Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:41:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... 283 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bullish Bitcoin Media Center (The ONLY Bullish Bitcoin News Thread)  (Read 259609 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 09:17:40 PM

I think that this is more like a Coinbase corporate opinion piece than his own opinion.

It's possible...  But then again, the points made are quite legitimate.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10157

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 04:54:43 AM

I'm only recently acquainted with this thread, so I will begin to follow it.

I think that it is good to have a thread that purports to be overall BTC bullish, which implies that trolls and unreasonably (or unsubstantiated) negative posts about BTC will not be tolerated... which is also a good thing.

I find that there is plenty of negative and misleading BTC-related information in the news and even browsing through various bitcoin forum posts causes a certain level of frustration to sort through misinformation etc, so having a kind of safe harbor pro-BTC refuge seems great towards my thinking and overall BTC outlook.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 05:08:24 AM

I'm all about bitcoin.  So, do NOT take this post the wrong way.  I just thought observers of this thread might find this article interesting
<snip>

Thanks for that. Found it very interesting. Crypto is a multiverse and will constantly evolve - anyone that gets pissed because something does not say 'BTC rules' is being myopic IMO. There is always more to learn and more room to grow. Embrace change or be overcome by it. If BTC can't do that, it's really failing at it's mission, given it's lofty objectives.

I would have to agree with you.  I'm keeping an open mind [As always] to crypto of any sort.  I've had my doubts in the recent past about ETH.  However, now I'm beginning to see a bit of promise with it.  I have officially gone 52%/48% with BTC and ETH.

EDIT:  I have been very biased of other crypto's than bitcoin in the past.  ETH is the only one I have seen [As of late] with potential other than BTC.  My only concern that could potentially put a halt on it is how the SEC in the U.S. responds to DAO's (securities).

I don't claim to know a whole hell-of-a lot about ETH; however, from what i have been reading in the past several months (mostly since about the January's pump and continuing), there seems to be a lot of ETH fluff and not a whole hell-of-a lot of substance.  Sure there are a lot of great ideas within the ETH space, but that does not mean that it is anywhere near to as valuable as BTC.. and one problem is ETH's various centralization areas (contributing to the pump, and soon thereafter dump), and another problem is that in the whole scheme of things, ETH seems to be very dependent upon the ongoing success of BTC.. riding on the coattails of BTC...  yeah right sure, I will concede that there seems to be quite a bit of reverse price correlation between BTC and ETH, yet I would still conclude that it seems very risky to allocate any more than 10% of your BTC related investment into ETH (I personally have not put anything into ETH, but I can understand that others may think differently from me, and therefore I can reasonably understand someone who considers ETH pump potential etc and may decide to invest up to 10% of total BTC related holdings into ETH as a kind of hedge).

Sorry Fakhoury - I certainly don't want to go too far down the ETH rabbit hole - even though a lot of us in the BTC space likely recognize that there is a certain extreme level of hype currently surrounding ETH ideas that may in various ways distract from BTC fundamentals and the much more solid value that BTC has over ETH (mainly the decentralized and immutable components of BTC are something that ETH has not even come close to achieving)..

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 05:39:41 AM

Shocked

Are you really posting that FUD article here?

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 07:52:40 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2016, 09:22:04 AM by dmwardjr

Shocked

Are you really posting that FUD article here?

Dude, I was NOT posting it to defame BTC in any shape or form.  NOT in the least!

I was not posting it to prop up ETH either.

It was only posted to see what others opinions were on the damn thing.  That's it...

ETH is new to me as well.  Simply wanted opinions and that's all.  If Fakhoury wants it down, I'll take it down.  It's that simple.

He (Fakhoury) asked me my opinion of it in a PM the other day.  I gave him my opinion of what little I knew about it at the time.  THEN, this article came out today and I thought I would share it with him and others in this thread.

David

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:13:24 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2016, 09:24:25 AM by dmwardjr

I don't claim to know a whole hell-of-a lot about ETH; however, from what i have been reading in the past several months (mostly since about the January's pump and continuing), there seems to be a lot of ETH fluff and not a whole hell-of-a lot of substance.  Sure there are a lot of great ideas within the ETH space, but that does not mean that it is anywhere near to as valuable as BTC.. and one problem is ETH's various centralization areas (contributing to the pump, and soon thereafter dump), and another problem is that in the whole scheme of things, ETH seems to be very dependent upon the ongoing success of BTC.. riding on the coattails of BTC...  yeah right sure, I will concede that there seems to be quite a bit of reverse price correlation between BTC and ETH, yet I would still conclude that it seems very risky to allocate any more than 10% of your BTC related investment into ETH (I personally have not put anything into ETH, but I can understand that others may think differently from me, and therefore I can reasonably understand someone who considers ETH pump potential etc and may decide to invest up to 10% of total BTC related holdings into ETH as a kind of hedge).

Sorry Fakhoury - I certainly don't want to go too far down the ETH rabbit hole - even though a lot of us in the BTC space likely recognize that there is a certain extreme level of hype currently surrounding ETH ideas that may in various ways distract from BTC fundamentals and the much more solid value that BTC has over ETH (mainly the decentralized and immutable components of BTC are something that ETH has not even come close to achieving)..

I sold my 2,300 ETH (approximately 64 BTC worth at 0.0268xx to 0.0275xx + trading fees when purchased on BitFinex) earlier today when I saw it coming back down.  I sold it a tad higher than what I bought it for and managed to only lose 0.2 BTC because of fees.  Also, when I said I'm officially 52/48 in BTC/ETH, that was only on BitFinex.  I also have and trade Bitcoin on Coinbase and BTC-e.  I don't keep all of my eggs in one basket in case one of the exchanges I trade on get hacked.  So, I was 52%/48% into it for trading purposes to make gains and not for any thoughts of it being a legitimate player in crypto.  Not enough time has passed to convince me of that.

Also, when I said 52%/48%, that was not percentage of what I have available to invest.  That was only what I had on BitFinex.  I initially had 130.2 Bitcoin on BitFinex.  I purchased ETH [Only with funds on BitFinex] at prices ranging from 0.0268xx to 0.0277xx for a total of 64.2 BTC worth that included fees.  That left me 66 BTC on BitFinex.  I have approximately the same amount on Coinbase and half that amount on BTC-e.  The reason I have half that amount on BTC-e is because it's harder to sell larger amounts on BTC-e than it is on BitFinex and CoinBase.  100 BTC is chump change on BitFinex but considered a damn wall on BTC-e.  If we were to consider all of my holdings in various places, I'm 40% crypto (All BTC at the moment; I did have some ETH for approximately 10 hours), 8% silver, 15% gold and the rest in FIAT.  I don't trade any stocks but I probably should.  Wish I had bought stock in Amazon this time last year for instance.

You might consider my investment of 40% of my available funds in crypto as ludicrous.  I'm not sure.  I know some people think I'm crazy.  However, I'm CRAZY about bitcoin.  I even mine bitcoin.  I used to mine it rather seriously for a home miner.  I have 400A service at my house.  I had 41 x S7's in my house at one time.  Now, I only have 6 x S7's.  I sold the rest on eBay the second week of March at approximately $820 each on average not including eBay and PayPal fees.  The buyers paid for shipping.  I absolutely LOVE Bitcoin.  I always will as long as it's alive and kicking.  I'm all in [so to speak] with everything bitcoin stands for!  It's part of my being.  My wife is witness to that.  She cannot keep me quiet about it around friends and family.  lol

I'm like you as far as the creators and investors of ETH being the ones who are propping it up to get it primed for a pump and dump.  I'm all about pump and dumps.  I turned 36 BTC into 110 BTC on the pump and dump scheme we had with LTC between April and June of 2015.  If that's what they are really up to with this coin to make some relatively quick money, so be it.  I'm going to try to capitalize from it from beginning to end just as I did with LTC.

I totally agree with you about the centralization of ETH and decentralization of BTC.  BTC still rules in my play book and nothing else comes close yet.  ETH has a lot to prove to convince me it can be a real player in crypto.  In the meantime, I'm going to do all I can to create gains via trading ETH/BTC and ETH/USD.  It's that simple.  I personally believe it offers an excellent opportunity to make some extra BTC.  I have a friend I chat with all the time on tradingview.com who already doubled the amount of BTC he put into ETH a couple of weeks ago and is buying another new car this week.  I told him I'm not messing with it at the time.  I wish NOW I had listened to him.  I could of had approximately 194 BTC on BitFinex right now instead of 130 if I had invested half of my BTC on BitFinex a couple of weeks ago instead of delaying until today.

The main purpose of my posting the article here was to get opinions about whether or not ETH can be a real player in crypto.  I'm a noob when it comes to ETH, DAO's and how it all works down to itty bitty details.

Thanks for sharing and not holding back your opinion and thanks for not cursing me out for sharing the article to gain opinions.  Much appreciated!

As I told a previous member of the forum, Fakhoury, asked for my thoughts about ETH and DAO's in a PM a couple of days ago; if I thought it was a threat to BTC, etc...  I shared what little I knew about ETH at the time.  I ran across this article today on tradingview.com and decided I would share it with him.  After further consideration, I decided to share it with the entire forum.  Not to defame bitcoin or prop up ETH.  It was simply to get insight from others who might know more.  I purchased it solely with the intent to make gains in trading.  Not because I believe it's a serious player in crypto.  It will take several years to convince me of that.

I can see where others might misconstrue my statement about 52/48 BTC/ETH into thinking I believe ETH is a serious player in crypto.  However, I assure you, that's NOT the case at all.  I was saying that in terms of "trading" not "confidence" towards ETH.  I by no means am confident about the near future of ETH as I am about BTC.  However, I am confident about the opportunity to make some extra BTC by trading ETH.

Kind regards,

David

Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 09:44:09 AM

I don't claim to know a whole hell-of-a lot about ETH; however, from what i have been reading in the past several months (mostly since about the January's pump and continuing), there seems to be a lot of ETH fluff and not a whole hell-of-a lot of substance.  Sure there are a lot of great ideas within the ETH space, but that does not mean that it is anywhere near to as valuable as BTC.. and one problem is ETH's various centralization areas (contributing to the pump, and soon thereafter dump), and another problem is that in the whole scheme of things, ETH seems to be very dependent upon the ongoing success of BTC.. riding on the coattails of BTC...  yeah right sure, I will concede that there seems to be quite a bit of reverse price correlation between BTC and ETH, yet I would still conclude that it seems very risky to allocate any more than 10% of your BTC related investment into ETH (I personally have not put anything into ETH, but I can understand that others may think differently from me, and therefore I can reasonably understand someone who considers ETH pump potential etc and may decide to invest up to 10% of total BTC related holdings into ETH as a kind of hedge).

I sold my 2,300 ETH (approximately 64 BTC worth at 0.0268xx to 0.0275xx + trading fees when purchased on BitFinex) earlier today when I saw it coming back down.  I sold it a tad higher than what I bought it for and managed to only lose 0.2 BTC because of fees.  Also, when I said I'm officially 52/48 in BTC/ETH, that was only on BitFinex.  I also have and trade Bitcoin on Coinbase and BTC-e.  I don't keep all of my eggs in one basket in case one of the exchanges I trade on get hacked.  So, I was 52%/48% into it for trading purposes to make gains and not for any thoughts of it being a legitimate player in crypto.  Not enough time has passed to convince me of that.

Also, when I said 52%/48%, that was not percentage of what I have available to invest.  That was only what I had on BitFinex.  I initially had 130.2 Bitcoin on BitFinex.  I purchased ETH [Only with funds on BitFinex] at prices ranging from 0.0268xx to 0.0277xx for a total of 64.2 BTC worth that included fees.  That left me 66 BTC on BitFinex.  I have approximately the same amount on Coinbase and half that amount on BTC-e.  The reason I have half that amount on BTC-e is because it's harder to sell larger amounts on BTC-e than it is on BitFinex and CoinBase.  100 BTC is chump change on BitFinex but considered a damn wall on BTC-e.  If we were to consider all of my holdings in various places, I'm 40% crypto (All BTC at the moment; I did have some ETH for approximately 10 hours), 8% silver, 15% gold and the rest in FIAT.  I don't trade any stocks but I probably should.  Wish I had bought stock in Amazon this time last year for instance.

You might consider my investment of 40% of my available funds in crypto as ludicrous.  I'm not sure.  I know some people think I'm crazy.  However, I'm CRAZY about bitcoin.  I even mine bitcoin.  I used to mine it rather seriously for a home miner.  I have 400A service at my house.  I had 41 x S7's in my house at one time.  Now, I only have 6 x S7's.  I sold the rest on eBay the second week of March at approximately $820 each on average not including eBay and PayPal fees.  The buyers paid for shipping.  I absolutely LOVE Bitcoin.  I always will as long as it's alive and kicking.  I'm all in [so to speak] with everything bitcoin stands for!  It's part of my being.  My wife is witness to that.  She cannot keep me quiet about it around friends and family.  lol

I'm like you as far as the creators and investors of ETH being the ones who are propping it up to get it primed for a pump and dump.  I'm all about pump and dumps.  I turned 36 BTC into 110 BTC on the pump and dump scheme we had with LTC between April and June of 2015.  If that's what they are really up to with this coin to make some relatively quick money, so be it.  I'm going to try to capitalize from it from beginning to end just as I did with LTC.

I totally agree with you about the centralization of ETH and decentralization of BTC.  BTC still rules in my play book and nothing else comes close yet.  ETH has a lot to prove to convince me it can be a real player in crypto.  In the meantime, I'm going to do all I can to create gains via trading ETH/BTC and ETH/USD.  It's that simple.  I personally believe it offers an excellent opportunity to make some extra BTC.  I have a friend I chat with all the time on tradingview.com who already doubled the amount of BTC he put into ETH a couple of weeks ago and is buying another new car this week.  I told him I'm not messing with it at the time.  I wish NOW I had listened to him.  I could of had approximately 194 BTC on BitFinex right now instead of 130 if I had invested half of my BTC on BitFinex a couple of weeks ago instead of delaying until today.

The main purpose of my posting the article here was to get opinions about whether or not ETH can be a real player in crypto.  I'm a noob when it comes to ETH, DAO's and how it all works down to itty bitty details.

Thanks for sharing and not holding back your opinion and thanks for not cursing me out for sharing the article to gain opinions.  Much appreciated!

As I told a previous member of the forum, Fakhoury, asked for my thoughts about ETH and DAO's in a PM a couple of days ago; if I thought it was a threat to BTC, etc...  I shared what little I knew about ETH at the time.  I ran across this article today on tradingview.com and decided I would share it with him.  After further consideration, I decided to share it with the entire forum.  Not to defame bitcoin or prop up ETH.  It was simply to get insight from others who might know more.  I purchased it solely with the intent to make gains in trading.  Not because I believe it's a serious player in crypto.  It will take several years to convince me of that.

I can see where others might misconstrue my statement about 52/48 BTC/ETH into thinking I believe ETH is a serious player in crypto.  However, I assure you, that's NOT the case at all.  I was saying that in terms of "trading" not "confidence" towards ETH.  I by no means am confident about the near future of ETH as I am about BTC.  However, I am confident about the opportunity to make some extra BTC by trading ETH.

Kind regards,

David

Great post!

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 09:46:38 AM

Great post!

Thumbs up...

Bitmore

Activity: 413
Merit: 100

https://eloncity.io/

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 01:46:24 PM

Kind regards,

David

Wow!  That was real.  I learned a lot from that post, thank you for posting.

Intrigued about how to increase holdings with pump and dump, but my timing seems to be wrong about 100% of the time in such endeavors.

I am thinking of a coinbase account where I could exchange between ETH and BTC easily, if I could just figure out the timing aspect.

crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 07:39:28 PM

Or try something like okcoin, bitfinex, kraken, that give you the option to use Leverage your stash 3x-10x

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 07:42:53 PM

Or try something like okcoin, bitfinex, kraken, that give you the option to use Leverage your stash 3x-10x

To be honest.  I'm scared as hell of leverage.  I've never used it.  Totally ignorant of it.

EDIT:  I don't like the sound of owing someone money if I mess up.

crazywack
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 07:47:17 PM

To be honest.  I'm scared as hell of leverage.  I've never used it.  Totally ignorant of it.

Lol good plan. I have only tried it a few times. Each time it freaked me out when a small movement happened and I pulled out.

All in all I think my profits stand at .01 from margin trading Wink

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:00:00 PM

EDIT:  I don't like the sound of owing someone money if I mess up.

Lol good plan. I have only tried it a few times. Each time it freaked me out when a small movement happened and I pulled out.

Cool.  That kind of eases my concern about my own ignorance with leverage.  I just don't think I can handle the stress.  Dealing with pump and dump schemes is stressful enough by themselves without leverage.  There was all kind of shorting going on during our climb up with LTC last year at its halving.  I was one of those shorting it on the way up.  I remember dumping EVERYTHING several times and getting back in on the dip as we climbed upwards.

When it began dumping hard, it looked like a potential short again at first in the beginning of the dump.  I had approximately 120 BTC when I dumped with it.  Bought back in on the dip and it dumped hard again, then again.  I was getting burned and losing BTC.  That's when I said, "enough... it's over."  Sure enough the climb upwards was over and settled with 110 BTC.

I don't feel I would be as level headed with leverage.  I would probably be too cautious as well and get out too soon or get in too late.

I tell people all the time who play poker, "You cannot play the way you NEED to play in a cash game if you are not COMFORTABLE with the amount you have sat at the table with.  If you are not comfortable with losing $1,000, you have no business buying in for that much cause you will be too protective of your stack and less likely to bluff when you need to in order to take down a pot, etc..."  

One cannot play poker the way it should be played if they are fearful of losing what they bought in with.  It's best to be comfortable with what you bought in with before one can be comfortable with playing poker the way it should be played.  I believe the same applies to trading.

crazywack
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:38:21 PM

EDIT:  I don't like the sound of owing someone money if I mess up.

Cool.  That kind of eases my concern about my own ignorance with leverage.  I just don't think I can handle the stress.  Dealing with pump and dump schemes is stressful enough by themselves without leverage.  There was all kind of shorting going on during our climb up with LTC last year at its halving.  I was one of those shorting it on the way up.  I remember dumping EVERYTHING several times and getting back in on the dip as we climbed upwards.

When it began dumping hard, it looked like a potential short again at first in the beginning of the dump.  I had approximately 120 BTC when I dumped with it.  Bought back in on the dip and it dumped hard again, then again.  I was getting burned and losing BTC.  That's when I said, "enough... it's over."  Sure enough the climb upwards was over and settled with 110 BTC.

I don't feel I would be as level headed with leverage.  I would probably be too cautious as well and get out too soon or get in too late.

I tell people all the time who play poker, "You cannot play the way you NEED to play in a cash game if you are not COMFORTABLE with the amount you have sat at the table with.  If you are not comfortable with losing $1,000, you have no business buying in for that much cause you will be too protective of your stack and less likely to bluff when you need to in order to take down a pot, etc..."  

One cannot play poker the way it should be played if they are fearful of losing what they bought in with.  It's best to be comfortable with what you bought in with before one can be comfortable with playing poker the way it should be played.  I believe the same applies to trading.

Very good analogy, never thought about it that way.

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:38:53 PM

I am thinking of a coinbase account where I could exchange between ETH and BTC easily, if I could just figure out the timing aspect.

I found out the hard way in order to trade any crypto and/or currency pairs, you MUST be "on call" 24 hours a day!  What I mean by that is the following:  You MUST set alarms for whatever crypto or currency pairs you trade.  Your alarms will be set for points NEAR entry or NEAR exit.  Your alarm can sound at anytime, even while sleeping.  When sleeping is the worst  Cheesy  but I deal with it.

Features I like on BitFinex are the ability to make the following orders:  Limit order, Market order, Stop order, Trailing Stop order and Fill or Kill order.  This takes alarms out to a certain extent but I still like to create alarms as a precaution.  I also like the ability to "HIDE" your order so it does not appear on the order book for all to see and make decisions that could affect your position since you have "exposed" your position.  Especially, if your position is a large order.

I've also found tradingview.com to be a valuable tool when making decisions for trades.  There is a wealth of information on tradingview.com.  I love the chat box to talk to serious traders about trading.  You can "follow" traders with high ratings from other members, look at their charts they publish for all to see with ideas explaining their position on the charts, etc...  If you choose to sign up at tradingview.com, my username is ProwdClown.

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:40:40 PM

Very good analogy, never thought about it that way.

Thank you! 

Thumbs up!

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:49:31 PM

Here is a sample page of a tradingview.com member I "follow" for trading ideas.  I have 147 people I follow.  Thousands of professional traders around the world use tradingview.com.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:58:29 PM

I sold my 2,300 ETH (approximately 64 BTC worth at 0.0268xx to 0.0275xx + trading fees when purchased on BitFinex) earlier today when I saw it coming back down.  I sold it a tad higher than what I bought it for and managed to only lose 0.2 BTC because of fees.

Since I am new to this thread, I remain a bit uncertain the extent to which Fakhoury tolerates it deviating from its main emphasis, but it appears from the content of your post that each of us are fairly bullish about bitcoin and are not attempting to distract from that perspective in terms of talking about the interplay of other coins (and coin de-jure seems to be ETH... hahahahahaha)

Personally, I think that whenever we are trading any coins, whether BTC or otherwise, we need to include the calculation of the fee whether we take a position and concerning at what point we exit a position.  Whether you make money or lose money on each trade or overall, those are fairly personal calculations and risks, when going in and out of BTC, whether doing so through fiat or alts.

And, yep, I agree that sometimes it is better just to exit a position at a bit of a loss, rather than continue the risk.. likely gets a bit easier to establish these kinds of trading strategies with more and more experience.

Also, when I said I'm officially 52/48 in BTC/ETH, that was only on BitFinex.  I also have and trade Bitcoin on Coinbase and BTC-e.  I don't keep all of my eggs in one basket in case one of the exchanges I trade on get hacked.  So, I was 52%/48% into it for trading purposes to make gains and not for any thoughts of it being a legitimate player in crypto.  Not enough time has passed to convince me of that.

Well, fair enough.  Seems like you and I are engaging in some similar practices of distributing some of our funds in various exchanges, and sometimes also we are keeping track of distributions of coins in various regards.  Personally, I have found it quite a learning experience and a handful for me just to keep track of my various BTC holdings and potential arbitrage opportunities therein and risk management therein, and I had dabbled a little bit with some other coins, but really I found that I was not really personally ready (nor my BTC portfolio) for adding other coins to the complexity of my BTC holdings - and even in light of my other fiat based financial investments.

I'll attempt to give a very summary anecdote to illustrate this point.  I started buying BTC in November 2013, and I bought all the way down, and throughout 2014 and most of 2015, whenever I sold any BTC I replaced them within about 24 hours because I considered that my BTC portfolio was not in a selling position (mostly because it was overall in the red through most of that time).  Since BTC prices remained so low through most of 2015 (mostly in the $200s), I was able to sufficiently acquire an adequate number of BTC throughout that part of 2015 in order to begin to trade in October 2015.  I accomplished this "beginning to trade" position by conceptualizing my BTC portfolio more or less into three divisions:  1) those BTC acquired under $280; 2) those BTC acquired under $380 and 3) total BTC holdings.  Anyhow, initially, I authorized BTC trading only in terms of the first conceptualization, but as BTC prices rose, I was able to increase my authorizations because my average cost per BTC went down and I was slowly able to increase personal BTC trading authorizations.

Also, when I said 52%/48%, that was not percentage of what I have available to invest.  That was only what I had on BitFinex.  I initially had 130.2 Bitcoin on BitFinex.  I purchased ETH [Only with funds on BitFinex] at prices ranging from 0.0268xx to 0.0277xx for a total of 64.2 BTC worth that included fees.  That left me 66 BTC on BitFinex.  I have approximately the same amount on Coinbase and half that amount on BTC-e.  

O.k.. that makes sense...  .. and surely each of us make differing judgements regarding how to divide our coins and how to calculate various aspects of our holdings, and like you suggested each of the exchanges (or coin holding locations) have its own characteristics, opportunities and maybe even limitations... and it appears from your more or less rough calculation of your total holdings that you had traded a bit less than 20% of your total holdings.. which seems a bit more reasonable.. especially if you are able to see some kind of potential opportunity to trade but not to risk everything on such perceived opportunity.

The reason I have half that amount on BTC-e is because it's harder to sell larger amounts on BTC-e than it is on BitFinex and CoinBase.  100 BTC is chump change on BitFinex but considered a damn wall on BTC-e.  

Yeah, it is a bit funny how the dynamics of various exchanges work and I have some coins on BTC-e, Coinbase and some others that are more or less pegged to Bitstamp prices.  I also have some coins on Gemini, Local Bitcoins, Circle and blockchain.info (for direct trading or buying/selling).  I have considered possibilities with Bitfinex and putting coins directly on Bitstamp (and even some other exchanges), but I have not gotten around to it, yet.

If we were to consider all of my holdings in various places, I'm 40% crypto (All BTC at the moment; I did have some ETH for approximately 10 hours), 8% silver, 15% gold and the rest in FIAT.  I don't trade any stocks but I probably should.  Wish I had bought stock in Amazon this time last year for instance.

You are exactly correct to consider the diversification or lack thereof concerning your various financial holdings.. and you seem to be quite a bit more diversified than a lot of the folks who participate in various BTC talk forums.. But, yeah, everyone has their starting points in terms of investments that may take a while to develop and sometimes it takes a while to redistribute allocations..and sometimes we may need to reallocate on the fly (with some risk).

Of course, everyone's distribution is going to differ, and I have quite a bit in various fiat related investments, index funds, business matters and initially, I had intended to invest (slowly move over a 6-12 month period) up to about 10% of my total quasi-liquid investments into BTC, and then see how it played out thereafter.  So I pretty much accomplished the reallocation through 2014 (which was not really the best time to make such plunge, but whatever), and after BTC prices went up starting in late 2015 and currently, my distribution quasi-liquid holdings seems to be somewhere around 13 to 14% in BTC.  Yeah, each of us are going to make different choices regarding this, and the extent that we may need to redistribute and at what times and also depending on our timeline.    Maybe 40% in BTC is too risky, yet that seems to be a question that you need to decide and maybe even reconsider from time to time depending on how the various markets play out, and your personal assessment of various markets in your total portfolio.

hahahahaha... you seemed to have adequately described and disclosed your BTC bullish credentials, and sounds like you have quite a bit more investment in btc than me, and a lot of very decent BTC-related experiences that are going to continue to contribute to your insight into BTC and your various BTC trading strategies, whether you diversify into alts or not or use them as bitcoin building opportunities.

There's certainly nothing wrong with identifying trading opportunities as long as you recognize various aspects regarding the fundamentals - and yeah, sometimes even vaporware can present opportunities if you recognize aspects of the community pumping it.  I cannot hate on anyone making nearly 3x BTC... hahahaha 

I totally agree with you about the centralization of ETH and decentralization of BTC.  BTC still rules in my play book and nothing else comes close yet.  ETH has a lot to prove to convince me it can be a real player in crypto.  

Actually, I am beginning to think about ETH a little bit like some kind of potential quasi-centralized system that can be built upon BTC (at some point), that is if it can last long enough and not get dumped into oblivion... At the same time, there is a lot of misleading information that premise the various ETH pump attempts including suggestions that it is Bitcoin 2.0 and that bitcoin is broken... blah blah blah, whatever.

And, actually, I am no bitcoin monogamist because if at any point in time, it seems better to move over to another coin because of better decentralization and immutability fundamentals, then I will do that.  There is no alt coin that is even close to bitcoin in regards to decentralization and immutability fundamentals.

But, yeah, if you merely recognize pump opportunities with ETH and don't get caught up in the bullshit, then there is no problem to take some risk with some of your crypto money or whatever categories of money you want to conceptualize as being within your risk tolerance to put into it.

In the meantime, I'm going to do all I can to create gains via trading ETH/BTC and ETH/USD.  It's that simple.  I personally believe it offers an excellent opportunity to make some extra BTC.  I have a friend I chat with all the time on tradingview.com who already doubled the amount of BTC he put into ETH a couple of weeks ago and is buying another new car this week.  I told him I'm not messing with it at the time.  I wish NOW I had listened to him.  I could of had approximately 194 BTC on BitFinex right now instead of 130 if I had invested half of my BTC on BitFinex a couple of weeks ago instead of delaying until today.

It is hard to know for sure, and really we cannot get too greedy or kick ourselves because we missed some pump opportunities.  You seem to recognize the gamble, and so yeah you gotta figure how much you would be willing to place at this time (rather than what you could have done... ).. but anyhow, you seem to have a good approach and thinking in regards to a lot of this distribution of risk considerations.

Yeah, hopefully we are not getting too far off topic here, with our trading discussion.

Kind regards,

David

Yeah, sure.  I agree that your article posting may have been misread and misunderstood, yet your substantive clarification post thereafter seems to show that you are probably more bullish about bitcoin (and certainly more invested in BTC) than the average bitcoiner...  Cheesy Cheesy Wink

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 08:58:58 PM

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2016, 09:02:41 PM

Leveraging certainly adds an additional level of complexity to the calculation in which you can profit largely if you play it correctly.  Personally, I am not going to gamble that much with my investment, but I am not critical of those who may know how to employ it wisely, even though it is not for me at this stage in my bitcoin investment/trading practices.

Pages: « 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... 283 »
  Print  

Jump to: