Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:11:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: litecoin after bitcoin asics  (Read 6505 times)
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:56:12 PM

after release of bitcoin asics, bitcoin difficulty will skyrocket, as we all are aware of, but what impact will it have on litecoin, as a second most famus crypto-currency?

im guessing most of the gpu hashrate will go to litecoin, infact im 100% sure of that, and difficulty will also be raised by a factor of 100 atleast.

now the big question is, will those new liteconers just dump , or will we see some sort of LTC bubble happening ?

your opinions ?

cheers
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 07:23:08 PM

after release of bitcoin asics, bitcoin difficulty will skyrocket, as we all are aware of, but what impact will it have on litecoin, as a second most famus crypto-currency?

im guessing most of the gpu hashrate will go to litecoin, infact im 100% sure of that, and difficulty will also be raised by a factor of 100 atleast.

now the big question is, will those new liteconers just dump , or will we see some sort of LTC bubble happening ?

your opinions ?

cheers

I personally wouldn't be surprised if a Litecoin bubble happened, I do expect the hash rate of Litecoins to go up a lot between now and next year at this time, but a factor of 100 seems a bit large. Possible, though!

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 07:26:46 PM

I predict the price of LTC will tank when ASICs arrive and GPU miners switch to litecoin.  It will be similar to when the merged mining of NMC started and bitcoin miners who acquired NMC just sold immediately, pushing the price down.  Currently, most people who mine LTC care about litecoin and hold some, but after ASICs hit, there will be many miners who are just looking for revenues in BTC or USD and will sell their mined litecoins immediately.

The only chance of a boost to litecoin price is if ASICs somehow destabilized the bitcoin network and there are credible risks of a 51% attack.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:44:09 PM

I predict the price of LTC will tank when ASICs arrive and GPU miners switch to litecoin.  It will be similar to when the merged mining of NMC started and bitcoin miners who acquired NMC just sold immediately, pushing the price down.  Currently, most people who mine LTC care about litecoin and hold some, but after ASICs hit, there will be many miners who are just looking for revenues in BTC or USD and will sell their mined litecoins immediately.

The only chance of a boost to litecoin price is if ASICs somehow destabilized the bitcoin network and there are credible risks of a 51% attack.

yes, but NMC was awaste , side award, and LTC wont be. and difficulty rise will lower dumps to a minimum, dont u think
Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:00:27 PM

yes, but NMC was awaste , side award, and LTC wont be. and difficulty rise will lower dumps to a minimum, dont u think

Large GPU miners switching from BTC to LTC are likely to need to recoup at least some of their costs, So I think a certain amount of dumping is inevitable regardless of the price or difficulty

DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 08:51:14 PM

Large GPU miners switching from BTC to LTC are likely to need to recoup at least some of their costs, So I think a certain amount of dumping is inevitable regardless of the price or difficulty

With no huge market for LTC, the dumping is just going to drive prices way down due to saturation with no one buying decent amounts of LTC.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 09:50:16 PM

Litecoin isn't merge mined with bitcoin. Nuff said to debunk your speculation.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 09:50:34 PM

When btc price fell below $4 last year, I just pulled the plug on my miners. For any coin, if it's cheaper to buy than mining, it doesn't make sense to mine. This acts as a floor for LTC pricing.

If it doesn't die, it will get stronger.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 09:52:16 PM

With no huge market for LTC, the dumping is just going to drive prices way down due to saturation with no one buying decent amounts of LTC.

Bitcoin started like this when one bitcoin was $0.05 each. Time will tell.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

DeLorean

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:00:41 PM

Yeah, I expect a lot of bitcoin miners to move to litecoin with their GPU's, at least until they sell off the equipment. It won't happen immediately after ASIC's, but it'll happen soon after they come.
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 04:25:35 PM

Yeah, I expect a lot of bitcoin miners to move to litecoin with their GPU's, at least until they sell off the equipment. It won't happen immediately after ASIC's, but it'll happen soon after they come.

yeah, they will, the problem is that there's nothing much to buy for LTC, so the price will probably not go up and mining will become unprofitable for anyone without "free" electricity
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 04:29:21 PM

yeah, they will, the problem is that there's nothing much to buy for LTC, so the price will probably not go up and mining will become unprofitable for anyone without "free" electricity
try harder.
http://wiki.litecoin.net/index.php/List_of_Litecoin_related_services
VeeMiner

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:05:42 PM

try harder.

Yeah, well, it's not much else than hosting and gambling... I mean I'm all for LTC and I have several machines that mine LTC. It just seems too much of "currency only for mining" to me. I hope that LTC will keep on growing and have more services related to it and more use. Now it's not much...
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:23:24 PM

Expect litecoin to grow a lot more over the next few years. We haven't seen the tip of the iceberg yet.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
luffy

Activity: 607

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:38:02 PM

don't forget ppc or solidcoin  Wink
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:51:41 PM

i dont even wanna comment on ppc, and solidcoin i dont know, maybe, if it cannot be merge-mined with btc.

cheers
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 07:06:51 PM

try harder.

Yeah, well, it's not much else than hosting and gambling... I mean I'm all for LTC and I have several machines that mine LTC. It just seems too much of "currency only for mining" to me. I hope that LTC will keep on growing and have more services related to it and more use. Now it's not much...

I'm selling Silver Eagle coins. Seems like people are hoarding LTC given I have 57 eagles for sale for LTC and only like 2 people actually committed through PM for small purchases.

So having goods to buy or services isn't necessarily the issue. The problem is people are just greedy lol and want to hoard their LTC (it appears at the current time).

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

RicRock

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 07:10:34 PM

+1
VeeMiner

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 07:28:09 PM

try harder.

I'm selling Silver Eagle coins. Seems like people are hoarding LTC given I have 57 eagles for sale for LTC and only like 2 people actually committed through PM for small purchases.

So having goods to buy or services isn't necessarily the issue. The problem is people are just greedy lol and want to hoard their LTC (it appears at the current time).

that's great, I love things like these. If I had 750 LTC, i'd go for it (I'm also not in USA so it could be hassle to send them...) maybe when I mine more I will grab your offer, keep up the good work!
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 07:56:48 PM

try harder.

that's great, I love things like these. If I had 750 LTC, i'd go for it (I'm also not in USA so it could be hassle to send them...) maybe when I mine more I will grab your offer, keep up the good work!

Thanks

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: