Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:25:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you trust the miners?  (Read 3603 times)
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 10:22:42 AM

yes of course, I am also one of the miners too  Smiley

How much do you trust the pool you mine on?

That's probably the more important question at this point. It's not just the centralization of miners, but the potential power of the pool operators of which there are only a handful. In principle miners could switch off to other pools or create new ones if a pool operator went rogue, but it still makes me uncomfortable that we've traded the board of the Federal Reserve for a similarly sized body of mining pool operators. Is that really an improvement?

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 12:00:13 PM

There is no other way at the moment to trust the miners and the miners have become big corporations that hold a lot of power(and consume it too). The same way we trust our ISP's, without trust we are nowhere. Bitcoin is too big to change the way the miners work, if even possible. As long as the mining operations are stil decentralised there is not much to worry about.

Are there ways to make it possible to mine without the big hardware investments? Corporate thinking in mining corporations is what might kill the blockchain and bitcoin. The basement operated miners at the rise of bitcoin were morre reliable than the big rigs now set up in China. But still, as long as they can only churn and earn, their power is limited. Grinding the operation to a halt will only cost them too..

|Bitcoin|

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 11:11:53 AM

Yes. To make bitcoin the next big thing. We need to be unite and trust each other.
killerjoegreece
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1007

Professional Native Greek Translator (2000+ done)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 12:26:56 PM

I trust decentralised miners and not big companies pulling the strings
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 03:49:48 PM

We do not need to trust in the miners. We should trust in the design that aligns incentives towards good, because of game theory and human nature. This is what allows Bitcoin to function the way it does. Miners can always choose to switch pools and new pools can be created, therefore it is much better then a board at the federal reserve. This level playing field and free market ensures Bitcoins freedom, it has so far at least.
Hugroll

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 03:50:24 PM

we're kinda forced to trust the miners.they keep the blockchain in place.
sorryforthat

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 06:13:39 PM

we're kinda forced to trust the miners.they keep the blockchain in place.

Yeah, without them there really is nothing to be had here. You either choose to trust them or choose to move on from BTC all together
notiely

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 12:47:01 PM

Hey all. Recent developments around the block size debate have sparked alot of discussion about several topics. I've seen many people arguing that BIP100 gives too much power to the miners. I'm not trying to provoke feelings one way or another, I'm just looking to see if people are willing to put their trust on miners about such decisions.

Yes I trust them, but not 100%.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 01:42:16 PM

Hey all. Recent developments around the block size debate have sparked alot of discussion about several topics. I've seen many people arguing that BIP100 gives too much power to the miners. I'm not trying to provoke feelings one way or another, I'm just looking to see if people are willing to put their trust on miners about such decisions.
Why wouldn't you trust the miners? they are the ones who secure the network and maintain decentralization. There is an incentive to every and each miner to avoid the 51% attack.
worhiper_-_ (OP)

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 02:16:28 PM

Why wouldn't you trust the miners? they are the ones who secure the network and maintain decentralization. There is an incentive to every and each miner to avoid the 51% attack.

Around the time I posted this, there was talk about BIP100 giving too much control to the miners. The argument of some was that while miners benefit and are rewarded from bitcoin by nature, their goal is very short term or instant profit, they don't care about bitcoin succeeding, so although the power they have over bitcoin right now is much, users accept that, but trusting them with the block size limit choice seemed to be too much for some. I myself don't think that trusting miners with the block size limit vote would be an issue and hence why I asked this question.
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 03:37:40 PM

I don't trust the miners to make decisions that benefit the whole comunity and not just themselves.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 08:05:39 PM

I don't trust the miners to make decisions that benefit the whole comunity and not just themselves.

If they piss off the community, the coin that they are mining will be worth less and so they will be making less profit.
It is in their interest to keep people (mostly) happy.
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 11:22:11 PM

I think that it will take a while before bitcoiners react to a problem like that.

If they piss off the community, the coin that they are mining will be worth less and so they will be making less profit.
It is in their interest to keep people (mostly) happy.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 12:06:55 AM

Please give examples of what decisions miners might make that would just benefit themselves but be detrimental to the rest of the community? Miners generally have a lot vested in hardware and Bitcoin in general and are keen to see Bitcoin succeed. I certainly trust miners more that a small-time Bitcoin gambler or sig-campaigner who has very little vested in Bitcoin.
Shadowblade

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 02:47:25 AM

if i dont trust the miners my coins wont be here tho
worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 03:39:20 AM

Please give examples of what decisions miners might make that would just benefit themselves but be detrimental to the rest of the community? Miners generally have a lot vested in hardware and Bitcoin in general and are keen to see Bitcoin succeed. I certainly trust miners more that a small-time Bitcoin gambler or sig-campaigner who has very little vested in Bitcoin.

Right now I think it's generally accepted that the power miners have isn't something to be taken away from them as bitcoin has been functioning under those rules for so long. But BIP100 would put the decision on the future of the block size entirely on miners.
MisterMoney

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 04:51:01 AM

If we don't trust them, who else we can trust.
foreveryoung

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 04:57:50 AM

everybody who trust miners is rich,on past time, not nowdays..
worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 05:07:18 AM

everybody who trust miners is rich,on past time, not nowdays..

There are several big BTC ventures that have no good reason to put their full trust on miners when it comes to the block size debate however.
sorryforthat

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 02:01:11 AM

There is no other way at the moment to trust the miners and the miners have become big corporations that hold a lot of power(and consume it too). The same way we trust our ISP's, without trust we are nowhere. Bitcoin is too big to change the way the miners work, if even possible. As long as the mining operations are stil decentralised there is not much to worry about.

Are there ways to make it possible to mine without the big hardware investments? Corporate thinking in mining corporations is what might kill the blockchain and bitcoin. The basement operated miners at the rise of bitcoin were morre reliable than the big rigs now set up in China. But still, as long as they can only churn and earn, their power is limited. Grinding the operation to a halt will only cost them too..

Do you think that the halving and future halvings will play a big role in bringing "basement mining" back into the limelight?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: