Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:29:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T has effectively banned Bitcoin nodes by closing port 8333 via a hidden fire  (Read 2156 times)
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 07:17:15 AM

If blocking  any port shuts down your node, then you are too noob to be running one in the first place.

~BCX~

How does your statement above fit into satoshi's original plan of decentralization that involves the average joe being able to run a bitcoin node on his computer?

Your statement only shows that being a noob makes someone unable or unqualified to use Bitcoin essentially. Which is the wrong attitude.

Angry

What ever happen to your monero killing attack that is now almost a year late? Lol

If you talk about what Satoshi said, than please get it right:
The design outlines a lightweight client that does not need the full block chain.  In the design PDF it's called Simplified Payment Verification.  The lightweight client can send and receive transactions, it just can't generate blocks.  It does not need to trust a node to verify payments, it can still verify them itself.

The lightweight client is not implemented yet, but the plan is to implement it when it's needed.  For now, everyone just runs a full network node.

I anticipate there will never be more than 100K nodes, probably less.  It will reach an equilibrium where it's not worth it for more nodes to join in.  The rest will be lightweight clients, which could be millions.

At equilibrium size, many nodes will be server farms with one or two network nodes that feed the rest of the farm over a LAN.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 08:22:22 AM

Change your ISP.
Problem solved Wink

I don't think they have much choice in America.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 03:53:16 PM

Change your ISP.
Problem solved Wink

I don't think they have much choice in America.

I don't.  If my ISP gives me the boot (or endless problems and the opportunity to have an Indian tell me to re-boot my modem and router again and again for hours at a time) I have one other option which is just as bad.  Then it's back to POTS modem-land and my land-line is so poor that v.34 is all I can achieve...on a good day.  No line-of-sight to anywhere interesting so I could not even do my own radio link.

As for getting government backing to force an ISP to let me run Bitcoin, I'm not holding my breath.  In short, my ISP has me by the balls and I'm not going to sacrifice my ability to connect to the internet at all over Bitcoin (which, even at the current blocksize, is already a significant burden in bulk data terms.)  If I had a million dollar mining operation and the corporate infrastructure providers I rely on tells me to jump, I'm going to ask 'how high.'  I'll have to assume that most others with a million dollars worth of gear on the line would do the same.

This Achilles' heal of Bitcoin is a big factor dictating how much value I feel comfortable placing on it relative to alternatives such as gold.  The more the block size grows and the more the solution relies for strength simply on the headcount of users and good graces of the authorities to allow it to operate, the less I can trust it as a robust financial alternative.  But that's just me.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 10:17:38 AM

If blocking  any port shuts down your node, then you are too noob to be running one in the first place.

~BCX~

How does your statement above fit into satoshi's original plan of decentralization that involves the average joe being able to run a bitcoin node on his computer?

Your statement only shows that being a noob makes someone unable or unqualified to use Bitcoin essentially. Which is the wrong attitude.

Angry

What ever happen to your monero killing attack that is now almost a year late? Lol

If you talk about what Satoshi said, than please get it right:
The design outlines a lightweight client that does not need the full block chain.  In the design PDF it's called Simplified Payment Verification.  The lightweight client can send and receive transactions, it just can't generate blocks.  It does not need to trust a node to verify payments, it can still verify them itself.

The lightweight client is not implemented yet, but the plan is to implement it when it's needed.  For now, everyone just runs a full network node.

I anticipate there will never be more than 100K nodes, probably less.  It will reach an equilibrium where it's not worth it for more nodes to join in.  The rest will be lightweight clients, which could be millions.

At equilibrium size, many nodes will be server farms with one or two network nodes that feed the rest of the farm over a LAN.

Exactly what part of satoshi's plan was to oust "noobs" because they shouldn't run a node?

Let's talk about everything I posted in its complete context and not just selectively.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 01:17:56 PM

ATT's hidden firewall is all about conserving IPv4 addresses since there are no more available for assignment in North America.  Without a static IP address it makes no sense to have an open port, whether it is a bitcoin node, a web site, or a mail server.  I believe ATT will rent you a static IP for a monthly fee from their existing inventory.

It may be possible to bypass these problems by configuring your router to run IPv6, either directly through ATT or via Hurricane Electric's Tunnel Broker.  Once you have IPv6 service running you can then run an Ipv6 bitcoin node.   But be warned, Ipv6 is hardly noob friendly.

https://www.tunnelbroker.net/

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: