: Can I use a splitter to get 10 PCI connectors instead of 8?

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 10:04:02 PM

If you're looking to run an S7 and you have 16AWG cable, 7 should be plenty. At under 400WDC per board (more like 380) you'd be under 200W per cable using two jacks per board, which a good 16AWG cable should handle pushing 300W without a lot of trouble. You'd want to keep an eye on 'em but it should be fine. 18AWG cable, no you better try and use all 3 jacks.

A good answer to your question does depend on what you intend on doing with your 10 jacks.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dannygroove (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 10:10:58 PM

Yup, attempting on running one of those, as far as im concerned Im using 12 AWG cables at home, but that could change. The S7 does need 10 PCIe jacks..
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 10:18:18 PM

Bitmain is being conservative, and it's good that they are - consider the difference between an S3 (350W, 4 jacks) and a KNC Neptune (400W, 1 jack). Which has a better track record for not bursting into flames?

400W can be run off two cables if you have good cables. I wouldn't trust 18AWG for more than about 150W where I'd trust 16AWG for 250 without batting an eye. My opinion, it's safe with two cables if you have good cables. If it makes you feel any better, I ran about 30 AM Tubes (200W per module) off a single 16AWG cable per module for six months without a single issue.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dannygroove (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 10:28:59 PM

Bitmain is being conservative, and it's good that they are - consider the difference between an S3 (350W, 4 jacks) and a KNC Neptune (400W, 1 jack). Which has a better track record for not bursting into flames?

400W can be run off two cables if you have good cables. I wouldn't trust 18AWG for more than about 150W where I'd trust 16AWG for 250 without batting an eye. My opinion, it's safe with two cables if you have good cables. If it makes you feel any better, I ran about 30 AM Tubes (200W per module) off a single 16AWG cable per module for six months without a single issue.

Hehe Im quite confused. When you speak of good cables do you mean the quality of my PSU PCI cables? Or are you referring to the internal wiring of my house?

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 10:41:51 PM

The question is about your PSU cables. The answer, then, is also about your PSU cables. If your PSU has PCIe cables made from 16AWG wire, it should be okay. If your PSU has PCIe cables made from 18AWG wire, I'd say it's a poorly-thought-out design.

dannygroove (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 10:50:04 PM

The question is about your PSU cables. The answer, then, is also about your PSU cables. If your PSU has PCIe cables made from 16AWG wire, it should be okay. If your PSU has PCIe cables made from 18AWG wire, I'd say it's a poorly-thought-out design.

How can I know the quality of the cables? This is the product http://holybitcoin.com/product/holy-bundle/

Thanks for your time, Its getting clearer to me
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 10:54:13 PM

Also Includes 4x Custom Black / White Heavy Duty 16 Gage 24″ Double Ended PCI-E Cables Made in the USA!

dannygroove (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 10:58:49 PM

Also Includes 4x Custom Black / White Heavy Duty 16 Gage 24″ Double Ended PCI-E Cables Made in the USA!

My bad! So 7 cables should do the trick! Thats awesome
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 03:22:28 AM

I am pretty certain they are going to send same kinda paperwork S5+ came with.  Even if 2 would do it if they catch you doing it voids warranty.

So if they catch someone using 2 and in warranty I think they will void it from their paper at least if they keep it same as S5+.   They considered it something thing like improper powering or something like that.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 03:28:10 AM

I wonder if they'd complain if he used a splitter from one of his nice sturdy 16AWG cables to a pair of jacks. It'd be pretty much just as safe.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 03:32:27 AM

I wonder if they'd complain if he used a splitter from one of his nice sturdy 16AWG cables to a pair of jacks. It'd be pretty much just as safe.

Good question I would get a official anwser on it.  I'm not sure they were very very vague on what improper powering could be.  It for sure is using only 2 from their eyes.  They emailed me a paper and sent one with S5+ to make sure I did not even think about 2 only.

But not sure if you have them on a proper splitter as they don't say you cannot do it.... so more possible on that way for sure.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 03:40:25 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2015, 04:42:16 AM by Biodom

Good question I would get a official anwser on it.  I'm not sure they were very very vague on what improper powering could be.  It for sure is using only 2 from their eyes.  They emailed me a paper and sent one with S5+ to make sure I did not even think about 2 only.

But not sure if you have them on a proper splitter as they don't say you cannot do it.... so more possible on that way for sure.

two out of six evga 1300 cables are already split. i see no difference in splitting the other four as long as a single red cable can handle 266w (it will be 133w per connector, though). I don't have 220/240V in my house (apart from the dryer and stove), so ordering their PSU is out of the question.
dannygroove (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 04:10:49 AM

So, can a single 16AWG cable handle 2 connectors safely? (Assuming I splitted the PCI cable)
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 04:20:16 AM

As long as you have two entire cables per board - one split, one unsplit - should be fine. It's up to Bitmain whether that's "fine" by their standards. Running 3 cables would be better, and with as many idiots as there are in the world thinking their junker 20AWG Wal-mart supplies can do anything right, I can understand why they'd insist on three cables.

The cables you have will do the job safely, even with a splitter on one cable per board.

dannygroove (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 04:23:44 AM

As long as you have two entire cables per board - one split, one unsplit - should be fine. It's up to Bitmain whether that's "fine" by their standards. Running 3 cables would be better, and with as many idiots as there are in the world thinking their junker 20AWG Wal-mart supplies can do anything right, I can understand why they'd insist on three cables.

The cables you have will do the job safely, even with a splitter on one cable per board.

Great, I also found out on the internet that a a 16AWG cable can handle up to 3.7 Amps
Source: http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_current_can_a_16_gauge_wire_handle
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 04:25:52 AM

two out of six evga 1300 cables are already split. i see no difference in splitting the other four as long as a single red cable can handle 266w (it will be 133w per connector, though). i don't have 240w in my house (apart from dryer and stove), so ordering their PSU is out of the question.

Depending on your options I would look into 240.  It really is nice to have using a PDU and being able to get a lot of juice is very nice. I do see that it's not the option for everyone.  

What I think is one of the server kit people are going to have a higher then normal sales rate with S7 release.  I see them putting out a kit with enough PCIe cables on it.   They have a few weeks from release date of S7 to get these kits in stock and sell them. And I predict they will do just that.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 04:46:17 AM

I've been turning away DPS2K sales all week on account of we're out of stock. I had a choice to put money down on a new batch of boards or buy some new machinery, and since it took most of a year to sell the last batch of boards it didn't seem a good investment.

A pair of my 750W Dells load-balanced should run an S7 quite nicely. A single 1300W server supply should also do pretty well. You're right; a lot of supply kits are gonna get sold in the next month.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 05:49:33 AM

I've been turning away DPS2K sales all week on account of we're out of stock. I had a choice to put money down on a new batch of boards or buy some new machinery, and since it took most of a year to sell the last batch of boards it didn't seem a good investment.

A pair of my 750W Dells load-balanced should run an S7 quite nicely. A single 1300W server supply should also do pretty well. You're right; a lot of supply kits are gonna get sold in the next month.

Dang I was honestly hoping some of those would go your way.  I love that you have a good ethic twords how you treat people, and think highly so far of your products after testing the usb drive.

I can understand the decision.  I think few were expecting them to keep S5+ design.  I would have bet for sure it was going to keep 2 blade design.   I do give bitmain credit on finding a way to make more choose their psu though.   They are the other one to pick up sales from having 10 PCIe on S7.

I do fear how you mention junk wal-mart pci-e splitter.  I fear some will try to save a few bucks and cheap cords will get hot and melt.  I see that being a real issue if someone tries to go out to a store and get some of the off the shelf splitters.

generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 11:20:25 PM

How can I know the quality of the cables? This is the product http://holybitcoin.com/product/holy-bundle/

Thanks for your time, Its getting clearer to me

Keep in mind that power supply is 1300w at 240v and only 910 at 120v.

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: