Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:09:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems using Bitcoin-QT on LiveCD  (Read 1089 times)
secretman (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 05:03:03 PM

Hello. I am trying to use a Linux LiveCD to load the Bitcoin client according to this guide. I am not a technical noob but I want to get it to work ASAP. I'm using a MacBook Pro.

First of all, when I burn the Ubuntu 12.04 iso to a disk it's junk. ("the disc you inserted was not readable by this computer")

Second, if I use Ubuntu 10.04, I get these problems when I try to execute the installer script:

32 bit: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
64 bit: It just hangs when I execute the script.

Also, do I need to install QT on 10.04? It's apparently not built in. How do I get it without using the internet?
Envious

Activity: 29

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 05:46:25 PM

Ubuntu is way too popular for the ISO to become corrupted and no one notices. At what stage does the error message appear, while you're burning the disc or when you run it? Are you using decent blank CD's? Are you using 32 or 63 bit?

When you run Ubuntu click the icon that says 'Software Centre' and search for whatever you want to install, though  you should get a basic grasp of how computers work before you try projects like this, it always ends in 'Linux sucks because 'insert easy to solve using Google problem here', im not having a go at you just after spending years on Linux forums it amazes me how people don't know search engines exist, thousands of them.
secretman (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:22:53 PM

Ubuntu is way too popular for the ISO to become corrupted and no one notices. At what stage does the error message appear, while you're burning the disc or when you run it? Are you using decent blank CD's? Are you using 32 or 63 bit?

The error occurs when I try to load the disk. I burned it twice to make sure. It's the 32 bit version. Maybe the file I downloaded got corrupted. The blank DVDs are fine; I put the other version on one of them.

edit: I see now I should use the 64 bit version. 12.04 has QT I presume?

When you run Ubuntu click the icon that says 'Software Centre' and search for whatever you want to install, though  you should get a basic grasp of how computers work before you try projects like this, it always ends in 'Linux sucks because 'insert easy to solve using Google problem here', im not having a go at you just after spending years on Linux forums it amazes me how people don't know search engines exist, thousands of them.

I've used Linux before as my main OS. Obviously I checked Google before coming here.
secretman (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:53:28 PM

Nope, I tried the 64-bit version and it didn't work. There are two disk to select at the startup screen. One of them just displays a blinking cursor. The other one has a menu with options for trying or installing Linux, but when I choose "try Linux" the screen just goes blank.

Did anyone else go through this process with a MacBook Pro?
SAC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:03:37 PM

Nope, I tried the 64-bit version and it didn't work. There are two disk to select at the startup screen. One of them just displays a blinking cursor. The other one has a menu with options for trying or installing Linux, but when I choose "try Linux" the screen just goes blank.

Does that disk have EFI boot support built in? As that is the only way it will boot on a Mac, most use the El Torito/Syslinux BIOS booting.

Edit: One thing you can try is getting the virtualbox software it will allow you to boot an .iso image of the CD/DVD you downloaded and if wanted you can install the OS in a virtual one on your macbook pro.
secretman (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:36:23 AM

Does that disk have EFI boot support built in? As that is the only way it will boot on a Mac, most use the El Torito/Syslinux BIOS booting.

Edit: One thing you can try is getting the virtualbox software it will allow you to boot an .iso image of the CD/DVD you downloaded and if wanted you can install the OS in a virtual one on your macbook pro.

I'm not sure what "EFI boot support" is. I should note that I *am* able to boot 10.04, but it does not have the QT library installed.
Envious

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:56:02 AM

Kubuntu is the only Ubuntu flavor (I hate them for calling different versions flavors) that comes with QT installed by default.

Any Linux distro that uses KDE or Razor-QT will have QT installed by default, there is no reason for others to as they use a toolkit called GTK.
secretman (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:04:56 PM

Kubuntu is the only Ubuntu flavor (I hate them for calling different versions flavors) that comes with QT installed by default.

Any Linux distro that uses KDE or Razor-QT will have QT installed by default, there is no reason for others to as they use a toolkit called GTK.

So, that means that to use the LiveCD approach you either have to use the non-GUI version or connect to the internet at least once to download stuff. Is there a big security issue with the latter option?
Envious

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:59:50 PM

So, that means that to use the LiveCD approach you either have to use the non-GUI version or connect to the internet at least once to download stuff. Is there a big security issue with the latter option?

Kubuntu: http://www.kubuntu.org/

That LiveCD should work with QT out of the box.
secretman (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:49:51 PM

Kubuntu: http://www.kubuntu.org/

That LiveCD should work with QT out of the box.

OK. I actually started using bitcoind but I will probably try Kubuntu, as the GUI route seems less prone to error. Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: